Multiple flights (planes) on single route?

Started by Michal82, June 17, 2012, 05:08:22 PM

Michal82

I have basically 2 questions.

1) What is the effect of flight frequency on a load factor on a given flight, i.e. flying daily versus having just one flight a week?

2) In case, I have flight to a destination 6 days a week and I would have the extra 1 day operated by different plane, i.e. different flight. Is this single flight recognised as complementing my 6 days flight to the same destination? Or would that be taken as a sole single day flight and I would struggle with my LF%?

Thanks in advance for your feedbacks.

Jona L.

Quote from: Michal82 on June 17, 2012, 05:08:22 PM
I have basically 2 questions.

1) What is the effect of flight frequency on a load factor on a given flight, i.e. flying daily versus having just one flight a week?

2) In case, I have flight to a destination 6 days a week and I would have the extra 1 day operated by different plane, i.e. different flight. Is this single flight recognised as complementing my 6 days flight to the same destination? Or would that be taken as a sole single day flight and I would struggle with my LF%?

Thanks in advance for your feedbacks.

for 2) It would be counted as 7 flights per week --> 1 flight per day, given that the single-day route is flown on the day left out by the other one.

1) is a bit more complicated...

Frequency -sadly- is the all deciding factor on you LFs and your copetitive force. Dare you not fly a route at least once a day, you'll be screwed, unless you already have Route Image (RI) of 100. Flying less than once a day has about the factor 1:15-20 on your market share, despite only delivering 1:8 of the flights (given your competition only supplies once a day). Double the factor for each daily flight your competitor offers. So, if you have one flight a week and your competitor offers 2 flights per day you get raped 1:30-40 in the marketshare. No problem, if the demand is far from served, but if the route is already over served, your LFs will remain terribly low.

Try to fly routes at least 1/day, then you are on a safe side ;)

cheers,
Jona L.

EsquireFlyer

Quote from: Jona L. on June 18, 2012, 06:43:17 PM
Frequency -sadly- is the all deciding factor on you LFs and your copetitive force. Dare you not fly a route at least once a day, you'll be screwed, unless you already have Route Image (RI) of 100. Flying less than once a day has about the factor 1:15-20 on your market share, despite only delivering 1:8 of the flights (given your competition only supplies once a day). Double the factor for each daily flight your competitor offers. So, if you have one flight a week and your competitor offers 2 flights per day you get raped 1:30-40 in the marketshare. No problem, if the demand is far from served, but if the route is already over served, your LFs will remain terribly low.

I was wondering about this. If there is no competition on the route (for example, due to a short runway that you can work with but most of your competitors cannot, using their fleet types), is it OK to fly it just 6 times a week (and expect full planes if the demand matches your capacity), or do you still get penalized for flying less than once per day?

Jona L.

Quote from: EsquireFlyer on June 22, 2012, 05:29:57 PM
I was wondering about this. If there is no competition on the route (for example, due to a short runway that you can work with but most of your competitors cannot, using their fleet types), is it OK to fly it just 6 times a week (and expect full planes if the demand matches your capacity), or do you still get penalized for flying less than once per day?

If no competition you should be a'right, don't expect 100% LFs, but 60% should be reachable...