Question about route schedule changes for new airports

Started by knobbygb, March 08, 2012, 04:41:12 PM

knobbygb

This is probably a bit pedantic but I've been meaning to ask for a while.  MUC/EDDM just replaced the old Munich airport in DOTM3 so I took some screen shorts to illustrate the question.

What happens if the timings for the new route are longer (or shorter I suppose) than they were before?  In this example, each leg is 5 minutes longer.  The schedules change over automatically to the new airport but the actual timings don't seem to be updated.

In the screenshot you see that the flight originally departed base at 12:30 and arrived back at 15:00(+1) (marked (1) on the graphic). Even after the changeover the scheduling page reflects these old times (2). Yet, in the update route page the new timings are shown (3).

This suggests to me that the aircraft is still flying to the old timings even though this isn't physically possible.  If I press 'Confirm' then the new times are applied, but until I do that the old times seem to be retained.

I know (as an ex-programmer) that this kind of quirk was probably quite a nightmare during designing the system (what if, for example, the times WERE to be updated but then the route failed to fit into the existing schedule?) but I just wondered if there's anything I need to be aware of.  For example, in this case, the A-Check is scheduled at the earliest opportunity (4) yet this is no longer actually possible. 

What if the time changes were more than just 5 minutes each leg?  Has anybody had problems they've actually noticed?  I'm going to leave these flights alone and see if the delays increase noticeably.

Sami

route times are not recalculated when airports move as they generally are so close together.