Credit rating

Started by sellouts, June 04, 2011, 11:24:32 PM

alexgv1

Quote from: Sigma on June 05, 2011, 10:44:48 PM
Let's calm it down guys; especially with the snide comments about "big boys' worlds" and the like.  We're all here to have fun.

Why in particular mine and Curse's posts which were said in jest? Why single out and victimise us? What about the arrogant attitude displayed by the OP throughout the thread and the open criticism from the start of the game we are here to have fun on. Obviously a case of a big fish in a small pond. Maybe if a mod was here to do their job quicker this wouldn't be a problem thread.

I can see myself getting banned again here over this so I'll try and keep my cool. But seriously, I was done with this topic until that was posted you could have used more tact and not offended anyone now this thread is going to kick off again (let's not bring up mine and some others six page job).
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

sellouts

Quote from: Quinoky on June 05, 2011, 10:14:59 PM
My god, sellouts, take a chill pill. Surely there are some aspects of the game that need to be improved (hence the "feature request" topic) but there's absolutely no need for statements like this, especially taking account that you're new to this game (yes, this is relevant). With your logic, you could remove the entire game from the server since the real world is very hard to simulate.

Throughout this entire thread you continuously rant (quite arrogantly in my view) how much this metric of the game is broken. As you have already pointed out, credit rating is an incredibly hard metric to calculate properly, thus it is bound to have some flaws in any sort of game. Therefore I'd really want to urge you to stop ranting already and start making valid suggestions as to how the rating should be calculated differently. After all, criticism is easy and art is difficult. Honestly, though, throughout the game's history there has never been a single complaint about it so in my view, it is quite properly calculated (i.e. players have not experienced negative effects on their airlines due to the way credit rating is calculated).

Really, breathe some positive air in your lungs. ;)

Why is the idea of removing a non-critical aspect of the game so insulting?  I'm not saying he should remove credit, loans or whatever math is used by the game to determine credit limits and interest rates, I'm saying get rid of an obviously arbitrary rating that makes the game look worse by it being there and being poorly done.  I have no problem with the amount of credit available to an airline at any time, no problem with interest rates, etc.  

If you want me to suggest improvements, I'll state it again clearly.  Credit rating should more accurately reflect growth rate, consecutive quarters of profitability/growth, the increase in assets for the company, leverage ratio, cash on hand, etc.  The credit rating should be calculated quarterly and adjust as need be given the previous quarters data.  Example: If you're AAA rated but take on more liability in the following quarter by committing to leases, a decrease in load factor, etc, it should fall.  The game should, without a doubt, at 80% way through the time period have an airline that is eligible to be AAA rated.  Topping out at A with an airline worth over 12 billion and a max credit line of 500-700m as is the case with the biggest airline in BW right now, is insane.  It's the easiest level, it should also be the easiest to get an AAA rating.  AAA should not be unobtainable in any world and  if it is obtainable, I'd love to discuss how that was obtained.

Another suggestion is to not display the credit ratings of other airlines.  You can't do anything with the information anyways.  It's not like you can reject a questionable airline's request to lease your aircraft or loan a struggling airline money.  

I'm not addressing balance issues such as, in my opinion, the complete lack of balance in regards to a consumer's price sensitivity.  Credit rating is a non-critical aspect of the game.  Just pull it out and move along with improving it.  

The lack of previous complaints about this is, again, irrelevant.  

And hey, Alexgv1, you're glad he said what he said because you're flat incapable of saying it in a similar way.  Let's call a spade a spade.  You tried to refute my argument and when you couldn't you resorted to red herring arguments and backhanded comments about me and my airline.  It's easy to agree, it's harder to form a coherent argument and/or refute one presented to you.  

Quote from: Sigma on June 05, 2011, 10:44:48 PM
Let's calm it down guys; especially with the snide comments about "big boys' worlds" and the like.  We're all here to have fun.

Thanks.  I don't think anyone in this thread created the credit rating so I'm not sure why so many are taking my notion that it's broken and should be removed so personally.  It's ok to not have answers!  

Quote from: alexgv1 on June 05, 2011, 10:49:22 PM
Why in particular mine and Curse's posts which were said in jest? Why single out and victimise us? What about the arrogant attitude displayed by the OP throughout the thread and the open criticism from the start of the game we are here to have fun on. Obviously a case of a big fish in a small pond. Maybe if a mod was here to do their job quicker this wouldn't be a problem thread.

Do you know what victimize means?  And blame the mods all you want for not showing up to save you from yourself and your comments, but I've presented a case for my opinion and you've done nothing but write disparaging comments and offer red herring arguments to distract from my point.  I'm sorry if you don't agree that credit rating is important or you're frustrated that you can't offer up a solution to defend this aspect of the game, but it is what it is.

alexgv1

Indeed Quinoky put it so elloquantly, hence why I thanked him. Mine would have involved the work C**t a lot. Let's call a spade a spade. So let's also call a C**t a C**t. To be honest I care not for credit rating I was just amused by the fact that someone thought they had beaten the game within a month just because they made some money on a kindergarten world. I can't wait to see you fail in a real game world. Or if you were that good you would be running your own airline by now.

sellouts

Quote from: alexgv1 on June 05, 2011, 10:57:20 PM
Indeed Quinoky put it so elloquantly, hence why I thanked him. Mine would have involved the work C**t a lot. Let's call a spade a spade. So let's also call a C**t a C**t. To be honest I care not for credit rating I was just amused by the fact that someone thought they had beaten the game within a month just because they made some money on a kindergarten world. I can't wait to see you fail in a real game world. Or if you were that good you would be running your own airline by now.

Did you mean Cant?

As in "I cant argue with your points, while I don't agree that credit rating matters I can't form an argument against your point?"

Or did you actually resort to calling me a name?  Just quoting this so when your mods show up they can see this.  

And yes, the old "a critic can't be a critic because they can't do it themselves" argument.  If you think that running an airline is as simple as being "good", you have a very naive view of the world.  You also have no idea what I do for a living (but you're right, I don't singlehandedly run an airline).

While you might be good at this game, you've shown some bigger inadequacies in this thread.  It almost makes me wonder what it says about a game that let's you be so good at it. 

alexgv1

Wow you must think I'm some illiterate commoner. I don't know what made you to have such a great upbringing and education but as noted earlier you still lack the basic skills of manners and paying attention to what you're reading. I am lucky enough to have saved myself from the fate of being an illiterate commoner by working hard for myself, what's your story?

alexgv1

Quote from: sellouts on June 05, 2011, 11:00:51 PM
Did you mean Cant?

If you mean the philosopher, it's spelt Kant  ;)

If you mean yourself then I'm sure you know how to spell it.

I would spell it out for you but that fate didn't end so well for THI.

Anyway, I'm to bed. I think I've wasted enough time here trying to help people and falling on deaf ears.

sellouts

Quote from: alexgv1 on June 05, 2011, 11:01:35 PM
Wow you must think I'm some illiterate commoner. I don't know what made you to have such a great upbringing and education but as noted earlier you still lack the basic skills of manners and paying attention to what you're reading. I am lucky enough to have saved myself from the fate of being an illiterate commoner by working hard for myself, what's your story?

Basic skills and manners?  Sir/Ma'am, you're the one who resorted to name calling.  I mean, come on, it wasn't even 2 posts ago.  This is laughable.  

Considering we're conversing on an internet forum, illiterate isn't exactly the word I would use.  It's kind of a requirement to be here!

I stand by what I've said and with one typo regarding my company value vs cash on hand, I've paid attention to everything I've read and presented arguments for or against it.  You've called me names, asked unrelated questions, produced red herring arguments and essentially just agreed with other people rather than generate the argument itself.

Oh, and let's not forget the "RTFQ" you dropped earlier, too.  That's not exactly pleasant or called for.  

Quote from: alexgv1 on June 05, 2011, 11:04:04 PM
If you mean the philosopher, it's spelt Kant  ;)

If you mean yourself then I'm sure you know how to spell it.

I would spell it out for you but that fate didn't end so well for THI.

Anyway, I'm to bed. I think I've wasted enough time here trying to help people and falling on deaf ears.

You haven't tried to help anything.  You've tried to drop in on other's arguments and resorted to name calling and other distractions.  You don't have an argument for my issue at all. 

Congrats on dropping the intro to Philosophy knowledge though.  I'm well aware of Kant and while it wouldn't be surprising if you misspelled his name given your other misspellings in your previous posts, I didn't misspell anything.

But way to dance around calling me that name again without actually doing it for fear of what would happen.  You obviously feel the need to say it, so just say it.  Gutless. 

alexgv1

Quote from: sellouts on June 05, 2011, 11:07:25 PM
Basic skills and manners?  Sir/Ma'am, you're the one who resorted to name calling.  I mean, come on, it wasn't even 2 posts ago.  This is laughable.  

Considering we're conversing on an internet forum, illiterate isn't exactly the word I would use.  It's kind of a requirement to be here!

I stand by what I've said and with one typo regarding my company value vs cash on hand, I've paid attention to everything I've read and presented arguments for or against it.  You've called me names, asked unrelated questions, produced red herring arguments and essentially just agreed with other people rather than generate the argument itself.

Oh, and let's not forget the "RTFQ" you dropped earlier, too.  That's not exactly pleasant or called for.  

Yes well that is because of the arrogant tone faced when I try and help newbs like I do on a regular basis. And yes commoners like me clearly resort to name calling and violence when we are outmatched by our intellectual superiors (so be happy that you have the protection of being behind a PC). I care not for the typo I didn't even point it out. Although my name calling was blunt, your attitude has been rude and arrogant throughout the whole thread. There is a thing in my line of work called the Attitude-Behaviour cycle where it means that you get treated like the way you act. So you acted like a pr*ck (should this be censored too) and were received like one. Simples.

slither360

Alex, go to bed.

I don't want an alliance member banned for an idiotic reason like this

alexgv1

Sigma

Alright guys, enough with the poo-slinging from both sides.  I'm gonna have to lock this one up before someone says something that gets them banned or the like, because no one wants that to happen, least of all me.

Sellouts, I recommend you take your suggestions here and put them in the "Feature Requests" area.  Just copy-pasting the relevant parts will do, no need to write up anything new.