Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: A320/B738 vs MD83  (Read 2070 times)

Offline ezzeqiel

• Members
A320/B738 vs MD83
« on: June 24, 2012, 06:34:22 AM »
I noticed these 3 aircrafts have very similar specs, but there's a huge preference over Airbus followed by Boeing and almost no preference over McDonnell (at least in the beginners world)...

I looked the 3 of them, and the only differences are: fuel consumption, (MD burns 1500kh/hr more -40%-), speed (0.76 for MD, and 0.78-79 for Boeing and Airbus), maintenance costs (4k more for A check and 10k more for B check in MD), and purchase price (14m less for MD).

In games where the fuel is cheap (like beginners game), I don't see any objective reason to buy an airbus or boeing over MD... The only benefit would be the commonality between the A320 family, which would give me a lot of choices for different short routes... (the MD commonality has fixed passengers options)

But I see right now 1021 pending orders for airbus, 334 for boeing and 3 for MD, which gives an important advantage to MD, since you can have the MD probably a year before an airbus.

So, am I missing something here ??... why does everyone prefers Airbus famliy over MD ??...

-Does commonality has such a huge impact ??..

-Does A320/B737 family versatilty matters in terms of scheduling short or regional routes, or ordering engines variants ?

-Does 40% fuel reduction pays off the 1 year waiting for the airbus in more competitive worlds where the fuel is more expensive  ?? (because it definitely does not on this game where the fuel is 187 USD)

Greets, and sorry for the bad writing, spelling and grammatics =P

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: A320/B738 vs MD83
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 08:41:31 AM »
People usually tend to ignore the MD-80 due to the higher fuel usage, and it being slightly older model.. But this makes it interesting choice as the availability of the planes is usually good. (I've used them many times with my small test airlines, that usually start late in existing game worlds...)

Fuel usage vs. plane price is also a factor one should consider (= if you pay $10mil more of the plane, you can buy quite many gallons of jet fuel with that difference...).

Jona L.

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 08:54:48 AM »
Commonality has a huge impact indeed, but that is only one of the reasons to decide for A32X/1X or B737NG. The question is: would you prefer a portion of french fries with a sh*tty beer (American ones, e.g. :P ) if you could be invited to the Ritz Carlton, or maybe the Waldorff Astoria and have a 7 course meal? I would not...
so why take the random rubbish the others leave over, if you can also eat from a golden plate?

Not saying that airbus is any much worth it, but in this game apparently A32X is a better choice than a B738/9, which in real life are no better than equal.

MDs may be cheaper to buy, but as you mentioned it sucks 40% more fuel, which once you join the more serious games, gets really much money. 40% that is the difference between a +20% margin or -20%. Check cost are rather unimportant, and only start to become a factor with C and D-checks. Still being a minor difference.

You should look into the future more than just the year of delivery delay... you will get the Airbus 1 yr later, but it will be profitable even with the fuel prices in 10 yrs time, while you MD's start losing cash in less than 5.

cheers,
Jona L.

digifreak

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 09:03:58 AM »

I have a slightly different opinion,  I've started nearly all my airlines (since the beta games) with MD-80s (when available) and to be honest I don't regret at all doing that choice because those aircrafts when properly used can be awesome specially when the fuel price is low.

Now I've said goodbye to those beautiful birds, but I recommend them to any new airline out there because they are faster than the boeings 737-100 to 500, cheaper and widely avaliable on the used market making it a great ac if ou want to expand your airline fast, and when you grow big enough you can start buying your A320, B737s or MD-90's.

Edit: Edited to remove the picture.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 08:49:36 AM by digifreak »

Jona L.

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 05:03:25 AM »
because those aircrafts when properly used can be awesome specially when the fuel price is low.

For every aircraft there is a proper use.

And if fuel price is low, it takes 0 skill to play with any aircraft. A B707 can be awesome, if fuel price is low enough.... even Russian/Soviet built stuff can! The problem is, that any fuel spike will hit you more than the other airlines using other a/c.
Skill comes to action when fuel rises, and that is when MDs will let you down.

Also a little hint, to not get you and/or sami in trouble: Give credit if you use pictures from 3rd party websites.

cheers,
Jona L.

Offline ezzeqiel

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 12:01:05 AM »
MDs may be cheaper to buy, but as you mentioned it sucks 40% more fuel, which once you join the more serious games, gets really much money. 40% that is the difference between a +20% margin or -20%. Check cost are rather unimportant, and only start to become a factor with C and D-checks. Still being a minor difference.

You should look into the future more than just the year of delivery delay... you will get the Airbus 1 yr later, but it will be profitable even with the fuel prices in 10 yrs time, while you MD's start losing cash in less than 5.

When fuel averages 189: The A320 saves 1.2M a year and it costs 12m more, so it gives you 10 years until the Airbus starts to actually make profits over the MD.. without even thinking about the 1 year lost earnings and the cost of money (the MD saves you money now which you can invest in more planes).
EDIT: Actually, the A320 will be profitable a couple of years before that, due to lower maintenance costs, a few more PAX capacity, and slightly faster speed...

When fuel averages 1000: the A320 saves 7M a year, so it will be making profits over MD in less than 2 years...

(I made those calculations flying 18hs/day).

I still think MD's better in cheap fuel worlds, but in expensive ones, I'd go for Airbus without even think about it...

However, I'd agree with digifreak... If MD83 availability is better, I'd go for them the first years (plus you will grow faster with lower purchasing/leasing costs), and change to airbus as soon as I'm making enough money and have access to production lines (and can afford the waiting), in order to replace them all once the fuel rising hits...

I'll tell my experience as soon as the next MT restarts ;)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 12:10:39 AM by ezzeqiel »

Offline BOEING717

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 12:40:23 AM »
I rode the MD wave to one of the largest airline in BW. When I joined and even now, MD aircraft are so much easier to get. Yes the cost a bit more to operate but are cheap to buy and lease and very easy to find. Go MD and grow or wait in line. I thought it was an easy choice.

Just ran some numbers and the MD-90 (though not in your list but the new MD in the game) is only about 10% more on fuel. Fuel is at 170 right now and an MD-90 costs about 2 million per jet on fuel (running between 2 to 4 flights, 2 longer haul is about 2.2 and 4 shorter routes about 1.8)

The MD-83 costs about 2.7 million on the same routes.

With the MD almost 10 Million less to buy then the AB and Boeing one would need to save close to a Million per year to make up the cost. Right now I am not seeing the gain in not going MD. Even with fuel 4 to 5 times more it would be a push unless my numbers are wrong.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 03:36:01 AM by BOEING717 »

Sanabas

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 04:25:44 AM »
Actually, the closest planes in terms of spec are the MD90-ER and the a320-200 with the standard Aero engine. 10 NM difference on range. Price difference currently in MT is 7 million. Fuel burn difference is 280 kg/hour. Call that 1500-1700 tonnes per year, depending on utilisation. At $200, that's 300-340k. At $600, about a million. At $1200, $2 million. Plus there's another ~250k savings in maintenance.

So that's anywhere from 3 to 12 years to make up the price difference if you're looking at just those two. But the a320 has 6 more seats, is a little quicker, and more importantly, also comes in a 192 seat option, a 126 seat option, and can give you up to 500 NM more range.

The MD is still fine, and depending on your situation, it might be a much better option than the a320 due to the cheaper price and shorter queues. But usually, the extra flexibility and long-term savings of the a320 makes it a better choice if you're able to get a steady supply.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.