Next scenario: Europe - America Challenge

Started by Sami, August 18, 2011, 01:09:38 PM

Sami

Since the 'regular' scenarios of AirwaySim are rather full and still running for a considerable period of time we have decided to start a new mini challenge scenario to fill up the gap.

The Euro-America scenario will begin this Sunday (Aug 21st) at approximately 15.00 UTC, and it will feature a shorter game timespan with a bit faster game days than other scenarios have. And like the name suggests it will be limited to European and North American continents.

Meicci

I'm kind of noob with these limited game worlds. Does this mean that you won't be able to fly anywhere else from Europe/America? For example, Europe to Asia?

minerva

Yes, it means only routes within Europe and within NA and connections between the two.

Meicci

And what about the more important info? Player amount? Does it start in the 21st century or something like 80's or 90's?

swiftus27

PLEASE no 757s!  Let's see how this game is played without them. 

Also, is there any way we can do this so the clock doesnt start running right when I am going to work on a Monday morning?   Why not start on a Friday (clock runs on Sat) so that everyone can be in front of their CPUs early on when it is most important?

Jona L.

Quote from: swiftus27 on August 18, 2011, 01:55:57 PM
PLEASE no 757s!  Let's see how this game is played without them.  

Also, is there any way we can do this so the clock doesnt start running right when I am going to work on a Monday morning?   Why not start on a Friday (clock runs on Sat) so that everyone can be in front of their CPUs early on when it is most important?

a) no 757 would be interesting indeed!!

b) it usually starts Sat or Sun European time (--> Fri/Sat US time ;) )

c) I rather sit infront of my PC than my CPU because my CPU only works, and does not give me the screen and info I want :P (JFYI CPU = Central Processing Unit ;) )

-----------------------

Didn't we have such a scenario in the Alliance Challenge, and didn't it turn out to be a fiasko?! Anyhow... as long as there is no "top-20-airport HQ" -block (as it used to be in Euro Challenges) I am fine :)

Curse

Same problems as in Alliance Challenge.

The airports with huge North America - Europe demand skyrock, while others (like Los Angeles or Seattle) fail extremely.

A North America _or_ Europe Challenge would be more fun and makes more sense.

And why disallow 757? Why not disallow 737 or A320? Or Fokker 27? Or why don't disallow every aircraft and implement cabs...?

swiftus27

Quote from: Curse on August 18, 2011, 09:35:34 PM
And why disallow 757? Why not disallow 737 or A320? Or Fokker 27? Or why don't disallow every aircraft and implement cabs...?

Reasons:

1.  Because this will be a scenario where this plane will unfairly dominate.  There are few other narrow bodies that can do what this plane does and using the 737ers will not be feasible at those ranges due to the decreased revenue from these routes.   
2.  Let's try something new?  Why the same ole stuff? 
3.  Items have been implemented to prevent the F27 slot grabbing.
4.  Cabs are too slow.  Plus they smell.  Also, they use HD seating which greatly decreases pax comfort.

minerva

One way out of the B757 problem is to start the scenario at, say, 1976, and go until, again say, 1990.  B757 would only show up towards the end; older widebodies would still be profitable and therefore would be used on the transatlantic routes; it would be a little different that the usual start dates.

swiftus27

Quote from: minerva on August 18, 2011, 11:12:03 PM
One way out of the B757 problem is to start the scenario at, say, 1976, and go until, again say, 1990.  B757 would only show up towards the end; older widebodies would still be profitable and therefore would be used on the transatlantic routes; it would be a little different that the usual start dates.

Very true as no one exactly said what period this scenario is in...  plus methinks it is also a test for speedy games in the future.

elvis141

There is many airlines flying 757 over the atlantic today. So that is nothing to wine about!

swiftus27

Quote from: elvis141 on August 19, 2011, 12:27:06 PM
There is many airlines flying 757 over the atlantic today. So that is nothing to wine about!

but nowhere near the number that are in this game. 

Pilot Oatmeal

Quote from: swiftus27 on August 19, 2011, 12:33:57 PM
but nowhere near the number that are in this game. 

Doesn't matter this is a simulation game, we should be able to simulate real airlines and their choices.  If we choose to run our airline with 757s that is our choice.  This is a SIMULATION, not a lets make up a fake world game.

swiftus27

First off, it was just an idea.

Secondly, it is just as fake of a world when you lob off the other 5 continents.

Pilot Oatmeal

Quote from: swiftus27 on August 19, 2011, 04:00:51 PM

Secondly, it is just as fake of a world when you lob off the other 5 continents.

No it doesn't, it becomes a simulator of airlines basing themselves within those two continents, and only flying between those two.

swiftus27

Reason 3.  It would be nice to see other tactics implemented and tried out.  At this point, in a modern times scenario, one could simply make this sim all boeing/airbus with the dash8, atr, and saab.  The 752 is very imbalanced due to benefits from frequency.  Why fly one widebody when 3 narrows will do?

Because of how small the world will be and knowing how ineffective widebodies are, the 744, a340, and 777 will be useless if the 757 is in game.  The queues for the 330 and 757 will be full.

You may disagree and that's fine.  It was only a suggestion. 

Curse

A321-100/-200 and 737-900ER > 757-200

And yes, I'm sure big widebodies aren't the most popular aircraft in a Europe and North America only gameworld. But opposite to you I don't think this is a 757 problem - I think it's simply because it's Europe and NA only...

swiftus27

Curse, what are the etops ratings on those two planes?  I just don't know

Curse

I don't care.

I play AirwaySim and don't work for an aircraft manufacturer or an airline in real life who is interested in such things.

If you want to have something exactly like in real life, I suggest joining it. In 99 of 100 cases it's directly out of your door. It also has huge multiplayer parts and if you become your own African dictator, you can eventually forbid 757 in your country.

Sami

I could scramble the fuel figures a bit for various fleets (+/- 20%?). But no unrealism complaints then..