The Olympics!!!

Started by Frogiton, July 28, 2012, 02:25:14 AM

Frogiton

Everyone ready?!?! Who's your country? What events are you excited for?

AMERICA FOR TABLE TENNIS GOLD!  ;D

ezzeqiel

GO ARGENTINA.... !!

I'm looking forward to see all those weird/un-popular sports that TV doesn't care to show any other time...

Like hammer/jabaline throw, jumping (all it's kinds), shooting, archery, synchronized swimmming, diving, judo, weightlifting, etc...

Also, I really enjoy winter olympics much more... but I still have to wait 2 more years...

LemonButt

I'm American and of course pulling for Team USA.  However, everything has become so sensational that watching the Olympics is almost not enjoyable.  You can watch an hour of the Olympics and get 20 minutes of commercials, 35 minutes of commentary and athlete biographies, and 5 minutes of actual Olympic action.

Dasha

I was mostly excited for the opening ceremony and boy did they deliver. Personally I think this one beat the one in China hands down. Well done Danny! It was a true joy to behold. Sochi 2014 have their works cut out to beat this.

I'm not really interested in most sports other than the gym and the tennis which we (Russia) will probably be quite good at.
The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes, decide everything

NorgeFly

Quote from: LemonButt on July 28, 2012, 03:05:00 AM
I'm American and of course pulling for Team USA.  However, everything has become so sensational that watching the Olympics is almost not enjoyable.  You can watch an hour of the Olympics and get 20 minutes of commercials, 35 minutes of commentary and athlete biographies, and 5 minutes of actual Olympic action.

No commercials in the UK thankfully :)

Frogiton

Quote from: ezzeqiel on July 28, 2012, 03:03:45 AM
I'm looking forward to see all those weird/un-popular sports that TV doesn't care to show any other time...

Also, I really enjoy winter olympics much more... but I still have to wait 2 more years...

I agree, too much running, swimming, and gymnastics on TV. I love the weird oddball sports you never hear of.

I also think that the winter olympics are a bit more exciting.

mean123

I am British, i thought that the opening ceremony was good but i thought that if i wasnt British i may not understand it. I am hoping we come 3rd this year but not a high chance of that hapenning. ;D

stevecree

Quote from: mean123 on July 28, 2012, 10:11:34 PM
I am British, i thought that the opening ceremony was good but i thought that if i wasnt British i may not understand it. I am hoping we come 3rd this year but not a high chance of that hapenning. ;D

HAHA...mean123, our hopes of 3rd look more than possible at this point in time. 

Go Team GB   ;D

Meicci

Quote from: LemonButt on July 28, 2012, 03:05:00 AM

~55 minutes of action, and the other five is commentary here in Finland :)

..And I'm also enjoying a lot more watching winter olympics, since Finland doesn't get medals from these..

swiftus27

NBC pays so much for the olympics.... so much that they pay for it with crazy ass commercials

stevecree

Here in the UK, the BBC, which is free to watch and advert free, has over 20 channels dedicated to showing every single event live.   

These are also duplicated in HD, plus Eurosport 3D !   We're spoiled rotten !

But after watching hours and hours of it I must say I think these games are amongst the best I have ever seen, and I'm very proud indeed to be a Brit  ;D

Infinity

Since Germany sucks at anything but rowing, I hold my thumbs for Team USA mostly.

Frogiton

In America, the Olympics are volleyball, swimming, running, or gymnastics. According to NBC, those are the only sports that exist.

alexgv1

Quote from: Frogiton on August 08, 2012, 05:07:06 AM
In America, the Olympics are volleyball, swimming, running, or gymnastics. According to NBC, those are the only sports that exist.

Beach volleyball was the only sport I watched in Beijing 2008 Olympics, I was staying in USA at the time. I watched those two ladies get their golds after the long hard campaign. Now would there need to be any more sports if that is on all day  :P
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Captim

Go GB!!!

Amazing games for us locals... hope the rest of the world is enjoying it too!

swiftus27

Quote from: Frogiton on August 08, 2012, 05:07:06 AM

Swimming, running, gymnastics...  So that accounts for 80% of the olympics...  You also forgot Basketball... They're busy punishing the olympic field.  Also that American Women Soccer Team... that canadian game keeps getting played over and over.   

Sorry that table tennis/badminton, equestrian events and sailing didn't seem to draw anyone's attention... and the USA mens soccer team didn't even make the olympics (which didn't stop NBC from having an all soccer station). 

There are something like 7 channels showing stuff live in the USA.  They're just putting the sports Americans watch on the marquee stations. 

Sorry, but there's too much anti american stuff that gets said in here that is simply not true. 

Talentz

Quote from: swiftus27 on August 09, 2012, 12:28:14 PMYou also forgot Basketball... They're busy punishing the olympic field. 

USA plays Argentina in 12 hrs. Manu upset??

Sorry, born and raised in SA TX. Would be a slap in the face though... lol!

Talentz

stevecree

So thats it...the Olympics enters the home straight, but I would love to know what's the worlds view is...did London and the UK do a good job of hosting the events ?  Marks out of 10...

brique

Quote from: SAC on August 12, 2012, 12:09:35 AM
So thats it...the Olympics enters the home straight, but I would love to know what's the worlds view is...did London and the UK do a good job of hosting the events ?  Marks out of 10...

I'm a Londoner so maybe a bit biased, but in truth, I thought we'd make a complete lash-up of the whole thing and was dreading the prospect of trying to live and work here while it collapsed into typically British chaos ; so, it not only didn't do that, it seems to have done it all rather well, even the weather behaved itself... most odd...and now, we just have to pay for it all.. oh well, we shall have a nice cup of tea and worry about that later :)

swiftus27

Is London as empty as they're saying?  Stories here show room vacancies and some empty venues. 

Well run Olympics through and through. 

What is the news from elsewhere?