Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Early Morning Ops  (Read 626 times)

Offline apenfold

• Members
Early Morning Ops
« on: March 13, 2011, 04:13:38 PM »
Firstly I wish to make it clear that this is NOT a complaint, I am just wanting to use the forum as a forum for discussion about early morning operations as I would like to know peoples opinions as to how AWS currently deals with them.

My motivations for starting this thread are mostly derived from a desire to be able to operate more successfully during the early hours (as it can be a pain to work around them, as no doubt many people know), and also from the analysis quoted below of EK's operations at DXB.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/4939112/

Now I realise that this may be flawed in the AWS model, as much of EK's traffic is connecting through the airport and this is of course not modelled - at least not yet - in AWS. However I am curious as to whether it is totally realistic that load factors drop off so massively if flights either depart or arrive during these hours. Whether the demand model should take into account the fact that many people will be connecting I do not know, however I cannot see that people would be put off flying a LH flight from - for instance - EHAM to WSSS (I'm based at WSSS in MT4, and I am operating only very few flights between 0000 and 0455) when nobody else is flying the route and this is the only available flight.

Personally I could understand flights arriving from 0200 to 0300 being of slightly reduced demand, and of departures from 0300 to 0400 being of reduced demand (and in fact I find it remarkable that this model does not take into the fact that to catch a flight that departs local time 0500, one generally would have to be up at 0100/0200 anyway). However such a universal drop specifically between these hours - whilst I can see it is likely to be easier to program - I find hard to deem realistic, when for a 02:00 flight one will be awake from the previous day - just to confirm this is for LH ops, I can totally understand the argument for these times on SH ops, and then once again the potential programming difficulty to distinguish - and therefore; personally at least, I would be more likely to take a 0200 departure than a 0500 departure, or indeed a 0600 and potentially even a 0700 flight time.

Please feel free to comment below, as I am interested to know what people think - and Sami please don't look on this as a complaint :).

And for those of you who aren't verse with the numerous aviation related acronyms (:P):
WSSS - Singapore Changi Airport
EHAM - Amsterdam Schipol Airport
EK - Emirates (real airline)
DXB - Dubai Airport
SH - Short Haul
LH - Long Haul
MT4 - Modern Times 4 Game World
AWS - AirwaySim

Offline swiftus27

• Members
Re: Early Morning Ops
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 06:25:37 PM »
I would never fly out at 0300.  I have flown out at 0600.   I simply disagree with you.  No one wants to arrive somewhere to a city asleep... nothing to do, nowhere to go... heck, you can't even check in to the hotel for hours.

slither360

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 08:48:37 PM »
At all Indian airports, IRL, most international ops happen between 2300-0500.

When it is your only choice, I am forced to wake up and take the flight.

The issue is that LFs in AWS are supply-centric, instead of demand-centric.

If my only choice was to fly at 0300, I would still buy the ticket, but if another flight is available between 0500 and 0000, the 0300 flight loses my business.

Online spiff23

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 05:30:02 AM »
I have been able to run flights out of Indian airports in AWS past 00:00 and even had a night "hub" at calcutta once with flights arriving then going east between 00:00-02:00.  Initially they take a while to get going, but the LF has always been high enough to make decent money.  

it seems similar to real world as I've arrived and departed Delhi past midnight.

overall I wouldn't build a whole night schedule ala Eastern's Moonlight special ORD hub in the 1980s, but if you need to keep a plane a flying and the route supports the extra demand it seems like you can keep making money for the plane on certain routes.  Maybe if cargo gets built in you can recreate eastern's moonlight specials and offer $10 standby fares  ;)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 05:34:17 AM by spiff23 »

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.