Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Frustrated!!  (Read 556 times)

pricejs

• Former member
Frustrated!!
« on: March 06, 2011, 01:30:56 AM »
Just when I think I get the hang of this game, I do something and go bankrupt.  All of my planes are showing a profit, yet my bank account keeps going down and down.  What do I do?  What is causing me to lose money?  How can I get a better picture of what my actual expenses and actual income are?

Thanks!

Offline EricB

• Members
Re: Frustrated!!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 01:54:43 AM »
Just take a look in "income statement" and see what expense is causing your economy to lack. Deal with it and learn from your mistake.
Best luck.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 02:00:37 AM by Eric Bergendahl »
// EricB

Sanabas

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 05:18:56 AM »
Just when I think I get the hang of this game, I do something and go bankrupt.  All of my planes are showing a profit, yet my bank account keeps going down and down.  What do I do?  What is causing me to lose money?  How can I get a better picture of what my actual expenses and actual income are?

Thanks!

You have just 15 planes, all of which are doing similar jobs.

However:

You have 3 different planes (ATR 42, BAC 475, CRJ1000), which means your maintenance and staff training are a lot more than they need to be.

You are flying to ~40 airports. There are 4 routes that have 600-1000 pax per day demand that you are providing just 1 flight for. If you cut back to 15 airports, and fill each of those 4 routes, your ticket sales should be similar but your marketing cost will be much lower.

Most importantly, you've opened a 2nd base, which drives up all your costs.

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 02:02:33 PM »
A key thing to keep in mind is that the "plane" view of profitability is only showing variable costs of running your airline and not the fixed/overhead costs that aren't specifically allocated to a route/plane.

For example, the route screen will show you profitability from a revenue minus fuel + landing/other fees view. Then on the plane view, it'll show you that same revenue minus fuel minus estimated a/b checks minus lease payment. That view doesn't include staff, staff training, C/D checks, fleet commonality charges, airport rent and a few other income statement line items.

From what I've seen with the sim, if you can fly your planes around 85%+ (or sometimes less) full at standard price, you're pretty much guarenteed to be profitable as long as you don't do silly things that drive up your fixed costs (please see Sanabas's post for hints).

Sure, there's other things that can boost profitability. For example, the smaller the plane you fly, the more difficult it is to make money as an airline. Also, the longer your flights are, the less profiable you'll be. Thus, you're better off doing 2 4 hour round trips than you are a single 8 hour round trip.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 02:07:26 PM »
A key thing to keep in mind is that the "plane" view of profitability is only showing variable costs of running your airline and not the fixed/overhead costs that aren't specifically allocated to a route/plane.

one of the biggest mistakes that new players make.  Good call.  I have had to mention this MANY times. 

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.