Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] Deadhead Flights  (Read 1639 times)

Meraki

• Former member
[-] Deadhead Flights
« on: January 11, 2009, 01:58:20 AM »
It would be nice to be able to have an aircraft fly a one-time deadhead to an airport to begin a route.

For example, I currently have:
Code: [Select]
YVR - SFO 1715-1950
SFO - YVR 0005-0240

I would like to make a mirror image of the route such as:
SFO - YVR 1715-1950
YVR - SFO 0005-0240

But can't, because for the purpose of route scheduling I have to start all routes at YVR, so my only option is something like:
YVR - SFO 0715-0950
SFO - YVR 1715-1950

Now if the aircraft could do a one-time flight to SFO, it would be able to perform route 2 as posted above without any issues.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 03:22:20 PM by sami »

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Deadhead Flights
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 09:47:47 AM »
...not quite sure if I understood?

thedr2

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 11:18:21 AM »
But then wouldn't it break the "all flights must start and end at your home airport" rule? As your aircraft would go YVR-SFO-YVR-SFO-YVR-SFO. Thats why there really needs to be 2 legs to it.... if In understood your post right?

Offline Unbornio

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 01:19:14 PM »
...not quite sure if I understood?

He means like one-way routes instead of round trips  ;D
Beta Tester

thedr2

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 01:25:26 PM »
Yeah that's what I thought.

If you had a "deadhead" flight it wouldn't end at your home base. Unless you had two in which case it would be pointless. The aircraft needs to return home for maintenance and to make sure it's in the right place for the next days flight.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 03:22:11 PM »
yes, if that was the point, then previous reply was correct. You cannot fly the plane to outstation and then magically start a flight again from the home base..

Ffylip

• Former member
Re: [-] Deadhead Flights
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 04:16:06 PM »
Don't know whether this would fit the original poster's intentions, but have occasionally wondered about the possiblity of running an 'empty flight'.

For example, say my home base is A, and I fly to airport B.  What I really want is a schedule like this:

B -> A  0700-1200
A -> B  1300-1800
B -> A  1900-0000

The only way to do this is to add an additional overnight flight, so you get

A -> B  0100-0600
B -> A  0700-1200
A -> B  1300-1800
B -> A  1900-0000

Now that additional flight is almost certainly going to make a huge loss, as no-one will want to fly at that time of day.  So to minimize the losses I could designate it an 'empty flight', which would mean that I would only need to pay for pilots, no cabin crew, no onboard catering etc. so minimizing costs, and cutting my losses.

As I say I have occasionally wondered if this might be useful, but the number of occasions on which I would use it is so few that I would hardly describe it as a priority, if indeed it is even possible.

Phil

CLR2LND7L

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 04:11:33 AM »
Along these lines,   would it be possible to see the restriction of all flights must start in the hub city change to a restriction where each aircraft must transit the hub once per day?  IE hub at JFK, but aircraft routing  LAX-ORD-JFK-DFW-LAX.   Where as the aircraft originates and terminates in a given city, but still passes thru its given hub city?

Lamantijn84

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 07:34:07 PM »
Can't you just make the turnaround time longer? So the aircraft has a 'nightstop' at Destination B

Kastor

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 11:06:01 PM »
Yeah, I strongly support the idea, we need to have the base airport rule changed as it might have some nice use like in the following xample:

N001AB  Airport A - Airport B  0700-0900
N002AB  Airport C - Airport B  0600-0830
N001AB  Airport B - Airport C  1000-whatever
N002AB  Airport B - Airport A  0930-1030
N002AB  Airport A - Airport D  1130-whatever

Route A->D can be done 1 1/2 hour (depending on T/A time of a given A/C) sooner as N002AB is already waiting for departure.
This happens in real life in my home airport on daily basis.
It is some ilusion because N002AB has a T/A time of one hour anyway, but it might be handy for sheduling reasons if you want a particular flight on particular time, in example for airport operation hours or have a rotation included within 24 hours for long haul flights. (however this use would change a philosophy of asigning an aircraft to the route - two of them would have to be assigned to one route and that might be hard to code due to database reasons)

One way route might also greatly serve for maintainance in airport other than A.

mufc4evr

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 05:05:10 PM »
Can't you just make the turnaround time longer? So the aircraft has a 'nightstop' at Destination B

I agree with a nightstop but you should be able to perform A-Checks in the night stop.

Also couldnt we change it so it has to end the day at the hub. For instance SAMA airlines in RL has to start its day at medina and end them at medina. But during the day it operates flights from riyadh and jeddah that dont include medina in the route.

What do you think

zoohead

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 04:20:09 AM »
I love the idea that only one hub is allowed (maybe changed later upto 3, and that is cool too)...but certainly the idea of been able to do maintenance 'A' checks on overnight stops is essential. That is real world stuff.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.