Quick beta available

Started by Sami, February 13, 2012, 09:55:11 PM

Sami

Quote from: saftfrucht on February 14, 2012, 06:17:27 PM
Actually, if it does not involve transporting passengers, I don't think it adds any realism to enable more than one techstop.
Very few routes operate with even one in reality, let alone two.

The sim can be played in 1950.

Check the routes back then..

Dave4468

Quote from: saftfrucht on February 14, 2012, 06:17:27 PM
Actually, if it does not involve transporting passengers, I don't think it adds any realism to enable more than one techstop.
Very few routes operate with even one in reality, let alone two.

I've flown a modern flight with two (DXB-BKK-SYD-CHC) on a 77W although they are not technically pure tech stops they do happen still. In theory Sami could you use the URL to add as many tech stops as you want or is two the limit of the system?

Infinity

Then Jet Age needs to run on another version. I see this as a serious problem, there are already some players (no namedropping from my side, a lot of people will know who I am talking about anyway) who "exploit" tech stops in such a way and it will not become better by adding this feature, which, plainly said, serves absolutely no purpose in game worlds like Modern Times since there are planes that are capable of flying every route imaginable nonstop.

Quote from: DaveP1991 on February 14, 2012, 06:46:17 PM
I've flown a modern flight with two (DXB-BKK-SYD-CHC)

I don't doubt you have, I know there are routes with multiple stops, but almost all of these routes need Fifth Freedom to work, and since Fifth Freedom has been patched out of the game, it is totally pointless to add the possibility for more tech stops.

It is true, back in the day, a Europe-Tokyo run for example made 3 or even more stops due to range limits of the aircraft. But the times when most of the passengers on those routes were booked to the final destination and these stops were mostly pure tech stops are long gone, so in game worlds like Modern Times were there are planes with excessive range plus no Fifth Freedoms from the games side, I see this feature as a serious threat to the fairness on long haul routes.

Pilot Oatmeal

Quote from: saftfrucht on February 14, 2012, 06:48:05 PM
Then Jet Age needs to run on another version. I see this as a serious problem, there are already some players (no namedropping from my side, a lot of people will know who I am talking about anyway) who "exploit" tech stops in such a way and it will not become better by adding this feature, which, plainly said, serves absolutely no purpose in game worlds like Modern Times since there are planes that are capable of flying every route imaginable nonstop.

Not true, there  is definitely still a need for tech stops in Modern Times, runway requirements that limit fuel load/weight etc. To many reasons to name, but they are still needed.

Sami

Then Jet Age needs to run on another version.

This feature will be available in every game world.

But as mentioned, techstops beyond one stop won't probably be any use in modern games.

and since Fifth Freedom has been patched out of the game, it is totally pointless to add the possibility for more tech stops.

Technical stopovers and 5th freedom are not related in any way. You do not carry / drop passengers at the refuelling airports.

Infinity

Okay then, I ask you to present a single route that needs two tech stops due to runway length. There are none, because it is logically impossible.
If I want to fly from New York to Jorge Newberry in Argentina, a 777 can do the job, but cannot land there due to the shortness of the runway. If i have it land somewhere in Urugay and then hop to Jorge Newberry, it's not a problem (I don't know if the 777 can actually ever land in Jorge Newberry, but thats not the point).
Where would the need for a second tech stop fit in? Nowhere, thats where.

Quote from: sami on February 14, 2012, 06:55:31 PMtechstops beyond one stop won't probably be any use in modern games.
They will, thats the point I'm trying to make. It may not be profitable, but players with alot of money in the background will be able (and judging from past behaviour of some, no doubt will use this possibility) to hurt players and drive them from certain routes or even into bankruptcy if they are already on the edge.

Sami

Quote from: saftfrucht on February 14, 2012, 06:56:50 PM
Okay then, I ask you to present a single route that needs two tech stops due to runway length. There are none, because it is logically impossible.

Read what I wrote previously, pls... The sim is usable from 1950s onwards. Back then multiple stops were widely utilized and that's why this update is made.

Under no circumstances will "old" and "modern" games run under different rules or versions. Especially since the long term goal is to make very long worlds that span from 1950 to 2020s, and due to other (technical) inconveniences.

(This is not a debate topic for this feature. It will be made and implemented .. since it is already made and there is a clear need for it in the "big picture" and long term plans - any debate should have been made months ago in the features forum.)

JumboShrimp

It is not a question of tech stops but frequency.  Tech stops are independent of frequency.  With this update in mind, I made this feature request:
https://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,38007.msg202922.html#new
(which apparently you already found).

There were some issues with pax loads per leg of a flight (I intend to test that) which hopefully will be fixed in this build.  This updates add a lot of flexibility, and streamlined user interface...

Zombie Slayer

I like the airline timetable under the airline's information page-great for quick reference and, in my opinion, a great added feature!

The new scheduling interface is quicker and easier to use, but I have found one major issue with it that, for me, will make life more difficult. It is no longer possible to ctrl+click to open the open route screen in a new window. For most of my scheduling, 7 day or not, I will open a tab for each destination I intend on serving and then, for 7 day scheduling, at least, arrange them from Monday-Sunday then begin opening the routes and assigning them to aircraft. With this update, and the elimination of the ability to open new scheduling tabs, I will have to go through the whole search function to open a tab for each destination thus adding clicks and time to the process.

Is there any way to fix this, Sami?

Don
Don Collins of Ohio III, by the Grace of God of the SamiMetaverse of HatF and MT and of His other Realms and Game Worlds, King, Head of the Elite Alliance, Defender of the OOB, Protector of the Slots

connorc17

My only complaint is with the opening new route feature. I'm using safari on windows and when I receive a list of airports I can fly to from my base, I try to open a new tab for each destination by right clicking the green arrow. However this takes me right back to the beginning of the open a new route feature. This is creating a lot of unnecessary difficulty for me as I'm trying to 7 day schedule planes.

Sami

Quote from: jetwestinc on February 14, 2012, 07:28:16 PM
Is there any way to fix this, Sami?

Tested and a bit hard.

Since the "confirm routing" is a submit-button (similar to "post" here in forum) and browser cannot do ctrl+click to new tab on those. Recommend to open 1 route, then use the 'copy this route to next day' fnction (visible in the "OK route is now created" window)

Sami

Quote from: connorc17 on February 14, 2012, 07:44:09 PM
My only complaint is with the opening new route feature. I'm using safari on windows and when I receive a list of airports I can fly to from my base, I try to open a new tab for each destination by right clicking the green arrow. However this takes me right back to the beginning of the open a new route feature. This is creating a lot of unnecessary difficulty for me as I'm trying to 7 day schedule planes.

This should work now.

rafseb

could i also participate in this beta

rafa

Meicci

Quote from: rafseb on February 14, 2012, 08:19:05 PM
could i also participate in this beta

172 open spots still left.

diskoerekto

I am probably doing something stupid because this is not what this beta testing is about but when choosing base airport during game starting, there was no auto-carrying of the selected base airport to the startup page. As far as I remember when I selected an airport there should have been a button to close the popup and carry the 4-letter code of the airport to the startup page. I somehow couldn't manage to do that and typed the 4-letter code manually.

terminalwander

Time zone and airport size does not reset when canceling stopover.

If I select a view schedule in new aircraft it does not allow me to add routes I added early.  I am going to try to recreate a few more times.

diskoerekto

this is probably too much to ask in this stage (beta-testing) of development but selecting of tech stops could have been fancier. For example it may suggest me a list of airports that are near the great circle arc and near the max range of my aircraft (or near halfway between airports). Also, there can be a warning if the airport couple selected are normally unreachable without a tech stop. What I am imagining is something like:

Departure airport: EHAM
Destination airport: LGIR

Warning!!! Your Fokker 50 (max range 540 nm) may only fly this route (1339 nm) with 2 tech stops. First stop may be on for example LJLJ, LJPZ or LIPQ. Second stop may be on for example LATI or LYTV.

EDIT: I assumed multiple tech stops were included but it seems only 1 tech stop is possible. Am I doing sth wrong? I tried to do EHAM-LJLJ*-LATI*-LGIR-LATI*-LJLJ*-EHAM but failed to do so.

EDIT2: I just saw your earlier post. Doing it manually via address bar.

EDIT3: https://www.airwaysim.com/game/Routes/Open/EHAM/LGIR/LJLJ,LATI/LYTV,LIPQ/?go=1 worked ok. Will UI be changed to accomodate this style?

diskoerekto

another thing: with tech stops being increased to 2, it is quite hard to adjust timing when one of the tech stops have a curfew. As of now the only method I can find is manually calculating. In the route open page where the distances between legs are displayed, the curfews of airports (if exists) and the time of techstop can also be displayed (in red if it hits a curfew).

connorc17

Quote from: sami on February 14, 2012, 08:09:10 PM
This should work now.

Just tried and I'm getting the same result. My issue was the same as jetwestinc's. Would switching browser's help or is this problem applicable to all browsers?

Edit: Just kidding! Tried it again and it works! Thanks Sami!

diskoerekto

another thing: When user selects a tech stop airport for outbound flight, there should be an option to select the same for the inbound leg instead of finding the same airport once again since most of the time the tech stops will be the same stops both ways.

EDIT: also in the same page one cannot know if the selected stop is good for the range of a plane or not. the distance between each leg can be shown in this page instead of the next page (instead of the page where we select time and airplane etc).

Also when the user sees the range was a little too much, it should be possible to edit the techstop from that page (the page where we select time and airplane etc). If returned with the back button of the browser, it goes all the way back where we select base and destination. It becomes a clickfest.