New feature: Used aircraft market updates

Started by Sami, September 28, 2011, 09:29:13 PM

Sami

A larger new update package has been just installed to AirwaySim v.1.3. Since this change affects the regular usage of all users we're posting a separate announcement of this.

The used aircraft market concept has changed, and it's now based on 'phone calls' to the market dealers. Each airline is given 7 phone calls per week to the market and they can use them at any time at player's discretion.

A call to the market means a loading of the list of available aircraft for sale at the used market. When player calls to the market he is given a fresh list of aircraft that are for sale or lease, and the player can then use his time to browse and search the listings to find the desired aircraft to buy or lease. This change eliminates the need to sit and watch for the market since effectively constant reloading is impossible since each user is given 7 'reloads' per game week.

Please make sure you clear the cache of your browser or force the page to reload since most of the script and styling files and changed and the functions will not work if your browser caches the old files.

For more details about the features please see the forum's changelog thread. Manual will be also soon updated to reflect the changes.

https://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,26356.msg176340.html#msg176340

JumboShrimp

Looks pretty good so far with one huge exception: I hate the fact that the "Market Price" disappeared.  There is just no indication if the aircraft is being bought or leased at discount or premium over the normal market rate for the aircraft.

So I have to buy the aircraft, get it delivered to find out if I overpaid, and how much I overpaid.  I have been playing for some time, and I can make some fairly reasonable estimates.  New players however are going to be completely lost, never having a clue what hit them, why they went under if they were leasing aircraft at totally inflated price.

Also, if you recall, we have no idea about the value of the aircraft we are leasing, if you are leasing at a fair price or at a huge premium, or a discount.  Only successful players who own their aircraft will know this information, from prior experience, and from other aircraft they already owned.

Again, I have no idea what is gained from hiding this information from used market and from the aircraft currently on lease.

Sanabas

Quote from: samiIn future a/c "value" will have two meanings; the bookkeeping value at the airline's accounting dept (=linear yearly deductions based on how much it originally costed), and the market value when sold (= dynamic, based on how much users are willing to pay for it). Currently used "value" is only an arbitrary calculated figure resembling the a/c initial price vs. age, and is not realistic so it will change over time.

(To help players spot a good/bad deal on the market a certain advisor style feature is also thought.)

I agree with the others who have mentioned it, the bookkeeping value should be shown on the plane's info page, along with the selling price. That provides roughly the same info as the yet to be implemented advisor feature, and I'd say it's pretty important to have that available.

2 other things: first is a minor pedant, the picture you put in the 1.3 thread shows 'costs on delivery' = 6,708,254. That amount isn't paid on delivery, it's paid on ordering. So it should say 'costs on placing order', or something similar. Otherwise it implies I can order the plane now, but only pay the 6.7 million for the c-check when it is delivered.

And a question, how will the 7 call limit work on week 1/day 1 of the game? The used market will still refresh 10+ times on day 1, because of the huge demand, yes? Do we get 7 calls per ~4 hours realtime, as we will the rest of the game? Or do we only get 7 calls for all of the 24 hour day 1, and the remainder of week 1, which will likely mean some players will simply miss out on getting their preferred plane type for at least the first game week.

FlyTO

When the aircraft has C check in around 1 month, the font is yellow and hard to read.

Also, I ordered a A333 and configured it, BEFORE it would take 3 weeks to deliver, but now its 2 weeks even for very large airplane.

Edit. Also, Is there a new limit on used AC leased? I have leased 3 used planes so far, but now it already says personnel too busy arranging blah blah blah.

Sanabas

Quote from: kevin.yeung on September 28, 2011, 11:15:46 PM
Edit. Also, Is there a new limit on used AC leased? I have leased 3 used planes so far, but now it already says personnel too busy arranging blah blah blah.

The announcement says that the first two planes now arrive instantly on startup, and that the new limit is now 2 planes per day/3 planes per week.

flightsimer

HORRIBLE UPDATE!

If its not broke dont fix it... especially mid game when there are mega airlines that can now dominate the game even further while the smaller airlines dont have a chance to catch up or expand quickly to fend off a larger airline.

The search is absolutely horrible now and almost pointless... The previous one was much better.

Pukeko

Having come into the game late, I actually find it much easier to get the planes I want. Maybe i was just lucky, but i just went to the used market first time and there they were - probably as the market hadn't been constantly visited by the same few all day who plundered everything useful they could find.

A great addition and will definately even things up when the new game worlds start.

Sami

Quote from: flightsimer on September 29, 2011, 02:14:03 AM
the smaller airlines dont have a chance to catch up or expand quickly to fend off a larger airline.

You obviously have missed the whole point of the changes. But, everyone is allowed to have an opinion....

Jona L.

Also, I ordered a A333 and configured it, BEFORE it would take 3 weeks to deliver, but now its 2 weeks even for very large airplane.

Keep that, that at least levels out a bit how crappy the rest of the update is....

--> crappy such as this:
Also, Is there a new limit on used AC leased? I have leased 3 used planes so far, but now it already says personnel too busy arranging blah blah blah.

Jona L.

Quote from: sami on September 29, 2011, 08:21:15 AM
You obviously have missed the whole point of the changes. But, everyone is allowed to have an opinion....

Actually he is RIGHT!
Talking about the 3 a/c limit... which limits the growth of smaller airlines with no financial capability to reach a/c on the new market by another 50%.... so this is a double FAIL -shooting off long-term players AND n00bs-

Sami, this feature is the worst you ever put in....

Zabuti

Quote from: Jona L. on September 29, 2011, 10:16:20 AM
Actually he is RIGHT!
Talking about the 3 a/c limit... which limits the growth of smaller airlines with no financial capability to reach a/c on the new market by another 50%.... so this is a double FAIL -shooting off long-term players AND n00bs-

Sami, this feature is the worst you ever put in....

IMHO, this feature prevents players from big airlines to pull all decent a/c out of the market until new palyers can buy them.

Since everyone is allowed only 7 phone calls a week, it will limit accuracy of the information, so smaller player have a bit more time to purchase their a/c.

BTW, the a/c limit has always existed...

Take it as a way to give a equal chance to everyone !

As Sami just said : "everyone is allowed to have an opinion".

Cheers

Flobacca

Sami

Jona give it a rest already. You do not have to spam the same thing to every possible thread, and your point is taken. But it won't be changed.

Dasha

The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes, decide everything

Curse

Quote from: Flobacca on September 29, 2011, 10:56:40 AM
BTW, the a/c limit has always existed...

I don't know if there was a change since I left AWS 2 month before, but the used aircraft limit was 2 aircraft per day and 6 aircraft per week - that's also not an estimate, the limit of 6 aircraft per week was heavily used in nearly every gameworld I participated by me and others, but mostly later in the game when selling aircraft to alliance mates (for example: 757 to schro in DotM2).

Just to avoid posts like "the limit was always 4" or something like that.

However, what bothers me most is that the limit is three now. Two would be better than have an uneven number :/ It's like people tuning the volume to 41 or 47 - brrrrrraaahhh.

Peanutoil

Message from Used Aircraft Center

Sichuan CityFlyer has purchased your Boeing 737-900ER aircraft for a sum of 135 161 000 USD. The aircraft has now left your fleet and is now flying with the new owner.

Thank you for using the Used Aircraft Center.

Is he the latest victim of new system?

FlyTO

Quote from: Peanutoil on September 29, 2011, 02:28:53 PM
Message from Used Aircraft Center

Sichuan CityFlyer has purchased your Boeing 737-900ER aircraft for a sum of 135 161 000 USD. The aircraft has now left your fleet and is now flying with the new owner.

Thank you for using the Used Aircraft Center.

Is he the latest victim of new system?

Awesome...now if someone would buy that A320 on the market lol

JumboShrimp

Quote from: kevin.yeung on September 29, 2011, 02:46:58 PM
Awesome...now if someone would buy that A320 on the market lol

Buying may be a little tougher, but if you had a lease option, you could lease it for whatever price you want, since now, the potential customers have no idea what the "fair" price is....

wtdawg

The filter's not working properly.  I put in Boeing 737-6789 and get the entire used market (or what I assume is the entire market) - starting with Airbus.

Also, before the filters went in it remembered your last search and had that already listed as your new 'default.'  That was nice but has now disappeared.

flightsimer

Quote from: sami on September 29, 2011, 08:21:15 AM
what was that? to take a good user interface and make it now into a complicated interface that allows airlines to cheat any airline by allowing them to set the price to whatever they want and not have the value of the aircraft shown for an airline to determine if its a good buy/lease? Or the fact that you still cant just filter a Manufacturer but instead now have to filter each individual aircraft famly?

you also took away one of the biggest parts of being in an alliance.

Now granted you did add back most of the filters, which I thank you for, but can u add the Manufacturers filter back as well?

If you want to slow airline growth down, thats fine. However i highly object to how you did it midgame. My airline has 36 aircraft, but still isnt big enough to be really ordering from the manufactures, therefore i must rely on the used maket. You have taken half of my airlines potential away while all the other majors can simply afford to just order them new. The Big airlines in MT5 still have the advantage and its now an even larger one than ever.

I honestly dont see any benefits to this change at this time though.