New feature: Game Mentors

Started by Sami, March 23, 2012, 09:14:33 PM

Sami

A new feature is available in AirwaySim game worlds - mentoring.

User mentoring is a play concept aimed to help new players to learn better the various tricks of AirwaySim simulations. In essence mentoring means that an experienced player is able to view the player's airline in full detail and in this way help the user to learn the game play.

Mentoring is completely voluntary for both parties, and is highly recommended for new players who have trouble getting started.

Please read more about the concept from manual: https://www.airwaysim.com/game/Manual/General/Mentor/

We also encourage all experienced players who are willing to help the newbies to participate in this mentoring program.

MattMarderosian

rsdworker

exellent and useful for me because in past there was no mentoring
well done

Miller11

I am a mentor in MT6 and the system seems to be working well.

I have one question though. As we communicate via PM has the PM limit been increased?

Thanks Miller11

JumboShrimp

I don't know if I am being dense.  How do I offer my services as a game mentor for the Beginners world?

Sami

JumboShrimp

knobbygb

Great idea and I've 'registered' already.  I think it will be very popular from both sides.

The one problem I can see is this.  Most of the really experienced players tend to play in all the game worlds (except Beginners World of course - and they would if they could  :-\ ) so it may be difficult for a newish player to find a good mentor when they begin their first REAL game world.  And I think that's the time when they're most likely to need help.

I can see why there is the limitation - no mentoring in a world you're playing in, but really - would someone who's willing to offer their time end experience really not do their best for the mentee (?).  I've even helped people in the past who I've been in direct competition with.  I'd like to think that we're a friendly bunch here and none of us would abuse the position, but maybe I'm over-trusting and naive. Dunno.

How about a limit that you CAN mentor in a world you're playing, but only an airline based in a different country - or even a different continent.  Yes there may be one or two routes of competition, between the two bases, but so what!

Miller11

Quote from: knobbygb on March 24, 2012, 05:49:29 AM
Great idea and I've 'registered' already.  I think it will be very popular from both sides.

The one problem I can see is this.  Most of the really experienced players tend to play in all the game worlds (except Beginners World of course - and they would if they could  :-\ ) so it may be difficult for a newish player to find a good mentor when they begin their first REAL game world.  And I think that's the time when they're most likely to need help.

I can see why there is the limitation - no mentoring in a world you're playing in, but really - would someone who's willing to offer their time end experience really not do their best for the mentee (?).  I've even helped people in the past who I've been in direct competition with.  I'd like to think that we're a friendly bunch here and none of us would abuse the position, but maybe I'm over-trusting and naive. Dunno.

How about a limit that you CAN mentor in a world you're playing, but only an airline based in a different country - or even a different continent.  Yes there may be one or two routes of competition, between the two bases, but so what!

I see your point, but we all know that in the real world, some people do not play by the rules. That's why we have police,You would at some stage find that someone would take advantage, especially if it meant helping out their alliance, or a friend....  Imagine your helping someone out and they are in a battle with one of your friends....some, actually most of us would play fair. But you would always finds those who don't. This has happened before just look back six months in the forums and you will see what I mean.

SAMI...I think it might also be a good idea for the mentors to be marked by the mentored. As this would help to see if any patterns are forming, and also create competition between the mentors to be the best, thus helping the mentored as  best as they can.

Sami

Quote from: knobbygb on March 24, 2012, 05:49:29 AM
The one problem I can see is this.  Most of the really experienced players tend to play in all the game worlds so it may be difficult for a newish player to find a good mentor when they begin their first REAL game world.

Indeed, but having a mentor play in the same world as the player will create to many "risks" and also would require rethinking of the logic (technical) behind the system. Also any checkings for overlapping routes or such is overly complicated and won't be done.

So for now, let's see how it works.

knobbygb

QuoteI think it might also be a good idea for the mentors to be marked by the mentored.

I agree.  Maybe not a 'mark' as such.  Just a "Positive" or "Negative" would do.  Perhaps like they use on Ebay, if everyone's familiar with that.  Perhaps then mentors with a certain number of positive feedbacks could have more scope and those with too many negative could be stopped from mentoring.

Quotealso would require rethinking of the logic (technical) behind the system

Yeah, sorry, as a former DBA and programmer I should have thought of that. Two different presences in the same database 'instance' would be a problem, yes?

QUESTION:  Is there a specific place for feedback on this feature or should it be posted here?  I just did my first mentoring and I already have a few points to raise.

fatalsw1tch

schro

Quote from: knobbygb on March 24, 2012, 06:54:57 PM
QUESTION:  Is there a specific place for feedback on this feature or should it be posted here?  I just did my first mentoring and I already have a few points to raise.

I'm wondering the same. I need a home for the following comment: "Holy PMs, batman".

Pukeko

It would be useful to be able to see the used aircraft market when mentoring (with the option of leasing/buying turned off)

Dave4468

Is there an establish etiquette to dropping people? I've started mentoring three people, one has replied and I'm helping, the other two are still to reply to my first PM. I'd rather drop those two and help people who might actually reply.

Sami

Well, if you cannot establish communication in let's say two days, then you don't need to spend your time on them...

knobbygb

QuoteIt would be useful to be able to see the used aircraft market when mentoring (with the option of leasing/buying turned off)

I agree. I'd actually say it's pretty essential!  I guess the problem here is with the 'calls' feature?

Also, it'd be good to have access to the aircraft seat config pages.  Same applies - to be able to add a config. but not actually be able to apply it to an aircraft.  My mentee had aircraft types I'm unfamiliar with and I needed to see which ones could have what types of seat and how many.

And a read-only 'Create new flight' which would fail if you actuaully clicked OK?  It would be useful to see how long the flights might take for new destinations or aircraft types.

Dave4468

I really think mentors need to be able to see the used market and new aircraft pages.

I cannot usefully recommend to my mentored airline what sort of fleets to look at, which he is asking, because I cannot see the production lists and queues or the state of the UM. I don't want to tell him think about type x and then after he has order find out I've unintentionally stuck him at the end of a 5 year queue.

Surely it is just a matter of removing the buy and lease buttons for mentors.

alexgv1

Or allow production lists page for mentors to see aircraft queues?
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

ICEcoldair881

one question - if it doesn't show up in your profile at all, that means you are NOT eligible for mentoring, correct?

Cheers,
ICEcold