Busiest long-haul routes by aircraft movements

Started by vitongwangki, November 15, 2011, 04:27:06 PM

vitongwangki

While I am looking into the stats about this, I could find some related data like wikipedia, but it only reflects the pax number. And the table of aircraft movements was dominated by domestic or short-haul routes.

I would like to ask if anyone can provide me some link for the data. :) Thanks a lot.

swiftus27

Depends on whether or not they're using 757s instead... ha!

LemonButt

Here is a list from 2006 of the "fastest growing" routes between 1996-2006.  I assume these are probably the busiest long haul routes and summarily would have the most movements, although the A380 may have changed that:

1. London-Dubai up 848,270 seats

2. London-Chicago up 552,691 seats

3. London-Hong Kong up 481,675 seats

4. Melbourne-Singapore up 470,023 seats

5. Sydney-Singapore up 441,954 seats

6. London-Singapore up 407,773 seats

7. London-Mumbai up 390,940 seats

8. Dubai-Singapore up 370,630 seats

9. London-New York up 369,885 seats

10. Brisbane-Singapore up 308,952 seats

London-Dubai and London-Hong Kong both appear to have ~84 weekly flights (12/day).

swiftus27

Quote from: swiftus27 on November 15, 2011, 04:58:21 PM
Depends on whether or not they're using 757s instead... ha!

To clarify, it is a slight rip on the number of 752s ppl use for trans atlantic flights in aws. 

vitongwangki

Quote from: LemonButt on November 15, 2011, 05:36:04 PM
Here is a list from 2006 of the "fastest growing" routes between 1996-2006.  I assume these are probably the busiest long haul routes and summarily would have the most movements, although the A380 may have changed that:

1. London-Dubai up 848,270 seats

2. London-Chicago up 552,691 seats

3. London-Hong Kong up 481,675 seats

4. Melbourne-Singapore up 470,023 seats

5. Sydney-Singapore up 441,954 seats

6. London-Singapore up 407,773 seats

7. London-Mumbai up 390,940 seats

8. Dubai-Singapore up 370,630 seats

9. London-New York up 369,885 seats

10. Brisbane-Singapore up 308,952 seats

London-Dubai and London-Hong Kong both appear to have ~84 weekly flights (12/day).
Thanks for information provided, I can see London - Hong Kong has 9 daily (4x CX, 2x BA, 1x VS, 1x NZ, 1x QF although that one will soon terminated) I will look into other routes you've provided. Thanks  ;)

alexgv1

BA actually cut a flight or two between LHR-HKG a couple of years back IIRC.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Kazari

I get that JFK-LAX is domestic, but it is a long-haul route: It takes just a little bit less time to fly it than LHR-DXB.

Getting rid of codeshares, I just counted 31 individual flights a day between the two.

vitongwangki

Quote from: Kazari on November 16, 2011, 04:05:12 AM
I get that JFK-LAX is domestic, but it is a long-haul route: It takes just a little bit less time to fly it than LHR-DXB.

Getting rid of codeshares, I just counted 31 individual flights a day between the two.
Thanks for the input. JFK-LAX is the most frequent flight in that range. (2000-2500NM) And I think domestic and international makes some difference (due to local authority restriction on slots)

swiftus27

How about Trans Pacific flights?  Doesn't seem to be too many of those.

vitongwangki

Quote from: swiftus27 on November 16, 2011, 01:23:40 PM
How about Trans Pacific flights?  Doesn't seem to be too many of those.
Trans-pacific routes are long and are hard to maintain frequency. The demand isn't that high compared with TATL routes.

swiftus27

Quote from: vitongwangki on November 16, 2011, 01:34:09 PM
Trans-pacific routes are long and are hard to maintain frequency. The demand isn't that high compared with TATL routes.

I understand the distance.  You could also add in the lack of Trans Pac flights originating out of South America due to extreme low demand.   

I am just curious if you/someone could dig that data up.  I am interested in seeing what the most popular routes are for those.

vitongwangki

Quote from: swiftus27 on November 16, 2011, 02:38:34 PM
I understand the distance.  You could also add in the lack of Trans Pac flights originating out of South America due to extreme low demand.   

I am just curious if you/someone could dig that data up.  I am interested in seeing what the most popular routes are for those.
I guess NRT-LAX, although I have no real data.

swiftus27

you also have Auckland and Sydney to consider too.  Plus there are many other cities that fly to Narita/Haneda from the US now.  

Then you now have flights over the poles.

vitongwangki

Quote from: swiftus27 on November 16, 2011, 02:46:41 PM
you also have Auckland and Sydney to consider too.  Plus there are many other cities that fly to Narita/Haneda from the US now.  

Then you now have flights over the poles.
ICN-LAX: 6
NRT-LAX: 6
SYD-LAX: 5
HKG-SFO: 4
ICN-SFO: 4
NRT-JFK: 4

thedr2

Quote from: LemonButt on November 15, 2011, 05:36:04 PM
Here is a list from 2006 of the "fastest growing" routes between 1996-2006.  I assume these are probably the busiest long haul routes and summarily would have the most movements

Bad assumption. If that were the case, you would also come to the conclusion that China's domestic traffic is about 10 times greater than that of the US.  :P
The asian markets have experienced a lot of growth lately and that will topple the figures in their favour. Note a well established route like London-New York is unlikely to experience a lot of growth, but is almost certainly greater in movements than Melbourne-Singapore.

swiftus27

Quote from: vitongwangki on November 16, 2011, 02:53:26 PM
ICN-LAX: 6
NRT-LAX: 6
SYD-LAX: 5
HKG-SFO: 4
ICN-SFO: 4
NRT-JFK: 4

What do you consider, then from Chicago?  Detriot?  Minneapolis?  Seattle?  There have to be 3-4 coming from each of them as well.   See people, I think that is a substantial difference in the USA.  Unlike most other nations who have one to two MAJOR airports, it seems as if the USA has much lower frequency per airport but also many more origins to choose from.

Edit, I failed to add Toronto.

vitongwangki

Quote from: swiftus27 on November 17, 2011, 12:24:21 PM
What do you consider, then from Chicago?  Detriot?  Minneapolis?  Seattle?  There have to be 3-4 coming from each of them as well.   See people, I think that is a substantial difference in the USA.  Unlike most other nations who have one to two MAJOR airports, it seems as if the USA has much lower frequency per airport but also many more origins to choose from.

Edit, I failed to add Toronto.
Would you mind do me a favour, find some example that more than 6 dep. per day?

And I guess you miss a point that I am searching the busiest routes. The Trans-pacific flight concentrated in North-East Asia and west coast, because of its geographical advantage. And again, as I have said, to maintain the flight frequency, more planes would be needed if the route is longer. In US, the trans-pacific flight concentrated in LAX because it is a big hubs, while SFO is a city with a lot Asian immigrants.

For ORD, MSP, DTW and SEA, their connection to Asia is weak so I simply neglect them, and what I can only found is ORD-NRT with 3 dep. per day.

swiftus27

I don't disagree with that. 

What I am saying is that I find it amazing that there are 5-6 airports in the USA flying to Narita, HK, SYD,....  Find another nation thousands of KM away that share that.  Heck there is even a JFK to NRT flight... UGH... 

I find all of this amazing because I believe that the Dreamliner will open even more routes.  Now non-primary airports will have regular Trans Atlantic service.  If this economy improves, I think we will soon have a new day of passenger travel.   Direct flights from  Gatwick to Cleveland?  NO PROBLEM!  Great thing is that KCLE is still a hub for Continited.  You won't have to fly to EWR or IAH to get into Continited's network.   

This could lower congestion at major airports hopefully and improve the safety of air travel as a whole.