Airlines want Passenger Duty Scrapped

Started by Dave4468, November 17, 2011, 11:27:05 AM

Dave4468

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15769179

Interesting. Also I never thought I would see Michael O'Leary and Willie Walsh together.

alexgv1

Would be nice to see it scrapped as it hurts the low cost business plan. Maybe will see those £1 tickets with RYR again some time soon  ;D

Pathetic that the only defense they can muster is environmental. Same as that EU tax for foreign airlines. I really can't stand those environmentalist hippies. Go look at the shipping industry before you get overtaken with nimbyism on aviation, which only contributes 2% of global carbon emissions. It is also the industry doing the most to get greener.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

thedr2

It's absurd. I think I read a couple of months back that Virgin had changed some of their holiday flights from Florida to the Carribean, simply on UK tax reasons! It's also cheaper tax-wise to fly via most european countries over the atlantic, even though twice as many flights are involved.
I was at a talk with Willie Walsh a few weeks back (where he was very open about the unannounced BMI bid!) and he made it very clear he did not think the Government fully understood the effects of taxing aviation.
Hopefully Mr Cameron will wake up and do something about it, though somehow I doubt it!  ::)