The attack on Norway (22/07/2011)

Started by MRFREAK, July 23, 2011, 09:18:44 PM

MRFREAK

I just want to say that it's horrible what have happened, and that all my thoughts go to Norway and all the victims and the relatives of the attack on Norwegian ministary in Oslo and the island of Utøya.

May you all rest in peace.  :(

swiftus27

I am so shocked one man can be possessed to do so much evil.

I hope the families of the deceased find solace.   They are going through the worst time of their lives.

MRFREAK

I hear you Swiftus.

I am deeply sorry for those who survived the Utøya attack. They will have a scar for life.

ICEcoldair881

"worst violence in Norway's history since WWII."

:'( we should have a moment of silence for all those who lost their lives during ONE man's anger rampage. :(

Cheers,
ICEcold

Ilyushin

I don't understand how you can be so insane to do something like this... I hope the 76 deceased people rest peacefully and that the 96 injured people heal quickly!

MRFREAK

I don't really think he can be classified as a insane person. He's "only" a pshycopath who with weird and agressive believes.

But i find it amazing how the norwegian people can stand so strong after been scarred for life. With all respect, the norwegians are fantastic!

Dave4468

This is a pretty tragic event. As a politically active young person its scared me a bit about the attack on the camp.

What makes this even scarier is that this man (used in loosest possible sense) is, as MRFREAK has said, clearly not mad. This has not been some random spur of the moment attack, the man has set a car bomb off in Oslo as a diversion, disguised himself as police officer and and then used dum dum bullets to maximise death.

But anyway, I hope those who survived can one day move on and RIP those who were not so lucky.

MRFREAK

Yeah. They say that he had planned this for many years.

I just red an news article about a girl who saved a 5 year old boy who's father got killed. She said that he just stood totally frozen of fear. When she took him and ran for it. Then she turned him over to another person, when she stopped up to help an injured friend. She made it, and when all the survivors got rallyed up at a hotel, she saw the boy with a woman kissing him on his forehead.

She also said; "it was the worst and best day of my life."

That is true heroism.

swiftus27

Im sorry but I have to ask.  What weapon did he use?  160+ killed and wounded is unimaginary.

cht7520

I'm guessing it's the weapon he took a picture with in a diving suit.

Dave4468

He used an automatic weapon I believe. The weapon in the picture looks more like a rifle, which he had registered to his name, along with a pistol and shotgun.

I don't think that the weapon is the reason he killed so many, it is the ammo he was using. Rather than using normal bullet (solid) he appears to have been using dum dum rounds, which are hollow, which are actually banned under the Hague Convention for use in war but can be used elsewhere. They simply explode on impact, so unlike a normal bullet which generally enters the body and goes straight through and out and can miss organs a dum dum will enter the body and shatter, maximising the chance of death if it doesn't hit an organ.   

MRFREAK

He used a shotgun a pistol and the weapon on the picture of him in divingsuit might be a M-14 Rifle.

Picture of a M14 Rifle
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/M14-large.jpg

swiftus27

Quote from: Dave4468 on July 26, 2011, 04:26:15 PM
He used an automatic weapon I believe. The weapon in the picture looks more like a rifle, which he had registered to his name, along with a pistol and shotgun.

I don't think that the weapon is the reason he killed so many, it is the ammo he was using. Rather than using normal bullet (solid) he appears to have been using dum dum rounds, which are hollow, which are actually banned under the Hague Convention for use in war but can be used elsewhere. They simply explode on impact, so unlike a normal bullet which generally enters the body and goes straight through and out and can miss organs a dum dum will enter the body and shatter, maximising the chance of death if it doesn't hit an organ.   

Hollowpoints.  Got it.  Yes, they expand on impact.  they leave a small hole in the front and a massive one where it exits (if it exits).  Yikes.  Terrible stuff.

MRFREAK

Quote from: swiftus27 on July 26, 2011, 11:13:38 PM
Hollowpoints.  Got it.  Yes, they expand on impact.  they leave a small hole in the front and a massive one where it exits (if it exits).  Yikes.  Terrible stuff.

It's terrible that those Hollow Points are so easy to get, just go to the nearest hunting shop and buy some.... Since they are legal to use while hunting deers, so that they don't only get wounded and run away.

Dave4468

Quote from: MRFREAK on July 27, 2011, 07:31:00 AM
It's terrible that those Hollow Points are so easy to get, just go to the nearest hunting shop and buy some.... Since they are legal to use while hunting deers, so that they don't only get wounded and run away.

Thats the point, in hunting they are designed to make sure that the deer dies with one shot, sadly the same applied to the people on Utoya.

swiftus27

Quote from: MRFREAK on July 27, 2011, 07:31:00 AM

it is actually illegal to hunt deer in my home state using a breech loaded rifle.  You have to use a shotgun, bow, or muzzle loader. 

Dave4468

Quote from: swiftus27 on July 27, 2011, 10:07:16 AM
it is actually illegal to hunt deer in my home state using a breech loaded rifle.  You have to use a shotgun, bow, or muzzle loader. 

I guess it is down to each country and their laws, I believe that in the UK breech loaded rifles are fine, as are shotguns, whereas most other things are illegal. I believe it is reported that Brevik had legally registered a shotgun, rifle and pistol to his name.

swiftus27

I just saw that picture of him in the swimsuit? and the heavily modified assault rifle.   What a crazy nut. 

MRFREAK

Quote from: swiftus27 on July 28, 2011, 01:56:09 AM
I just saw that picture of him in the swimsuit? and the heavily modified assault rifle.   What a crazy nut. 

I know it's sad and terrible, but i can't stop laughing at that picture, cause why a swimsuit??? And when he ordered that rifle what did he say?

Breivik: "Hello i need a M14 rifle for my deer hunting."
Salesman: "Sure, would you care for some ammo for it?"
Breivik: "Oh yes please let me.. Eeeeh... Can i have a s***load of hollowpoints, and is it possible to buy a big ass scope for it aswell, and is it also possible to fit a flashlight, a lasersight, a bajonet and a bargrip on it aswell? if so i would also like all those things, cause im kind the guy who likes knick-knacks."

I mean, who the hell buys a lasersight, a bajonet and a flashlight for a hunting rifle??? Swiftus are truly right, he is a one hell of a crazy nut.   >:(