So...just experienced my first emergency landing

Started by ucfknightryan, June 08, 2012, 11:13:39 PM

ucfknightryan

On a two week old SWA 738.  They had some strange fumes so the FD had to check us out, and now they're powering up to return to the gate.  Fortunately nothing appears to be seriously wrong.  Fun times...

Would attach a picture of the fire truck but my phone won't let me

swiftus27

ucfknightryan

Quote from: swiftus27 on June 09, 2012, 12:13:37 AM
betcha its covered under warranty  :o

Lol they better hope so.  As the flight attendant repeatedly told us before takeoff, while we were delayed, they own it and they payed cash.  $45m to be precise.

[SC] - King Kong

You know you're not supposed to use your mobile device when the doors are closed  :o

Zombie Slayer

Quote from: Airlinemaster on June 09, 2012, 12:06:37 PM
You know you're not supposed to use your mobile device when the doors are closed  :o

After landing, it is acceptable to use your phone while taxing to the gate in the USA. After push and prior to departure it is still doors closed, phones off.

Don
Don Collins of Ohio III, by the Grace of God of the SamiMetaverse of HatF and MT and of His other Realms and Game Worlds, King, Head of the Elite Alliance, Defender of the OOB, Protector of the Slots

[SC] - King Kong

Ah, I'm totally not familiar with the rules in the USA.

I have been screamed at by a AZ FA. Treathening me she would call the police bla bla.

In europe, when the door is shut, phone should be on flightmode or off. And during taxi and takeoff not to be used in any way (also not in flightmode). It could be very distracting when the plane would crash. You are however allowed to read your newspaper during taxi so it's ofcourse pure nonsens.

Jona L.

Quote from: Airlinemaster on June 09, 2012, 01:05:23 PM
Ah, I'm totally not familiar with the rules in the USA.

I have been screamed at by a AZ FA. Treathening me she would call the police bla bla.

In europe, when the door is shut, phone should be on flightmode or off. And during taxi and takeoff not to be used in any way (also not in flightmode). It could be very distracting when the plane would crash. You are however allowed to read your newspaper during taxi so it's ofcourse pure nonsens.

LOL, never had an issue with that, normally I only switch my phone off on 2hr+ flights, to save battery, but anything below I can't be asked to do :P

iPod never off, just in flight mode, I need some entertainment ;D

knutm1980

Quote from: Jona L. on June 09, 2012, 01:34:01 PM

iPod never off, just in flight mode, I need some entertainment ;D

your ipod has flightmode?

Jona L.

Quote from: knutm1980 on June 14, 2012, 08:34:09 AM
your ipod has flightmode?

Yap :) go to "settings" top option: toggle flight mode on/off. Dunno if this is only available on 4G model, but I have it :)

Talking of which: I have by now 3 times seen pilots use iPhones + Speakers to listen to radio music on flight deck, and if the phone does not disturb the systems it is lying on, don't care for switching it off ;)

ArcherII

Quote from: Jona L. on June 14, 2012, 11:34:35 AM
Yap :) go to "settings" top option: toggle flight mode on/off. Dunno if this is only available on 4G model, but I have it :)

Talking of which: I have by now 3 times seen pilots use iPhones + Speakers to listen to radio music on flight deck, and if the phone does not disturb the systems it is lying on, don't care for switching it off ;)

I have an mp4 connected to my Bose headsets for the long cruises in the Metro. Don't know if it affects or not some nav instruments, but surely less than our Aera500.

Airbus101

the issue the FAA is concerned with is volume of untested wireless devices.  currently they have no standard of testing devices so they are illegal for use.
also they would be the first to concede that 1 device may not bring down the aircraft but if all 218 people in the back are all activating thier own different versions of wireless devices
you begin to get excessive bleed-over, which again has not been tested.

additionally turning you devices off for takeoff and landing is more of a form to keep you paying attention to the FA's so if an emergency occurs you can hear, see and obey the commands and not burn to death ensnared in your own wiry ipod/laptop harness of death and killing all your tweeting friends around you.

additionally fun facts, old style Cingular cell phones and a few others would scramble the Com radios when they rang below 5000 feet if you were close to the cockpit,(you would get a heavy chattering buzz on the coms,  I had one it would scramble mine)  even Pilots are required to fully turn off the aircraft laptops and store them during ground movement, takeoff, and landing.  as you probably already knew those pilots using the Iphone were breaking Federal regulations.  

I do agree that FAA really needs to do some testing as most WIFI and electronics are safe to use the problem arises when you go from 1 device to 200+  

My example I use when I'm questioned in the cockpit by visitors is screaming babies on a airplane, 1 screaming baby is annoying but we can all deal with it.  200+ screaming babies would probably cause the plane to return to field....

Quote from: Jona L. on June 14, 2012, 11:34:35 AM

knutm1980

I used to listen to my old walkman whilst flying, in the days when you could even smoke whilst a plane was stopped for a refuelling stop. Why can we not listen to an ipod or other mp3 devices? My only reasoning is if s*** hits the fan, we won't hear the alarm? And on my last flight with AA..I was waiting for the fasten seat belt sign to be turned off..didn't go off for 8 hours..!!! But oh well, I defied them and stuck on some choones.

Maarten Otto

The whole "no mobiles allowed" thing is nonsense (and yeas, that has been studied) and is only there to satisfy the insurance companies...

Troxartas86

Quote from: Maarten Otto on July 10, 2012, 09:59:14 AM
The whole "no mobiles allowed" thing is nonsense (and yeas, that has been studied) and is only there to satisfy the insurance companies...

Imagine a plane filled with hundreds of business men with their phones glued to their ears talking loudly for the entire flight. That alone is why I hope the rules are never changed. A couple dozen people who never hang up could be just as bad as the screaming babies. On my last flight someone was singing along to their iPod two rows back and it took a lot for me not to get up and choke them while I tried to read.

exchlbg

Exact the same thing even in public transport. People are so stupid they don´t even care if 20 people around them get to know about their or other people most intimate problems.Imagine having such an idiot glued next to you for hours.

Pilot Oatmeal

But above 3000 feet it doesn't really matter because it'll be very difficult getting any signal. I once had a transmitter failure in a cherokee approaching an airport so I got my phone and called the tower and said I'm g-**** you can't hear me, I'm obvs not transmitting.  So they cleared me on the phone haha.  So hey, mobile phones do come in handy in the air!

knutm1980

Quote from: exchlbg on July 12, 2012, 11:07:04 AM
Exact the same thing even in public transport. People are so stupid they don´t even care if 20 people around them get to know about their or other people most intimate problems.Imagine having such an idiot glued next to you for hours.

The amount of nosey people is actually a bit ridicolous..I've seen people follow conversations of buses and trains..works both ways. hehe

Also, when did talking to yourself in public become considered sane? These people used to be called crazy..

cmdrnmartin

It's all a funny point about electronics, since many airlines that I know of are rolling out iPADS with flight docs and CAPS on them in place of paper copies.  They've got mounts on the yokes for the pads so you can have your plate just like if you had a paper cap.