Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: AC size  (Read 516 times)

wapp11

• Former member
AC size
« on: March 17, 2011, 09:13:50 PM »
What determines aircraft size? One example that makes me ask this is the Fokker 100 its considered medium while the 717 is large. There are a few more like the 707 being very large where it holds no where near that of a 747 or AB 300. I suppose the era the plane was introduced has a factor and the 100 being grouped with the 70 make that group on average smaller than the 717.  Just looking for a better answer than what I came up with while running the tractor today.

Sigma

• Former member
Re: AC size
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 03:54:01 AM »
What determines size?

In a word:  Sami.

Maximum capacity is the prime consideration.   The range, and therefore the type of service it would typically be used for, plays some role as well.  And, like you mentioned, one must look at the entire fleet group as a whole.

The 707 probably gets into VLA because it can, in some versions, go up to 200 pax, IIRC.  And it's service would generally have put it into a different category than, say, a 737 though, on average, their capacity is probably fairly similar.

Of course when trying to put a whole host of models into 4 categories, and really just 3 (since most any 'airliner' will be well outside the bottom range), there's a lot of planes that end up straddling lines and judgement calls have to be made.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.