A380s being inspected for cracks

Started by swiftus27, January 26, 2012, 01:20:07 PM

alexgv1

No offense but this is hardly breaking news. What's the point of the thread?
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

swiftus27

I just put all aviation articles I find in here.  Have asked for an aviation news sub forum but until that appears, this is the best spot.

alexgv1

So you can discuss the news with AWS community I suppose?

Now put a post undermining Boeing to be unbiased  :D

schro

This has been circulating the news media for many weeks now - what about this is new?

JumboShrimp

Quote from: schro on January 26, 2012, 07:05:28 PM
This has been circulating the news media for many weeks now - what about this is new?

Several stories of cracks (in non-critical areas) appeared over last several weeks, so it is new as far as I can tell.

alexgv1

Airbus found two non related cracks in QF and SQ airframes some weeks ago.

Anything about the A380 and the press inflates it... I suppose the downside to the press of a plane such in the public attention.

Nobody makes a deal about the fatigue cracks in the SWA 737s, or the roof that came off in flight, or the AA 757 that came under turbulence and injured several people, or the fact that the ANA 787 is currently grounded in Frankfurt.

swiftus27

Quote from: alexgv1

Nobody makes a deal about the fatigue cracks in the SWA 737s, or the roof that came off in flight, or the AA 757 that came under turbulence and injured several people, or the fact that the ANA 787 is currently grounded in Frankfurt.

Now put a post undermining Boeing to be unbiased  :D

I never mentioned Southwest's planes because none of them have had it happen in the last few months.  They're ancient fleet of 737 classics is going to end them.  It was big news in the US.  Great thing they've been rapidly converting to NGs.  I don't fly SWA out of KCLE.  It is all CO/UA here.  

In all honesty, they take EVERY air traffic bit of news way too seriously in the US.  They are way over reported honestly.  The Dash 8 that crashed in Buffalo a few years ago (last large crash in the US... and it was a DASH 8!) was on the news for over a month.  There were op-ed pieces about pilot fatigue and training.  It went on forever.   There is a fascination with this type of stuff in the USA.  Morbid curiosity.... kinda like wanting to see blood at the accident that caused you to be late to work that day.  

I am not partial to Boeing.  Please stop generating this cross-Atlantic rivalry.  Most of the planes I fly on are made in Brazil anyway.
https://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,35908.0.html   (Regarding American Airline's Bankruptcy)  

Quote from: alexgv1
Anything about the A380 and the press inflates it... I suppose the downside to the press of a plane such in the public attention

Dont build a flashy centerpiece like the Concorde and then complain that it gets too much attention when something goes wrong.  

alexgv1

True point mate. Like I said the PR has its ups and downs.

Please don't feel I'm attacking you. It's the biased and ignorant press who my fury was directed at.

swiftus27

Quote from: alexgv1 on January 26, 2012, 08:18:48 PM
True point mate. Like I said the PR has its ups and downs.

The press ruined McDonnell Douglas.  The DC 10 was a decent plane (yes, tough to control, but it was designed 40 years ago).  It was the airline's fault for going directly against the manufacturer and used a forklift to remove an engine.  Of course, many of us know that story.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Airlines_Flight_191

...  All the things we could have done with another builder in the market pushing for more innovation.    I could only guess what the MD 12 would have been!?!?!?

alexgv1

I think they were nice planes with features which were good for pilots and operators alike, such as dial-a-flap.

It was nice back then that it wasn't a duopoly with makers like Lockheed and MD, at the time when British aerospace industry was in decline (so we didn't have much to offer).

I hope the market changes in the next decade that the duopoly is broken again, but airlines seem unwilling to change from convention, even for a Canadian manufacturer.

lunchbox

Quote from: swiftus27 on January 26, 2012, 08:14:00 PM
I never mentioned Southwest's planes because none of them have had it happen in the last few months.  They're ancient fleet of 737 classics is going to end them.  It was big news in the US.  Great thing they've been rapidly converting to NGs.  I don't fly SWA out of KCLE.  It is all CO/UA here.  

Go Conited lol 8)

Dave4468

Quote from: alexgv1 on January 26, 2012, 08:29:50 PM
I hope the market changes in the next decade that the duopoly is broken again, but airlines seem unwilling to change from convention, even for a Canadian manufacturer.

It won't. Both Boeing and Airbus are huge companies with long histories that no other company has. Boeing is just an ancient (relatively) aviation company with no one else like it and I can't think of anywhere in the world with the pre-requisite conditions for the formation of another Airbus-esqe company.

Unless Embraer start looking into bigger aircraft...

LeoDario

Well my dad said the Boeing 747 was too big to fly
Then he said the Airbus 380 was too big to fly
I'm not sure this makes sense but he is now like I told you so. Because it now has some cracks

alexgv1

Sure it will be fine, looking at the great benchmark record set by the 747.

swiftus27

Alex, I'd start a thread about this because I am not biased... but even a plane skidding off of a runway in snow made the news:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/30/travel/delta-flight-runway/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

oh an update on the A380s
http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/25/travel/airbus-a380-cracks/index.html?iref=obinsite