Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Lessons Learned- A Guide To Newcomers  (Read 33036 times)

Offline Maarten Otto

• Members
    • My photo site
Re: Lessons Learned- A Guide To Newcomers
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2010, 09:17:19 AM »
Full games take almost 5 months...

Wildwezul

• Former member
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2011, 11:40:05 PM »
Ok I have a question, when i played this a few years ago Actual airline names were not allowed to be used, and there was a place to report those airlines using real world names.... is that still around? The new beginner world is rife with those names.

Offline BobTheCactus

• Members
    • AeroBlogger.com
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2011, 02:52:51 AM »
Start reporting :)
Editor of AeroBlogger
If you're interested in blogging on aviation 3x/month or more:
http://AeroBlogger.com/Write

Wildwezul

• Former member
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2011, 03:17:54 AM »
yeah, but where? There use to be a thread just for it years ago.

murloc787

• Former member
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2011, 03:23:21 AM »
yeah, but where? There use to be a thread just for it years ago.

On the airline summary page (when you click another airlines name) there is a button to report a airline name in the bottom right hand corner of the top "airline information" box, above the "fleet" box

SA2011

• Former member
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2011, 12:17:40 AM »
Ok I have a question, when i played this a few years ago Actual airline names were not allowed to be used, and there was a place to report those airlines using real world names.... is that still around? The new beginner world is rife with those names.

Does this apply to currently operating real-world airlines ONLY or to any airline that has ever existed, even if trademark(s) are expired?

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2011, 12:25:25 AM »
Does this apply to currently operating real-world airlines ONLY or to any airline that has ever existed, even if trademark(s) are expired?

I'm pretty sure it's only current/active airlines.  If you wanted to call yourself Pan-Am I think it's fair game.

Curse

• Former member
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2011, 12:31:11 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's only current/active airlines.  If you wanted to call yourself Pan-Am I think it's fair game.

Pan Am trademark is still in use :/

If you can prove the trademark has expired (or you own the trademark or have the allowence to use it in a game like this), it should be ok. But normally this does not happen to well known trademarks (like Pan Am).

SA2011

• Former member
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2011, 02:16:19 AM »
Do ya think "Southern Airways" would be ok?  Not that I'm doing worth a da#n with it anyways...

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2011, 02:25:48 AM »
Most of these names are banned.  Be careful that many were taken over through various M&As.  That doesn't mean they are retired. 

Also, you report illegal names now on their own airline page.

MichaelNishanian

• Former member
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2012, 11:06:33 PM »
I would like to know what effect the type of seats offered on an aircraft have on the load factor of a flight? In other words if I fly a route with many competitors, will I have an advantage if my aircraft offer premium seating?

Thank you in advance

Michael Nishanian
Terris Aviation

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2012, 12:27:15 AM »
I would like to know what effect the type of seats offered on an aircraft have on the load factor of a flight? In other words if I fly a route with many competitors, will I have an advantage if my aircraft offer premium seating?

Thank you in advance

Michael Nishanian
Terris Aviation

Hello Michael. Sami answered the question generally, in the following thread: http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,42842.0.html

Generally speaking, Prem seating helps command a better price. It is somewhat effective against competition to a point. There are many variables that decide when a pax will fly with you and at one price they will pay. The more of those factors in your favor, the better your off overall.

Talentz

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2013, 02:37:40 PM »

Offline SkyKing

• Members
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2013, 01:05:57 AM »
I know it's very tempting to start from a very popular hub, but you can make good profit even from hubs that don't seem so popular (50% - 60%).  If you don't want to be hammered with competition, choose a hub that isn't at the top of the list (80% - 100%).  Find routes that have mediocre demand (250 - 700 demand per day) that no one else is flying. 

In order to enjoy good load factors, do not overload the route with capacity.  If the route only has a demand of 300 seats per day, make only one flight per day (depending on the aircraft you choose).  Use that airplane to fly a couple of different route with around the same amount of demand.  If you provide only ~half the capacity of the demand for a route, your load factors will be much better than if you provide 100%+ of the route demand.

What type of aircraft?  Make sure you choose aircraft with at least 100 seats.  Aircraft with fewer seats may be tempting (cheaper leases, maintenance, less crew, fuel, etc.), but these aircraft will not provide the necessary profit for your airline.  The airplane's direct costs will be more than covered (and the aircraft will show a profit), but the plane will not be able to generate enough revenue to cover your airline's overhead (salaries, marketing, etc.). 

When choosing aircraft, be sure to scrutinize all the numbers.  Not all used aircraft are created equal (even the same exact type of aircraft).  Be sure to view how much your A, B, and C checks are going to cost.  Used aircraft have HUGE differences in maintenance costs depending on type, age, hours flown, and number of landings. 

Be patient when leasing aircraft.  Have an idea of what you think is a good bargain (based on cost, age, etc.) and stick with it.  Your airline will do much better in the long run if you are using good, decent aircraft instead of anything that comes along.  Also, look into changing the config on aircraft to get some business seats (C class) thrown in.  Yeah, it costs a little more to reconfig, but you can make bank with those C-class (charging up to 3 times as much as coach!).  Make sure the routes you're going to fly have business demand, however!

Hope this helps! 

I'm new to AWS, even though I registered last December, I finally got the courage to join in the fun.  My question pertains to the above 2nd paragraph about not overloading the route with capacity.  What if that route was serviced by other airlines as well and the total number of seats offered on a daily basis was 1000 seats.  Would I still follow the same strategy by offering less than the daily demand?

Offline Teadaze

• Members
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2013, 01:47:36 AM »
It's case by case. I if you are in a busy airport and there are other route that offer similar demand then u may want toinvest on other rroute n just keep a small presence to raise Ci. I however if it is a money route then consider bomb the route to the point you fill 110+% yourself.

Obviously the decision is based on how far in the game, and how many competition n slot situation etc

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2013, 10:16:04 AM »
Itīs simple math. If all other parameters are equal, every flight gets an equal share of potential PAX. So if your "PAX decision parameters" (price,flight times,RI/CI,comfort) are better than competition, you get a bigger share of the cake.If not, your share is smaller than average. Itīs not the question of overall seat capacity if route is overserved already, itīs number of departures, number of contestants and their level of quality. If overstuffing a route, do it on contested ones, not with those you serve alone.

AntonyShannon

• Former member
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2013, 10:25:10 AM »
well I have begun to learn my lessons. Now on my 3rd re-start. have my 2 reasonably new A320-200's operating virtually non stop all day apart from the 5 hrs 'A' check time; even then I have managed to utilize the free time left between the end of the 5 hour check and the start of the next retation to to insert a flight on each plane to a nearby airport so it has a flight in the evenings twice a week. Hopefully I won't fall into the bottomless pit of despair again

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2013, 03:47:52 PM »
Iīm afraid, you will, but then for other reasons.There are many lessons to be learned......
There are many mistakes to make that show their consequences only years into the game......But thatīs what keeps this game interesting.

alexis

• Former member
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2013, 03:55:37 AM »
i cant even get that far i form airlines name everything but i want to form homebase nothing shows up but blank screen i tryed everything iam done >:(

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2013, 12:31:29 AM »
Screenshot?   This is not an error I've seen

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.