Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Newbie in need of help  (Read 872 times)

Mattimus101

• Former member
Newbie in need of help
« on: September 13, 2011, 05:14:33 PM »
I have already restarted twice and can not seem to get enough traffic to cover my operating costs.  The first time around I used only one plane and waited only to go belly up.  The next attempt I ran total of 6 planes and still did not cover my costs.  Currently I am running two small planes and still failing.  All the games I played for a few in game months with marketing so my routes were up to about 50 image upon time of collapse.  Is there any advice on how to make it into the black without going belly up again?
Both current planes are 20 seaters that are flying to cities with at least triple demand as I am flying with no competition to these cities.

I know marketing is high right now but i just changed it higher to see if that would help get more customers.

The other problem i see is the high staff costs, but i dont know how you can really minimize that without negative consequences, like delays or strikes.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 07:12:08 PM by Mattimus101 »

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Newbie in need of help
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 05:25:50 PM »
You should start by posting a bit more detailed info of the airline like screenshots of the relevant pages, like incomesheet and route list.

castelino009

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 11:09:37 PM »
firstly be wise when choosing a base.

Don't go by ur heart, go where the money is. Try not to pick a big city as a base but a good base with 1or 2 airlines.
Start with planes like B737, A320 or even smaller props are fine (dash 8, ATR, Saab etc preferably above 50+ seater)
Keep leasing planes at regular interval, please note the fixed costs (1 or 3 pretty much same or similar).
When leasing a plane,see C check is at least 7-8 month s away and D check years 5+ yrs away.
Keep reserve cash for maint and keep the main regular.
Don't discount your ticket prices a lot, max 5-10% of standard price
Pick a route with high traffic and less competition and utilize it to the max and then move on to next one.

Just a few tips, hope this helps mate,

good luck

VJC

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 06:48:07 AM »
The way to minimise average staff (and other) costs is by having more planes. You have 2 twenty seat planes, $100k revenue, $250k expenses. If you have 20 twenty seat planes, your revenue should be $1 million, but your expenses will not go up to 10x their current amount. You need to get more planes with your initial money.

That said, 20 seater planes aren't very profitable anyway. If you're flying them on routes with 60+ pax demand, you should start off with 50-60 seat planes, like ATRs, F27s, dash-8s, etc. Even then, you'll struggle unless you get up to 10+ planes quickly.

Drax Air

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 02:11:45 PM »
Well, this is some of the mistakes I made last time I tried this fascinating sim.

Small Aircaft, seems attractive, because they so much lower price to lease/ buy than 100 seaters, but They have a very limited range for a start, which seriously limits available Airports.
Lease two Mid to large size Aircraft only,  DC9s or Bae-300 or an ATR. They give you a usable range of about 800miles plus.  The first thing I did after making some profit, was to pay of the original loan, and then tweak seating, marketing, and pricing, and leave everything to settle in, just make sure you have enough staff in personal tag, and at least 180kUSD reserve in your bank, for the (A) and (B) checks!

leasing 6 planes at this stage is a common mistake, your airline needs a good couple 3 weeks (game time) to get going, but in that time, overheads would prob not cover income, and if you start taking loans out to cover the shortfall, its a quick slide into the red. Concentrate on caring for a few Aircraft and routes, keeping cancels down to a bare minimum, and making sure turnarounds are not at a silly rate, like 30 mins, will lead to cancelled flights!

happy flying 8)

mike

Ryanair 101

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 09:30:20 AM »
Hello fellow NewB I would give you loads of advice but I have a guide up in ''General Forum'' called''Ryanair 101's guide for newcomers hope the guide helps! ;)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.