When is the next modern scenario scheduled?

Started by NicholasB, February 02, 2011, 10:09:51 AM

NicholasB

Hi Guys & sami,

I have taken about 6 months or so off the game and am now getting itchy again to start an airline. I have not seen anything about upcoming games and am curios when they will start. especially a modern type scenario. Any info you can give is appreciated.

Happy belated New Year to you all!

NicholasB

Sami

The present MT runs for a month & half and I would presume the next one starts in about a month. It depends a bit on my coding schedule (regarding v.1.3 updates) and I'm lagging behind a bit....

Jps

You could also join the Beginner world, since you've been absent for more than 5 months...

Maarten Otto

Personally I would more then welcome a Euro or USA challenge in the meantime.

RushmoreAir

Quote from: Maarten Otto on February 02, 2011, 01:38:09 PM
Personally I would more then welcome a Euro or USA challenge in the meantime.

I'd like it if Sami could just "throw together" a USA challenge (USA only, 200 players) for the meantime.   ;D 8)

iFlysimX

Quote from: RushmoreAir on February 02, 2011, 08:44:16 PM
I'd like it if Sami could just "throw together" a USA challenge (USA only, 200 players) for the meantime.   ;D 8)

I agree and why doesnt he have more worlds?? Is it something hard to do?? I think there should be a few more running at once......

Clement

Sigma

Quote from: Clement on February 03, 2011, 12:26:02 AM
I agree and why doesnt he have more worlds?? Is it something hard to do?? I think there should be a few more running at once......

Clement

More worlds take more CPU cycles to operate.  There's also the bigger issue of spreading the playerbase too thin.  Every new world vacates older ones more and more as people are less and less inclined to enter into an existing world if a new one is there and also tend to leave existing worlds so that they can start fresh in a new one.

NicholasB

Quote from: Sigma on February 03, 2011, 12:29:12 AM
More worlds take more CPU cycles to operate.  There's also the bigger issue of spreading the playerbase too thin.  Every new world vacates older ones more and more as people are less and less inclined to enter into an existing world if a new one is there and also tend to leave existing worlds so that they can start fresh in a new one.

personally I think the games worlds are too long. That was the main reason I got bored and decided to take a break. 3-4 months or longer becomes very boring, and I believe that, if you have set your airline up correctly at the start, the airline basicaly ( I use this term lightly) operates itself until game end. I would be very happy for shorter games days, and or more frequent games.

Just my opinion.

On another note:

Sami, would it be possible for you to post the download links for the aircraft repaint templates outside the game area? perhaps in the repaint thread. While I wait for the next modern game, I feel like getting creative and and designing some liveries.

Thanks,

NicholasB

swiftus27

Each world has tons of players at startup and then dwindle as the game progresses.  Perhaps there should be a sliding scale on the number of allowed airlines in a game... perhaps 300 at first, 200 at the half way point and then less later.

In aws, people love the early game and it tends to sag mid game.  Expansion is too easy and too rapid early on.  You'll see almost every feature request I ask for either directly or indirectly deals with this.

JumboShrimp

Quote from: swiftus27 on February 03, 2011, 09:05:42 AM
Each world has tons of players at startup and then dwindle as the game progresses.  Perhaps there should be a sliding scale on the number of allowed airlines in a game... perhaps 300 at first, 200 at the half way point and then less later.

In aws, people love the early game and it tends to sag mid game.  Expansion is too easy and too rapid early on.  You'll see almost every feature request I ask for either directly or indirectly deals with this.

I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing that the number of airlines dwindle over time.  There should be new game worlds starting at least once per month, so that players who are either bored or in a dead end situation, so that these players have a new game to move to.  That way, it maximizes the "fun" factor for everyone, keep players involved, keep them from drifting away.

If I need to wait 2 months for something, in 2 months I might even forget about it, or be involved in something else.  Another suggestion would be to modify the lobby, and have the upcoming game starts posted there.  And instead of "Join" button, just an announcement of the game start date and time (or a timer with the number of days left to the next game start).

I understand that we are now in a transition time, that Sami would probably like to start the new game on 1.3...

iFlysimX

Quote from: JumboShrimp on February 03, 2011, 02:35:36 PM
I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing that the number of airlines dwindle over time.  There should be new game worlds starting at least once per month, so that players who are either bored or in a dead end situation, so that these players have a new game to move to.  That way, it maximizes the "fun" factor for everyone, keep players involved, keep them from drifting away.

If I need to wait 2 months for something, in 2 months I might even forget about it, or be involved in something else.  Another suggestion would be to modify the lobby, and have the upcoming game starts posted there.  And instead of "Join" button, just an announcement of the game start date and time (or a timer with the number of days left to the next game start).

I understand that we are now in a transition time, that Sami would probably like to start the new game on 1.3...

I agree with you......a New World every month sound very nice!!!

swiftus27

Sami is perfectly aware that the current game cycle is flawed in terms of game starts and finishes.

iFlysimX

Quote from: swiftus27 on February 03, 2011, 08:44:44 PM
Sami is perfectly aware that the current game cycle is flawed in terms of game starts and finishes.

So lets hope it changes!!

Sami

The next Beginner World is due in about a week, but besides of that .. how about a quick North America challenge for all other players?

(official announcement later on)

RushmoreAir

Quote from: sami on February 05, 2011, 05:46:10 AM
.. how about a quick North America challenge for all other players?

That sounds great!   ;D

Maarten Otto

Quote from: sami on February 05, 2011, 05:46:10 AM
how about a quick North America challenge for all other players?

Count me in.

GlobalCEO

iFlysimX