Aircraft Condition?

Started by Karl, March 01, 2012, 05:37:36 PM

Karl

Can someone explain what good "aircraft condition" is?   ???

I understand that it is a combination of age, take off, etc.  But...how can a plane be in:
*100% condition and need a C check in 22 days?
*94% condition and have an expired C check?
*100% and have both C & D checks expired?

I have just seen used aircraft in such "condition"!   >:(

schro

Condition fluctuates over time depending on usage and how close to B/C/D checks it is. For example, a new plane that you purchase will start at 100%, but over the course of its first 10 years, it will probably fluctuate betwen 90-100%. As it gets older, it might trend a bit lower than that, but most likely no lower than the mid-80%'s. Remember that checks are related to TIME and not USAGE, whereas condition considers USAGE and maint performed.

If I'm remembering correctly, unless your condition is below 80%, you won't see a significant impact to its reliability in operation. I will generally lease aircraft down to 80%, and that number will improve as you use it and properly maintain it back to the above stated ranges.

Sami

A/B/C/D checks are time based, condition is irrelevant there.

(to simplify - flying reduces condition. Checks must be made on regular intervals to keep the condition up (or not going down as fast as it would without checks), and even if not flown the checks will expire according to calendar)

Karl

Quote from: sami on March 01, 2012, 10:01:33 PM
A/B/C/D checks are time based, condition is irrelevant there.

(to simplify - flying reduces condition. Checks must be made on regular intervals to keep the condition up (or not going down as fast as it would without checks), and even if not flown the checks will expire according to calendar)

When selecting a used aircraft, I look for the newest aircraft with the longest time to its next check - especially a D check.  I usually sort the list by age, and then look at "condition", but "condition" rarely helps find a good aircraft.

My question is:  how does knowing the "condition" help or hurt in trying to select a used aircraft?
Why even list "condition" if it is relatively meaningless - or ay least not helpful?   ::)

JumboShrimp

Quote from: Karl on March 01, 2012, 11:56:02 PM
When selecting a used aircraft, I look for the newest aircraft with the longest time to its next check - especially a D check.  I usually sort the list by age, and then look at "condition", but "condition" rarely helps find a good aircraft.

My question is:  how does knowing the "condition" help or hurt in trying to select a used aircraft?
Why even list "condition" if it is relatively meaningless - or ay least not helpful?   ::)

To see if the condition is below certain threshold.  That is usually 88%.  Above that, you can just put it in service and forget about it.  Below it, expecially siginificantly below, you may need to do some repair.  Otherwise, you may end up with delays / cancellations due to technical problems...