Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: can you change engines?  (Read 945 times)

mattb

• Former member
can you change engines?
« on: October 23, 2011, 03:46:46 PM »
I leased two aircraft with the wrong engines. Can I change them to match my other aircraft of thesame type?

slither360

• Former member
Re: can you change engines?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 03:52:12 PM »
Sadly not at this time...

It's in feature requests though...

Ryanair 101

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 03:52:31 PM »
I'm sorry but I dont think you can. (Not sure though)

Curse

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 03:54:56 PM »
That's not possible and it's not important (except you like a good looking statistics window). Engine costs are very low compared to what those aircraft can earn you.

mattb

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 04:07:07 PM »
Thanks guys. It deffo needs to be added as they change engines in The real world.

Curse it costs 100,000 to maintain 4 of these engines.  The other 12! Engines cost 130,000!

Massive difference.

Sigma

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 04:16:23 PM »
Thanks guys. It deffo needs to be added as they change engines in The real world.

Curse it costs 100,000 to maintain 4 of these engines.  The other 12! Engines cost 130,000!

Massive difference.

Changing engines in the real world is a fairly rare thing.  And if you're pulling those figures of the costs off the Engine Commonality screen, they're wrong.  It says the cost is "per engine, per month" but that is wrong.  That is per month total of all those engines, yielding a much lower maintenance costs than it appears.  Engine maintenance is EXTREMELY cheap in AWS and engine commonality has almost no effect at all as there's not a lot of economies of scale and there's no (or very little) commonality penalty applied to other engines when a new one is added like there is for aircraft models.

Perhaps when one is small the relatively small dollar savings one would see from consolidating engines is an appreciable amount of money.  But if one were that small than the money to re-engine ones planes would be far better spent on other things that would yield far more profitability than changing engines.

Its one of those many things that would be kinda neat.  Perhaps even a little useful in some rare occasions.  But the time it would take to program it in would be FAR better spent on more useful things.  It is an open Feature Request and may make it in at some point but it's nowhere near the top of sami's list as he has said the practical usability of the feature is fairly small.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 04:19:20 PM by Sigma »

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 08:15:29 PM »
Actually engine changes is not an open request, was asked but it will not be made, since that is practically never made in real life. I mean you do not buy a second hand 767 with RR engines and refit it with PW engines.

The DC-8 engine renewals etc. (ie. Upgrade to new model after the plane has been in service for decades) is known by me but it is so rare after all that it is not worth it.

Offline Tujue

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 08:29:03 PM »
I mean you do not buy a second hand 767 with RR engines and refit it with PW engines.
Exceptions exists:
TC-JDO, PW prototype refitted with RR engines

but yes, this isn't common is real world
THY Tujue Hava Yollari - Tujue Airways

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 08:41:01 PM »
It is not a simple engine swap because with some exceptions (787) the engine nacelle for each manufacturer needs a completely different pylon and wing mounting... hence why each engine on each aircraft has a different certification... because of the different structure.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.