Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Hard to find a good airport for a tech stop  (Read 596 times)

Cyrai

• Former member
Hard to find a good airport for a tech stop
« on: March 02, 2011, 06:23:50 AM »
I'm planning a route between Boise, Idaho and Chicago, Illinois. I want to add a tech stop so I can carry more passengers. However, I'm not sure how to find airports between KBOI and KORD. I can sort by distance, but I still have to check every single airport to see whether they're actually close to between the two airports. Is there some way to figure out which airports are actually between two airports, or do I have to check every single one manually? Even a map of all the airports would work just fine

Jps

• Former member
Re: Hard to find a good airport for a tech stop
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 06:48:39 AM »

Sigma

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 07:03:46 AM »
Aside from your actual question (which, no, there's no way to see how far off a given route airports enroute are), what do you mean by, "I want to add a tech stop so I can carry more passengers"?  

All a tech stop does is refuel the plane.  You cannot pick up any additional passengers enroute or otherwise transfer passengers at all within AWS.  If your plane just doesn't have the fuel to make it that far fully-loaded then, yes, a tech-stop will help.  But be forewarned that flights that include tech-stops have an inherent penalty to their pax preference.  You may lose more pax as a result of having a stop enroute than you get by being able to take-off with more seats filled.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 07:07:05 AM by Sigma »

Cyrai

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 07:48:14 AM »
Aside from your actual question (which, no, there's no way to see how far off a given route airports enroute are), what do you mean by, "I want to add a tech stop so I can carry more passengers"?  

All a tech stop does is refuel the plane.  You cannot pick up any additional passengers enroute or otherwise transfer passengers at all within AWS.  If your plane just doesn't have the fuel to make it that far fully-loaded then, yes, a tech-stop will help.  But be forewarned that flights that include tech-stops have an inherent penalty to their pax preference.  You may lose more pax as a result of having a stop enroute than you get by being able to take-off with more seats filled.

Yeah, I'm going for the second one, where I just need more fuel to carry a full load of passengers? Why doesn't AirwaySim have the ability to figure out airports that are reasonable for tech stops? Compared to some of the other routing problems, figuring out the airport closest to the route is a breeze

Sigma

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 08:22:17 AM »
Why doesn't AirwaySim have the ability to figure out airports that are reasonable for tech stops? Compared to some of the other routing problems, figuring out the airport closest to the route is a breeze

Probably for the same reason it doesn't have about 10,000 other, far more needed, features -- because sami hasn't gotten around to coding it in yet. 

It's not exactly an easy thing to do anyway since simply the distance off a route whenever the Tech Stop destination is listed wouldn't be sufficient; you'd need to include 3 separate distances because what you're really plotting are points on a (very narrow) geodesic triangle, the distances of each 'leg' would be requisite.  The distance off the line alone would mean nothing, you'd also want the distance from the origin and destination so that you could pick a destination somewhere along the way, not simply just outside of origin or too close to destination to be useful.  That's a fairly hefty calculation for every airport to hit the server.  The server would have to actually plot the route to know how far an airport is off the arc, whereas now it doesn't need to do any math at all and simply do a lookup on distances between OD pairs (or it may be doing a simple cos/sin calculation on points on a sphere using lat/long if sami doesn't use a static distance table, I'm not sure).

To do what you want all you've really got to do is open the "All Airport" map, pick a dot in the middle of your planned route, and go to that one.  It's not always that easy if you're using a really big plane, simply because runway limitations can be a factor, but since you've got to be flying something small since you don't have the fuel to make it all that way as it is you should be able to land at 99.99% of airports in between.

Cyrai

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 10:30:32 PM »
To do what you want all you've really got to do is open the "All Airport" map, pick a dot in the middle of your planned route, and go to that one.  It's not always that easy if you're using a really big plane, simply because runway limitations can be a factor, but since you've got to be flying something small since you don't have the fuel to make it all that way as it is you should be able to land at 99.99% of airports in between.

Ah, that's what I was missing. I couldn't find any way to look at what airports there were

Pike

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 12:08:30 AM »
I think you are missing the most important part of all this....

You are making an enormous mistake flying something between ORD and BOI that even
requires a tech stop.  There are dozens of destinations much, much closer to ORD that will net
you a profit vs. sending this either very small or very range limited aircraft to BOI.  In short, you're
going to kill your airline in short order doing this sort of thing.  Tech stops are a horrible idea to begin
with, and beyond horrible when talking about domestic flights that don't have something to do with Hawaii.
About the only game I can imagine this being needed would be in one of the pre-jet scenarios.

Sigma tried to tell you this too, but maybe repetition will help you to understand.

Cyrai

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 12:37:52 AM »
I did read it and decided to do something different. But now I know what to do if I ever actually do make a tech stop route

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.