AF447 Report Published

Started by Dave4468, May 27, 2011, 12:06:21 PM

Dave4468

The BEA have published the readings off the black boxes AF447. Makes for interesting if not harrowing reading.

http://www.bea.aero/fr/enquetes/vol.af.447/point.enquete.af447.27mai2011.en.pdf

filipebravo

This is scary....  :-\ :'(

Diclaimer: I am not a pilot

MRFREAK

I'm not a pilot, so i don't know what some of the things that's mentioned mean, but what i did undestand gave me a tough feeling. And that it's really scary.  :(

GEnx

I think my command of English is rather good for a non-native, but I seriously found it hard to understand the details. Why were they suddenly dropping 10000ft/min and why could the F/O not respond adequately to this event..?

MRFREAK

Quote from: Quinoky on May 27, 2011, 08:58:49 PM
I think my command of English is rather good for a non-native, but I seriously found it hard to understand the details. Why were they suddenly dropping 10000ft/min and why could the F/O not respond adequately to this event..?

It's not that im bad at english, but the some of the "pilot langguage" was a little hard to understand, and you're right about the report is a little jumpy and lack som details of why it's suddenly drops 10k feet and things like that.

ArcherII

Apparently the airplane stalled and falled while leveled. Pretty much like the Top Gun scene. In the report, it states that the angle of attack was around 35° average during those 2 minutes, but the airplane nose was leveled. This means that the air flow was conming from below and upwards, major stalling situation.
What is very shocking is that it crashed with the nose heading west and at 107kt.

EYguy

Well, what happened in top gun is a flat spin and it usually happens because of a major disruption of the aerodynamic flow around the fuselage... It is a "dynamic" situation, happening while the a/ is flying usually at the limits of its flight envelope or in flight conditions that can be hardly modeled (like in the slipstream of other a/c).

One of thing that most of the pilots I know (including my bro) told me about that route is that meteo conditions there can be very harsh and it is not uncommon to find yourself in heavy turbolence, losing even 200m in a flick of your eyes.

As the report says, the AOA of the a/c was something like 35°, which is an AOA that only some fighter a/c can cope with, so... It was probably as I've heard in the beginning: turbolence, heavy turbolence that struck the a/c. But I think it was the first time that an a/c came across such heavu turbolence.

Edo

juanchopancho

It doesn't get into the why. It only reports what happened in the final minutes.