Summer Transfer Window

Started by cht7520, July 14, 2011, 03:43:03 AM

cht7520

What do you footy fans think of the transfers so far? :)

cht7520

Some notable transfers so far.

All fees in pounds unless otherwise stated.

Liverpool - Jordan Henderson (18 million), Charlie Adam (7.5 million), Stewart Downing (20 million)
Manchester United - Phil Jones (16.5 million), Ashley Young (16 million), David De Gea (18-20 million)
Real Madrid - Fabio Coentrao (27 million), Nuri Sahin (8 million), Hamit Altintop (free)
Arsenal - Carl Jenkins (1 million), Gervinho (12 million)
Sunderland - About 10 new signings, can't be asked to list them all
AC Milan - Philippe Mexes (free)
Juventus - Andrea Pirlo (free)
Stoke - Jonathan Woodgate (free)
Wolves - Roger Johnson (7 million)
Fulham - John Arne Riise (2.4 million)

GEnx

Isn't Sneijder going to Man United?

cht7520

Quote from: Quinoky on July 14, 2011, 09:28:07 AM

Rumours that David Gill is in Zurich trying to tie up a 35 million deal, while offering wages of 190,000 a week to Sneijder.

ArcherII

Liverpool loves to splash cash  :o
Is Downing THAT good (or even better than A. Young) to be priced 20mil quid??

d2031k

Quote from: Quinoky on July 14, 2011, 09:28:07 AM

Rumours today that Nani will be going the other way.

cht7520

Quote from: ArcherII on July 14, 2011, 12:13:13 PM
Liverpool loves to splash cash  :o
Is Downing THAT good (or even better than A. Young) to be priced 20mil quid??

Yes he may be a bit expensive...but...

From Opta Stats:

135 - Stewart Downing has completed more crosses in open play than any other player in the Premier League over the last three seasons. Whip.

34.4 - Stewart Downing has averaged 34.4 appearances over the past five Premier League seasons. Reliable.

Considering we've got big Andy Carroll in the middle, crosses are important.

As with Jordan Henderson...

110 - Jordan Henderson, Luka Modric & Samir Nasri have all created 110 PL goalscoring chances since Aug 2009. Transferable.

Yes they are stats, you can bend them whichever way you want them to, but the point is there is at least a basis on them signings. King Kenny has got people who can finish chances (Luis Suarez, Andy Carroll, Dirk Kuyt) but he now has bought people who will create them. Plus there is that problem of squad depth.

Plus, it's really not splashing cash, Chelsea pretty much paid for most of Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez. Torres + Babel = 58 million -> Suarez + Carroll = 58 million. So the money spent this summer is not really that much (look at Man Utd).

Quote from: Daveos on July 14, 2011, 12:17:25 PM
Rumours today that Nani will be going the other way.

Nani was at Harvard University the other day.

slither360

Quote from: LuisSuarez7 on July 14, 2011, 01:22:39 PM

Nani was at Harvard University the other day.

yeah, I saw him. didn't run fast enough to get an autograph though  :'(

cht7520

Looks like the Sneijder deal is on hold. Fergie said he's too expensive and wages are a big stumbling block.

d2031k

Downing confirmed now to Liverpool.

Jermaine Pennant had the best crossing stats when he moved across from Birmingham, so we'll see if Downing can play for a big club better than Pennant did.  He's always been pretty useless for England, but maybe at Liverpool he'll be a solution to that tricky left side we always have.

I've bought myself a Macclesfield Town season ticket this year :)  I'm a United fan, but cannot afford a season ticket even in tier 3 of the north stand or one of the quadrants!

cht7520

Quote from: Daveos on July 15, 2011, 10:07:10 PM
Downing confirmed now to Liverpool.

Jermaine Pennant had the best crossing stats when he moved across from Birmingham, so we'll see if Downing can play for a big club better than Pennant did.  He's always been pretty useless for England, but maybe at Liverpool he'll be a solution to that tricky left side we always have.

Here's another stat: since 2004 only 4 other Barclays Premier League players have created more chances than Stewart Downing. Cesc Fabregas. Frank Lampard. Steven Gerrard. Ryan Giggs. That's why I'm not worried about Downing doing a 'Pennant'.

Had we signed a foreigner (ie. Juan Manuel Mata), who knows if he will adapt to the Barclays Premier League? What do you think the opposition coach's instructions on him will be? 'Kick him' or 'slam him' or 'let him 'ave it'. Downing is used to all that and doesn't suffer from those 'kicks' (proven by the fact that he's averaged 34.4 apps over the last five seasons).

If his name was anything other than Stewart DOWNING (ie. Stanley Devastating or simply, Downinho) and was Brazilian while carrying those stats, most people would be head over heels for him and would probably command a 40 million fee. ;D

Quote from: Daveos on July 15, 2011, 10:07:10 PM
I've bought myself a Macclesfield Town season ticket this year :)  I'm a United fan, but cannot afford a season ticket even in tier 3 of the north stand or one of the quadrants!

Nice one. :) I've never managed to get myself a Liverpool season ticket. :'(

cht7520

Chelsea to sign Genk (Belgium champions) goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois.

cht7520

Aston Villa sign Shay Given for an undisclosed fee, believed to be around 3.5 million, on a 5 year contract.

alexgv1

Quote from: LuisSuarez7 on July 18, 2011, 07:58:43 PM
Aston Villa sign Shay Given for an undisclosed fee, believed to be around 3.5 million, on a 5 year contract.

Good, he was rotting at City.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

cht7520

Quote from: alexgv1 on July 18, 2011, 07:59:43 PM
Good, he was rotting at City.

Yeah, I remember back then when he was at Newcastle. It was pretty much ? team vs Shay Given. He is/was that good.

swiftus27

I am so glad American sports are nowhere near as complicated.

cht7520

You should also be glad that you won't have players whinging because they don't get paid enough to kick a ball for 90 minutes (or less) per week. You could have someone who's on 150,000 per week and complaining (see Wayne Rooney) and get a pay rise to 250,000 per week.

cht7520

You've got to give it to Carlos Tevez. Roberto Mancini's interview yesterday:

Journalist: Have you spoken to Carlos personally?
Mancini: No no no no...I didn't spoke to him
Journalist: Why?
Mancini: Because I only have only one number...it doesn't work at the moment

It's on Sky Sports website. :laugh:

d2031k

Sanchez has joined Barcelona.  A frightening addition to their already formidable European champion ranks.

ArcherII

Quote from: Daveos on July 21, 2011, 09:12:06 PM
Sanchez has joined Barcelona.  A frightening addition to their already formidable European champion ranks.

True. But I'm having a hard time thinking where is he going to play in the pitch. You cannot get Pedro out, let alone Iniesta, or Villa. Messi is out of the question.