First of all, I know that this topic has come up before, though I don't know if it was ever an actual feature request or only some babble between lines in other threads. Plus it was years ago now.
I just don't see how there is any fairness in the current system slots are allocated at certain airports (namely LHR, but you could extend the idea to any airport with over 80% slot usage, being marked red in the statistics section).
To come by a few slots I have to reload the slot page every other minute, which is a brainless time sink and does not even guarantee me some slots, as the increment may come just another moment after I reloaded and until I reload again, all the slots are gone to some luckers who just refreshed at the right time.
Then, there are people who have to sleep at fixed times because they work during the day. I understand that certain players don't have to do that, but I do, and seeing how the slot increment has now come for days in a row exactly at my sleeping time saddens me greatly.
This is just playing the lottery and has nothing to do with fairness anymore.
Follows my proposal:
Why not auction the slots at congested airports? The general idea would be, an announcement is made by the system, after which everyone can forward their bid for slots (with a cash deposit to avoid everyone bidding for every slot). Then when the slot increment comes, the new slots are automatically awarded to the highest bidder.
This system would only come into effect if certain parameters are given, such as a certain percentage of slots allocated, and would not be effective for the day 1 slots, but only for increments.
1) take the element of luck out of it and bring back the system to a supply and demand controlled scheme.
2) enable all participants to plan more efficiently - right now I have to fly most flights on different hours every day because I can't get all my slots at the same time. This again restricts other players from planning efficiently because I may block their wished-for times.
3) not come under scrutiny of only giving advantage to a handful of players, as the slot increments only come during the first years and during that time, no airline has the amount of cash to excessively outbid all of the other players on all of the slots, and if they have to, they only have the interest in such a multitude of slots because they are based out of these airports, which means they have all the right to take a hard approach on the bidding.
4) also not come under scrutiny of disadvantaging players based out of those airports, as they are among the top most profitable airports in the game.
5) reduce server load
6) also probably scare some players of from opening their airline at one of those airports, thus providing further ease.
The only argument against this that I have read of in older threads is the angst that players might have too little to do if such a system is implemented.
I don't see that. How is continuously babysitting the slot page better than bidding for the slots once per day?