Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] Test world: (and maybe others as well?) Domestic demand from PVG  (Read 694 times)

Glob-Al

• Former member
Looking in the test world I think domestic demand from Shanghai Pudong (PVG) is considerably too low. I don't know if this only relates to the test world or is more widespread.

In the game (2005) demand PVG > PEK is 720, whereas in real life (2012) I can see at least 11 daily flights (not counting codeshares) using skyscanner. I don't have data on what aircraft fly them but from personal experience it will be nothing smaller than an A319 and in many cases A332s.

Two more examples:
In game demand to Xi'an (XIY) 70, compared to 18 daily flights IRL (these will be between A319 and B752 size)
In game demand to Chongqing (CKG) 60, compared to 16 daily flights IRL (again, these will be large-ish sized narrow bodies)

I presume what is happening is the system is trying to recognise SHA as a mainly domestic airport and PVG as the international one. But I think it's over-doing it in cutting down the domestic demand from PVG.

I wouldn't say this was a top priority to fix but it would be good if it could be re-calibrated a little at some point.

Cheers,
Glob-Al
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 03:09:09 PM by sami »

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Test world: (and maybe others as well?) Domestic demand from PVG
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 01:18:59 PM »
The question is, are the demand levels the same as in other games?

If yes, then not a bug. And if so, no changes are planned to it since the possible new demand system is in thinking currently.

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 03:06:02 PM »
As I understand the demand system is roughly basing on specific data of every airport concerning numbers of domestic, short -haul and international demands at a certain date, afterwards adjusted to the overall state of industry and economics concerning the actual situation per game, afterwards manually corrected in some cases regarding world politics and occasions.
So most of the numbers generated are generally computed and can only roughly reflect the real-life situation. It would be just impossible to do this on a manual manner for every given possible route at any possible date. And of course this principle will stay in the future, when area-based demand will be modelled. This game is computer-based and run by formulas. Feel free to evaluate a new "world formula" beside Einstein´s to depict every aspect of the entire world. But I don´t think it is very helpfull to ask Sami for corrections every time you observe differences between real-life and game.

Greets
Christian

Offline Jona L.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 03:51:47 PM »
Not even talking about any technical things, but you do notice, that Hongquiao (SHA) is the domestic airport for Shanghai, and Pudong (PVG) is the primary international one, having less domestic flights. Comparable to HND and NRT.

cheers,
Jona L.

Glob-Al

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 04:00:16 AM »
The question is, are the demand levels the same as in other games?

If yes, then not a bug. And if so, no changes are planned to it since the possible new demand system is in thinking currently.

That was my question too Sami! I'm not in another GW at the moment so can't check. I suspect it's probably not a bug, but thought I'd post in here in case it is, or in case it's a fairly easy thing to tweak some demands manually when you have real life data that shows the automatic system hasn't quite got it right. If neither of those things are the case then no worries, I'll just base somewhere else next time :) (don't worry Christian - I have no intention of trying to be Einstein!)

Jona - You're right that PVG is more internationally skewed and SHA is almost exclusively domestic. But it's not the same as NRT and HND - PVG still carries a lot of domestic flights (more than SHA on many routes), both to connect on to international services and because of limited slot capacity at SHA. For example, as mentioned above there are 16 daily flights PVG - CKG... but there are only 7 SHA - CKG. In game (2005) though, daily demand PVG-CKG is 60, whereas SHA-CKG is 1110.

I live in Shanghai btw so I experience this first hand every time I can't get a flight out of the far-more-convenient SHA and have to trek 40km out to PVG!! If I'm going to have that inconvenience IRL I want my airwaysim passengers to have it too dammit  :P

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 03:09:05 PM »
MT#6
ZBAA/ZSSS  8850
ZBAA/ZSPD  1440

Test world
ZBAA/ZSSS  5250
ZBAA/ZSPD  820

==> Looks normal.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.