Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Flights Too Long??  (Read 2837 times)

Offline iFlysimX

• Members
Flights Too Long??
« on: March 13, 2011, 05:29:49 PM »
I checked on Air France Website and i found that AWS flight time is longer then real flight time.....Ive always notice this.

Here are some pics.

[attachment expired]

Offline iFlysimX

• Members
Re: Flights Too Long??
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 05:32:50 PM »
Also on the AWS Screen Shot its using a B777 just like Air France. Also the Flight time of 12h50min is referred as gate to gate. I AM NOT COMPLAINING.....Just checking

Thank You!

connorc17

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 07:04:03 PM »
^The jet stream is positioned in a way that would permit these short times to occur.

Ilyushin

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 07:17:10 PM »
Plus, AWS 'flight' times includes taxi times, whereas those times don't.

Correct me if wrong.

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 07:34:38 PM »
If I had to guess, I would say it's due to the jet stream calculations.  AWS I assume uses a straight line to determine the average wind component and flightpath whereas real world airlines use a bit more strategy in harnessing the wind:

[attachment expired]

d2031k

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 07:47:10 PM »
I think LemonButt is right here :) as the methods for Sami's calculations are in the link to this thread - http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,7058.0.html

Offline iFlysimX

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 08:50:15 PM »
Plus, AWS 'flight' times includes taxi times, whereas those times don't.

Correct me if wrong.

In Air France's Time its Gate to Gate

Offline iFlysimX

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 08:51:15 PM »
Maybe it should be improved for 1.3??

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 09:24:17 PM »
Maybe it should be improved for 1.3??

why does it matter?  Really?

Online Pilot Oatmeal

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 09:25:59 PM »
why does it matter?  Really?

Its not realistic and since this is a "Airline Management Simulation" it is not up to scratch and requires fixing

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 09:26:58 PM »
It's extremely complex and to further complicate things, the jet streams (polar, subtropic) are strongest at different altitudes, which means you could potentially fly under/over the jet stream winds depending on where you're flying.  It seems the easiest way to adjust for this is to make flights with stronger winds/longer durations have a higher likelihood of showing up early/on time.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 09:32:52 PM »
Its not realistic and since this is a "Airline Management Simulation" it is not up to scratch and requires fixing

Along with the other 10,000 unrealistic items.  I'd say pass on this one until about 7,500 of the other ones are fixed. 

slither360

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 09:36:20 PM »
If you want something to perfectly model every single variable factor that an airline has to face, I'd suggest you start up a real airline.

sami already has enough on his plate solving bug reports and adding connecting pax, city-based demand, etc.

Online Pilot Oatmeal

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 09:48:56 PM »
Right fair enough, i wasnt complaining I was simply answering swiftuses question.  It was like swiftus asking you why does geting connecting pax important?

Offline iFlysimX

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 10:18:53 PM »
Ok everyone RELAX......it was just a question ok......thats all and i just wanted to know why it was like that, thats it ok

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 10:53:20 PM »
Ok everyone RELAX......it was just a question ok......thats all and i just wanted to know why it was like that, thats it ok

Argentina does not observe daylight savings time while France does. This can account for most of the time that you're looking for...

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 11:35:30 PM »
Right fair enough, i wasnt complaining I was simply answering swiftuses question.  It was like swiftus asking you why does geting connecting pax important?

Connecting Pax has nothing to do with this at all.  Don't use that logic path.   I don't recall asking if connecting passengers are important.  I just find one hour plus on a long long flight really requires that much tweaking.  There are simply so many other areas I'd just focus my attention on instead of adding/subtracting an hour here and there.

Offline iFlysimX

• Members
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 12:46:01 AM »
Connecting Pax has nothing to do with this at all.  Don't use that logic path.   I don't recall asking if connecting passengers are important.  I just find one hour plus on a long long flight really requires that much tweaking.  There are simply so many other areas I'd just focus my attention on instead of adding/subtracting an hour here and there.

Its a 2hr diff.....

slither360

• Former member
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 02:28:41 AM »
Feel happy that everyone else has to deal with it too :)

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 04:47:54 AM »
I have no problem with this.   I have more issues with the following:

1.  Flying non etops rated planes across oceans.
2.  Flying 739s into London City.
3.  Having the same commonality penalty adding the 738 to your 734s as you get adding the A380.
4.  Frequency always winning
5.  Small plane airlines having no competitive chance.
6.  Do I need to say more?

Okay, there are some flights that are longer here than in real life.  So be it.  I just think that there are so many more areas to focus on.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.