FSX Computer advice?

Started by Pilot Oatmeal, June 22, 2011, 09:13:06 AM

Dave4468

Quote from: J. Oates on June 22, 2011, 11:01:28 AM
Lol yea a bit of a weird name  :P

is there another one you would recommend or should i be fine with this?

Anything on that site will handle FSX fine I'd have thought. Do watch out though, some, including that one, are overclocked and aimed at the type of person who sits in a darkened room being an arse on COD so need extra cooling and things and will cost more. It also makes them expensive.

TBH you wouldn't go wrong going to Comet, Currys, PC World or a Maplins if you have one and seeing their high end stuff, they won't be over the top powerful and will sit you in good stead for what you want and might come with their Office bundles or a screen which will be good for your not gaming needs. And they'll come with an OS in the price.

slither360

Quote from: J. Oates on June 22, 2011, 09:13:06 AM

I need to have microsoft office

Why? Don't waste your cash. Use openoffice (http://www.openoffice.org) - it is just as good, free, and it allows you to open and save files in .doc, .xls, etc. as well

Dave4468

Quote from: BobTheCactus on June 22, 2011, 11:08:42 AM
Why? Don't waste your cash. Use openoffice (http://www.openoffice.org) - it is just as good, free, and it allows you to open and save files in .doc, .xls, etc. as well

No no no no no. OpenOffice is the worst pile of useless rubbish I have ever used. I used it to avoid paying for Office and it was terrible. Last time I looked the interface looked dated. It doesn't have a lot of fairly common fonts. It may save in .doc but it isn't worth it, I opened .doc files from Open Office in Office and the formatting was ruined, the table wizard is useless. The version of Excel and Powerpoint are terrible. When I used it wouldn't save or open .docx files. And their version of Access is entirely incompatible with proper Access.

DO NOT USE OPEN OFFICE. Pay for Office and save yourself a pile of hassle.

slither360

Quote from: Dave4468 on June 22, 2011, 11:15:27 AM
No no no no no. OpenOffice is the worst pile of useless rubbish I have ever used. I used it to avoid paying for Office and it was terrible. Last time I looked the interface looked dated. It doesn't have a lot of fairly common fonts. It may save in .doc but it isn't worth it, I opened .doc files from Open Office in Office and the formatting was ruined, the table wizard is useless. The version of Excel and Powerpoint are terrible. When I used it wouldn't save or open .docx files. And their version of Access is entirely incompatible with proper Access.

DO NOT USE OPEN OFFICE. Pay for Office and save yourself a pile of hassle.

It is a bit dated, but nothing you can't fix yourself.
Interface is easy enough, and while it looks dated, it's nothing that makes it worth it to spend cash on office.
Fonts can be downloaded easily, so that isn't really an issue.
Formatting gets ruined, I will admit this.
Their version is Excel is excellent, I use it all the time. I don't have much experience with powerpoint, but it has worked fine for me in the past.
And I don't use Access, so I don't know much about Openoffice' version

Dave4468

Quote from: BobTheCactus on June 22, 2011, 11:21:54 AM
It is a bit dated, but nothing you can't fix yourself.
Interface is easy enough, and while it looks dated, it's nothing that makes it worth it to spend cash on office.
Fonts can be downloaded easily, so that isn't really an issue.
Formatting gets ruined, I will admit this.
Their version is Excel is excellent, I use it all the time. I don't have much experience with powerpoint, but it has worked fine for me in the past.
And I don't use Access, so I don't know much about Openoffice' version

The main issue was formatting. I found that any Word, Excel and PPTs made in Office were torn apart by OpenOffice and visa versa. It isn't worth the effort. If your school, college or uni uses Office OpenOffice will make your life harder.

Sami

Student license for MS Office is very affordable. Or "business home use" package (or whatever it's called), if your workplace uses MS software. 

alexgv1

Surprised nobody even mentioned hard drive for an FSX build PC. With all the virtual memory it goes into a decent hard drive is important. To be honest it will be hard to make any PC run FSX because it's so resource intensive and poorly optimised.

Jordan. I live in Southampton and am willing to make you the PC if you buy the parts (I will help you choose them) if you are willing to drive or fly to pick up the finished article off me. I have made computers before. If you are heading to Asia any time soon I recommend picking up the components there.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Pilot Oatmeal

Well thank you alex :) umm I'm not really planning any trips to asia unfortunately but if you want to use what Ilyushin put down as a sort of base of what I need could you come up with a price on how much it would cost for it all together (excluding monitor have one already)

Heres my E-mail if you want to use that: piperpilot112@yahoo.co.uk

alexgv1

Quote from: J. Oates on June 22, 2011, 01:46:36 PM
Well thank you alex :) umm I'm not really planning any trips to asia unfortunately but if you want to use what Ilyushin put down as a sort of base of what I need could you come up with a price on how much it would cost for it all together (excluding monitor have one already)

Heres my E-mail if you want to use that: piperpilot112@yahoo.co.uk

If you have an IM we can talk through it (like Facebook chat or Skype or MSN). I can come up with a price quote for some specifications now.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Pilot Oatmeal

actually my dad might be heading to asia soon, bangkok in particular would there be things to pick up there as he could pick it up for me

Pilot Oatmeal

anybody else feel free to add me btw :)

Dave4468

Just added you (Dave Poynton)

MRFREAK

Quote from: Quinoky on June 22, 2011, 09:35:23 AM
Don't buy NVidia, they're way too noisy, run way too hot and are way too expensive compared to AMD's offerings. Also, 4GB of RAM should be more than fine.

Just look around on the internet for PC's with an Intel Core i5, 4GB of RAM and a Radeon HD6850 (or at least > HD66XX).

ATI makes some good graphic cards. But Nvidia is great aswell. Alot of games aren't compatible with AMD or Intel graphics, so if you want a gamer computer, then don't buy those two.

Dave4468

I've found nvidea to be the better of the two. In the wars of computing I'm an Intel and nvidea guy.

GEnx

Quote from: MRFREAK on June 23, 2011, 04:33:25 PM
ATI makes some good graphic cards. But Nvidia is great aswell. Alot of games aren't compatible with AMD or Intel graphics, so if you want a gamer computer, then don't buy those two.

Quote from: Dave4468 on June 23, 2011, 05:02:43 PM
I've found nvidea to be the better of the two. In the wars of computing I'm an Intel and nvidea guy.

I couldn't disagree more. The AMD (formerly ATI) graphics cards are continuously praised by many of the most revered technology websites, the best example being the three links I provided previously (here, here and here). NVidia did indeed have an edge over ATI/AMD for a long time in the past, but they have seriously been outcompeted as of late. And I can honestly say that from personal experience, AMD cards are great performers for the best value out there.

Frogiton

A little late but I got a great comp from TigerDirect.com for $500.

3.2ghz quadcore Intel processor
4GB RAM
1GB Nvida Video Card
250GB (Barely use any of it with a seemingly endless amound of add-ons)
700w power supply

Works absolutely great for me. I have a lotttt of add-ons and about 50 World of AI Airlines and I can run smoothly on "high" graphics. It does get a little slow at big airports like Atlanta or Chicago (two big airports and intense scenery) but still not choppy.