Top 20 airports 2012

Started by knutm1980, April 24, 2012, 02:07:38 PM

Jona L.

Quote from: knutm1980 on April 24, 2012, 02:07:38 PM
http://www.worldairportawards.com/Awards_2012/top20airports.htm

Discuss.  ;D

This is not about size, is it? more about "top" - quality or so, right?

Otherwise, where has ORD gone under the 50m plus airports? Additionally ATL can't have lost that much... otherwise Delta would have had a new CH11 recently...

knutm1980

I guess user feedback on quality yes.

Surprised Heathrow scores so high..I find that place a nightmare, except terminal 5.

[ATA] - lilius

Jona..isnt it obvious enough if you look at the airports?  :laugh:

[ATA] - lilius

Quote from: knutm1980 on April 24, 2012, 03:42:30 PM

Surprised Heathrow scores so high..I find that place a nightmare, except terminal 5.

Yes Heathrow is so claustrophobic unless youre in terminal 5.

And for the discussion... it looks like Asian airports are doing extremely well. Is there any general reason to why that is?

Jona L.

Quote from: lilius on April 24, 2012, 03:44:06 PM
Jona..isnt it obvious enough if you look at the airports?  :laugh:

I just feared, that LHR would have been shrinking again, versus those high-growth asian markets :P

Jona L.

Quote from: lilius on April 24, 2012, 03:45:15 PM
And for the discussion... it looks like Asian airports are doing extremely well. Is there any general reason to why that is?

Just look at Tokyo metro... people don't care if they are treated like s*** in Asia :P

Not meaning to be racial of course ;)

knutm1980

Quote from: lilius on April 24, 2012, 03:45:15 PM
Yes Heathrow is so claustrophobic unless youre in terminal 5.

Only been to a couple of them, Changi is very pleasant..Singaporeans do know how to provide service like that.

CDG seems to be climbing..one of my least favorite airports in Europe. Kind of like heathrow, just even more of a mess.

JumboShrimp

Quote from: knutm1980 on April 24, 2012, 03:42:30 PM

That's the one I was really surprised about as well...

mtnlion

Quote from: Jona L. on April 24, 2012, 03:49:29 PM
Just look at Tokyo metro... people don't care if they are treated like s*** in Asia :P
Not meaning to be racial of course ;)
Have you even ever been to Tokyo metro?  ::) People do care how they are treated, especially in Japan. They even have ladies-only parts in the metros and they always have seats for the elders etc. Asian people might be more accustomed to have less personal space, but in my experience they do care how they are treated. They actually even bow in the phone, that's how polite they're to each other.

But on-topic. I don't really know what to think about top20 airports. I mean I prefer Helsinki Airport over London Heathrow and FRA. Way more convenient. But top5 is ok.

I've understood that Skytrax gives stars to the airlines based on the size of the cheques. I mean Hainan airlines got 5 stars  :laugh:

Cardinal

Quote from: Jona L. on April 24, 2012, 02:57:51 PM
This is not about size, is it? more about "top" - quality or so, right?

Survey says...

QuoteABOUT THE WORLD AIRPORT AWARDS

The results are based on 12 million passenger surveys completed during a 10-month survey period, covering over 385 airports. The survey evaluates the total passenger experience across 39 airport service and product features, from arrival at an airport, through transit and departure processes to the boarding gate.

alexgv1

I guess the only reason Heathrow made it was due to Terminal 5. It's the only redeeming feature. Although the shops were too expensive/high class for somebody like me who wants to pick up some reading material and a teddy bear for my little cousin. The East and South terminals suck... so many horrid memories of T1,2,3. Apparently a horrible airport for pilots too (other than the "prestige" factor).

Mostly Asian airports are clean, spacious and efficient, so no surprise they dominated the top.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

knutm1980

Quote from: alexgv1 on April 25, 2012, 12:25:35 PM
Mostly Asian airports are clean, spacious and efficient, so no surprise they dominated the top.

The few countries represented from Asia is hardly a clear indication of Asia as a whole. I'd say in general, airports in the US and europe are cleaner than most airports in Asia. I lived in Manila for years, Ninoy Aquino or other airports were hardly what I would call efficient or necessarily clean. Asia is home to a lot of poor and underdeveloped countries.

Perhaps the most efficient airport I ever flew from was Mombasa..bags on the belt before you even got of the A/C.  ;)

alexgv1

Haha I knew some expat would get picky. I wouldn't want to be the one to say 80% of it is a dump. And I know some of the regional airports for example in Indonesia have rubbish facilities. But what I speak of is the international hubs which are mostly what westerners get to see. I'll endeavour to explain myself better for those less perceptive on the board.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

knutm1980

Quote from: alexgv1 on April 25, 2012, 03:25:45 PM
Haha I knew some expat would get picky. I wouldn't want to be the one to say 80% of it is a dump. And I know some of the regional airports for example in Indonesia have rubbish facilities. But what I speak of is the international hubs which are mostly what westerners get to see. I'll endeavour to explain myself better for those less perceptive on the board.

;D