English presentation

Started by Ilyushin, April 13, 2011, 07:56:37 PM

Ilyushin

Hi folks,

In about a month time I have to present to my class at school. It must be in English (I am native Dutch). It can be about anything I want to be (preferably something you like/you are comfortable with). I was planning to do my presentation about the history of commercial aviation. It should remain interesting to the audience so I cannot talk too specific about certain subjects (I'm in high school, no aviation related school. Students are 15-17 years old).

I was wondering if any of you could share some facts about the history of commercial aviation. For example, how the 747 made flying cheaper and more accessible, how speed was important during the 50's and 60's (and how now price is priority), the 'battle' between Europe's Concorde and the US' 747 (speed vs quantity, how the 747 won that). That sort of stuff.

Generally, nobody gives a damn about aviation so I should really try my best to present something interesting to the average joe. ;D That's why I could use your help!

Images and videos are also very welcome seeing as it will be a PowerPoint presentation. Surely I will use this (once again, thanks so much for posting this!).

Feedback is welcome, perhaps suggestions for a different subject is fine as well (as long as it's about aviation), if you think this is a subject that is boring...

Ilyushin

swiftus27

You could talk about rail vs air.

The 380 vs smaller more fuel efficient planes

Talk about airport capacity in thr 21st century.

Heck, talk about runway 36L at schiphol.

talk about how it is all about moving ppl and freight... no more pianos and lounges

Ilyushin

Quote from: swiftus27 on April 13, 2011, 08:03:37 PM
You could talk about rail vs air.

The 380 vs smaller more fuel efficient planes

Talk about airport capacity in thr 21st century.

Heck, talk about runway 36L at schiphol.

talk about how it is all about moving ppl and freight... no more pianos and lounges

I doubt people would care about airport capacity and the Polderbaan, but I'll consider the other ones yes, those are good ones, thanks a lot! :)

Pax = self loading cargo. ;D That would make a fun conclusion...

Pilot Oatmeal

lol whats so interesting about runway 36L at schipol??? just curious

Ilyushin

Quote from: J. Oates on April 13, 2011, 08:12:39 PM
lol whats so interesting about runway 36L at schipol??? just curious

Other than that it has a freaking taxi time of 3 months, nothing I guess.

Pilot Oatmeal

Ilyushin I see your point... Many people are not so interested in Aviation, its an either LOVE or Don't Care thing unfortunately.  I would focus on funny sides of it... like cheap airlines and additional charges ( you could make a few jokes about that) Or if your wanting to keep it serious you probably going to have to focus on holidays to sunny places, I don't think  you could make an interesting presentation to students that aren't interested in aviation, I've tried many times haha :)  good luck mate !

Ilyushin

Quote from: J. Oates on April 13, 2011, 08:16:49 PM
Ilyushin I see your point... Many people are not so interested in Aviation, its an either LOVE or Don't Care thing unfortunately.  I would focus on funny sides of it... like cheap airlines and additional charges ( you could make a few jokes about that) Or if your wanting to keep it serious you probably going to have to focus on holidays to sunny places, I don't think  you could make an interesting presentation to students that aren't interested in aviation, I've tried many times haha :)  good luck mate !

Thanks for the help and support ;D

I tried it before, it was about the safety of aviation, how we learned from crashes etc ::)

Nobody gives a crap. :P

GEnx

Have you ever watched Richard Hammond's Engineering Connections? Maybe such a concept makes stuff a little more interesting to the "general public". You could even use short clips from the episode where he explains the Airbus A380 in your presentation. Everyone likes a piano being smashed. ;)

Bolier Dweller

research the history of Boeing, its a good story and a lot of history involved with it,

Ilyushin

Thanks, very helpful. Good advise. Will surely do something with that!

Also I bet people will be impressed by the Tu-114 - flying at jet speed with propellers. ;D

swiftus27

Explain counter rotating props on the 114...

36l is a feat of engineering. How much concrete went into it?

Ilyushin

Quote from: swiftus27 on April 13, 2011, 08:50:53 PM
Explain counter rotating props on the 114...

36l is a feat of engineering. How much concrete went into it?

People don't care about contra rotating propellers. And it's off topic. :P

GEnx

Then try to find as much facts as you can about the "affiliation" between pilots and flight attendants (as is always assumed by the general public), and present these in a nice way. :laugh:

LemonButt

Most people don't know the Concorde was the 2nd Super-Sonic Transport (SST) built--the Tu-144 was before the Concorde.

Frogiton

I'm in high school too so I know what your going through. Unfortunately unless it has gore or funny in it, they're not gonna care anyways. Make some comparisons of fuel economy of old planes. Show a picture of the black smoke that spilled out of the engines of DC-8 at takeoff. Then you could crack a joke about that. Then how they evolved into a more efficient mode of transport than driving. Although its not the most interesting thing, fuel mileage is something people can relate to and somewhat know about.

Good luck man!

-Scott

swiftus27

Quote from: LemonButt on April 13, 2011, 09:51:17 PM
Most people don't know the Concorde was the 2nd Super-Sonic Transport (SST) built--the Tu-144 was before the Concorde.

It may have been built first but the concordski was rushed out too early and it crashed at the paris air show because of it

Jona L.

Quote from: LemonButt on April 13, 2011, 09:51:17 PM

Still it was stolen and spied out technology... proved by several investigations...

Jona L.

Ilyushin

Quote from: Jona L. on April 14, 2011, 06:14:41 PM
Still it was stolen and spied out technology... proved by several investigations...

Jona L.

Just like a few other Russian Soviet airliners. ;D

Jona L.

Quote from: Ilyushin on April 14, 2011, 06:16:48 PM
Just like a few other Russian Soviet airliners. ;D

Guess why I dislike them :P

that, and their fuel and maintenance bills....

Ilyushin