Country/Continent CI vs Worldwide CI

Started by swiftus27, April 23, 2011, 01:49:45 PM

swiftus27

This could help make the CI system a tad more useful:

Perhaps we have separate ratings for both?  The benefits are easy to list... examples:

1.  Small airlines could find it easier to succeed. 
2.  International airlines would have to invest in international marketing as well. 

So, you can actually level the playing field too.  Those few airlines who get the large plane early on always seems to win.  Perhaps this will help slow that down?  Perhaps those "Southwest"-type airlines will have good success running domestic carriers like that? 

Few are responding to my other ideas so, please tell me what you think?

Sami

I remember this has been talked in past too? Would be useful.

swiftus27

Quote from: sami on April 23, 2011, 01:56:08 PM
I remember this has been talked in past too? Would be useful.

I honestly don't recall seeing it but won't make claims at "first" either....   I think something like this can balance the playing field and again enforce one aspect I like the most ...  And that is that you have to plan strategically ahead of time.  You shouldn't be easily able to dominate LH international and domestic flights without having to pay a ton of marketing money.

Also, and I know this won't happen any time soon... but how about if I am flying JFK to LHR that I have a preference to fly my country's carrier?  I know if I had to choose between BA and Continited, I'd choose the latter.  But I could be persuaded by other factors like price.

slither360

Yep, I saw a thread on this earlier. It's a testament to how great of an idea it is that it keeps coming up.

JumboShrimp

It would seem to make sense for country like US, Japan, China (if you are not flying internationally), what about small countries like Austria, Czech Republic, Holland?  It makes no sense for them.

After thinking about it more, it already works great as is.  Currently, CI is a function of number of airports you are flying to, so it is independent of starting country or continent (where the airlines is headquartered).  So it is neutral.  Works fine in the US, small EU country, Japan, Brazil, Africa - everywhere...

Can you make a compelling argument that the system is not sufficient as is and how the other system would make it better?

alexgv1

Quote from: swiftus27 link=topic=30328.msg155443#msg155443
Also, and I know this won't happen any time soon... but how about if I am flying JFK to LHR that I have a preference to fly my country's carrier?  I know if I had to choose between BA and Continited, I'd choose the latter.  But I could be persuaded by other factors like price.

Isn't there already a "home carrier" bonus factored into the passenger preferences in game? If I'm not mistaken I think there might be, you may be in luck.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

headphase

It would still be very nice to have some kind of national CI in addition to the global CI.  This would help stimulate competition on domestic routes!

Also, how about a graph on the country page (https://www.airwaysim.com/game/Routes/Country/xxx) which displays market share for each of the airlines based in the country?  Seems that the information is already in the system, it just needs to be averaged out between airports and combined into a pie chart!

It would be very cool to know how well I am competing against my main competitor.  Right now there is no direct comparison since he is a large medium-haul carrier with 2 bases and I am a short-haul regional airline with 4 bases.  But if there was a chart which showed our respective market shares in our home country.....