Flight simulator software for PC

Started by JumboShrimp, August 26, 2011, 11:02:04 PM

JumboShrimp

I know Microsoft used to have the best flight simulator in the past.  Are they still the best, or are there any better alternatives?

RushmoreAir

I have FSX with the full getup (yoke, throttle controls, rudder pedals, etc.) but I don't have a gaming computer.

I am OK with it.  It gets 3.75 stars in my book.  It definitely has potential.  But it needs a REALLY good graphics card to perform.  I have a mid-grade Gateway on Vista (3 yrs old) and even on mid-grade graphics, it is a really slow performer and frequently crashes.

Dave4468

Quote from: RushmoreAir on August 26, 2011, 11:31:35 PM
I have FSX with the full getup (yoke, throttle controls, rudder pedals, etc.) but I don't have a gaming computer.

I am OK with it.  It gets 3.75 stars in my book.  It definitely has potential.  But it needs a REALLY good graphics card to perform.  I have a mid-grade Gateway on Vista (3 yrs old) and even on mid-grade graphics, it is a really slow performer and frequently crashes.

Its true. I use FSX but it does struggle, and my PC isn't weak. There is this new Microsoft Flight coming along but I have heard somewhere it is going to be aimed more at gamers and away from simulation.

Pilot Oatmeal

http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/

This is the new flight sim coming out, I'm not sure whether or not its for gamers or sim fans however looking at one of the videos I'm going with sim fans. :) thank god

Ilyushin

People might suggest X-Plane as alternative but it is nowhere as good as FS2004/FSX...

For the best experience play FS2004. It is not a lot different from FSX and it runs much more smoothly. However the default aircraft are crap and you should certainly download some great add-ons.

alexgv1

A few years ago FS9 was the best option because of the many add-ons on offer.

Now FSX has not only caught up but overtaken FS9 on the add-on front, with much more functionality. An example is the recent release of the PMDG 737NGX, the most realistic simulation of an aircraft for desktop users to date. Only down side is that you need a high performance system for FSX, but you also need to optimise your settings, etc for it to work better.

Another alternative is X-Plane. I've never played it but I've heard that the physics are really accurately modelled so might be worth a try, depending if you're looking for realism or not.

Flight I think will be a more plug and fly, arcade like experience. So once again, depends what you're looking for. Also remember that it will take many years for the add-ons to be developed for Flight once it's released.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Zabuti

Hello

As from a pîlot standpoint, FSX is amazing for props planes. I don't know if it's because of motion or the way they modelled it, but its really well designed for Props.

But when it comes to reaction planes (like A321, B737 or B747), it's a shame... you catch a glimpse of it, but not more

However, it's not meant to be a A330 training sim though

FSX is cool, honestly. And I feel it a bit more intuitive than Xplane

ICEcoldair881

X-Plane I feel is a bit too simulation for me, I like the way that FSX and FS9 are modelled, because with all the add-ons and whatnot, you could even have a really good interpretation of reality..which, of course, is WAY cool. :laugh:

Cheers,
ICEcold

swiftus27

There are many people on IVAO and Vatsim who use add ons to realistically have fully controlled flights.   

I can't believe how many times FSX crashes on IVAO while on final approach.  If it were a real life controller and he got that many 'loss of signal' warnings on his screen, he'd be hitting the bottle really really hard.

MRFREAK

It could be awesome if there was a air simulation game. Where it's MMO (Massive Multiplayer Online) on some big servers, just like games such as World of Warcraft.

First of you start at flying school, then you get a job as an Air Taxi Pilot, where you fly short destinations and earn some cash, after you gotten certain number of flight times, you unlock the possibility of flying business jets that lets you earn the big money so you can start taking commercial airline certificate. So you can fly for commercial airlines in small aircrafts such as Bombardier Q400 and ATR's and other kinds of small commercial aircrafts.
After that you start flying for experience and flight time, untill you get enough to start flying CRJ's and ERJ's, after that 737's A319's 320's 321's domestic and then 757's, 767's, A318/19/20/21's etc. international flights and in the very end fly intercontinental flights in 747's A330's and all that.

Now that would be awesome! I think i will sell that idea to Microsoft or something  :laugh:

Pilot Oatmeal

Quote from: MRFREAK on August 29, 2011, 11:38:43 PM
It could be awesome if there was a air simulation game. Where it's MMO (Massive Multiplayer Online) on some big servers, just like games such as World of Warcraft.

First of you start at flying school, then you get a job as an Air Taxi Pilot, where you fly short destinations and earn some cash, after you gotten certain number of flight times, you unlock the possibility of flying business jets that lets you earn the big money so you can start taking commercial airline certificate. So you can fly for commercial airlines in small aircrafts such as Bombardier Q400 and ATR's and other kinds of small commercial aircrafts.

Now that would be awesome! I think i will sell that idea to Microsoft or something  :laugh:

You can't earn money as a pilot unless you have a CPL (Commercial Pilots Licence) so you would need to get that at a recognized flight school.  To fly business jets you would need a type rating on the aircraft your flying so again you'd need to go to flight school.  Flying business jets would generally pay more than flying the Q400 so I don't know why you would switch... just helping you out there haha, but it would be a good idea :)

PiaDijkstra

Quote from: Pilot Oatmeal on August 30, 2011, 07:21:52 AM
You can't earn money as a pilot unless you have a CPL (Commercial Pilots Licence) so you would need to get that at a recognized flight school.  To fly business jets you would need a type rating on the aircraft your flying so again you'd need to go to flight school.  Flying business jets would generally pay more than flying the Q400 so I don't know why you would switch... just helping you out there haha, but it would be a good idea :)

Absolutely, make it like this sim, pay a weekly fee, have everything online so you do not need massive performance at home only a proper internet line!

Count me in

MRFREAK

Quote from: Pilot Oatmeal on August 30, 2011, 07:21:52 AM

I haven't really set myself into that stuff  :(. It was just an idea i just came up with.  :laugh:

Another way in the game should be like, you join the airforce and then jump over to commercial airlining like a lot of other pilots in real life :)

MRFREAK

Quote from: PiaDijkstra on August 30, 2011, 08:35:48 AM
Absolutely, make it like this sim, pay a weekly fee, have everything online so you do not need massive performance at home only a proper internet line!

Count me in

It should be like Flight Simulator. And on a big server where you play with many other people, just like World of Warcraft, and then you have to earn experience to get you further.  ;D

alexgv1

Quote from: MRFREAK on August 29, 2011, 11:38:43 PM

Check out VATSIM, it is like what you mentioned but minus the role playing. A large network of pilots and controllers on a server together. Plus it's free.

MRFREAK

Quote from: alexgv1 on September 01, 2011, 05:55:39 PM
Check out VATSIM, it is like what you mentioned but minus the role playing. A large network of pilots and controllers on a server together. Plus it's free.

Cool, i might check it out  ;)

alexgv1

Quote from: MRFREAK on September 03, 2011, 03:41:42 PM
Cool, i might check it out  ;)

http://www.vatsim.net/

Follow this URL and go to your regional division for the country you wish to join. Only piece if software you will need is called SquawkBox - it's free.

[Mods hope this is okay sharing this link, if not do the deed]

MRFREAK, if the link is deleted simply search VATSIM.

Maarten Otto

Quote from: MRFREAK on August 30, 2011, 02:44:01 PM
It should be like Flight Simulator. And on a big server where you play with many other people, just like World of Warcraft, and then you have to earn experience to get you further.  ;D

As your based in Denmark I think the IVAO network has more on offer for you then Vatsim has.
But remember... South of Paris... ATC is crap.  ;)

alexgv1

Anyone flying the PMDG 737NGX then? I bought it, but am yet to set up FSX and fly it as I am doing a fresh install on my new 120GB SSD.

Maarten Otto