Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] Interface request - route planning & other stuff  (Read 1191 times)

Sanabas

• Former member
[-] Interface request - route planning & other stuff
« on: December 17, 2010, 02:49:20 AM »
I have just joined the beginner's world, and also jumped into the Jet Age world. I'm still learning the interface, what info is available, etc. One thing I'm finding a little frustrating is that when route planning, I can type in a particular range, and get a list of airports sorted by airport size. But the list doesn't give me an approximate number of passengers per day for a particular route, to do that I need to manually open each route, and see what it says. The info is available in game, in fact I can check the projected demand for a route between any two airports in game by clicking on enough links. So I need to make myself plenty of notes.

What would be very helpful to my planning is to have that route demand able to be seen as a list. I type in a 0-750 range from my home in Barcelona, and the list starts with Heathrow, Paris, Frankfurt, Amsterdam. Madrid is 5th on the list, but has nearly 3 times the demand of the others. Majorca is 10th on the list, a domestic flight, but has less demand than a lot of smaller airports. I expect when I start planning longhaul routes, I'll have an even bigger list of airports to manually trawl through. Instead of needing to guess, try and remember geography about which flights are domestic, which cross time zones, and then open up each route to write down the numbers, I would really like to see the ability to see the numbers already on the planning list. Same deal for timezones. I would also like the ability to filter my route planning list by projected daily numbers, by timezone, say to look for a route of a certain distance with a daily demand of at least 300, or to look for a route of 1000-1500 distance to an airport 3 hours ahead of mine, to find something that lets me fly overnight while still landing before midnight/after 6 local time.

In the same vein, if I open up a route map for my airline, or for any other, I can click on a destination airport to open up a bubble, with a link to the info for that airport, and I can go from that page to open up route planning and see the demand, etc. It'd be great to be able to look at a route map, click on the destination, and also have a link to the route planning info.

Both of these are just convenience things, it's all info I can manually pull from the system myself, it's just unwieldly & time-consuming to do so.

Something else in the same category would be seeing a yearly cost for leasing a plane. I can look at a used plane, see the price to buy, to lease, for maintenance, and generate myself a rough comparison of how much 12 months' lease, 11 (or 12?) B Checks, 1 C check and ~40 A checks will cost. Again, would be good to see that as a column on the used aircraft page, right next to the sale price. I assume lease price is derived straight from sale price, haven't investigated properly.

One thing that doesn't seem to be available is to see how much other airlines are charging for a particular route. Don't know if I just haven't found it, or if it's a deliberate choice because of gameplay mechanics. But IRL, if I want to know what an airline charges for a route, I just ask them. In game, I can see scheduling, times, planes flying the route, everything but price. In the Jet Age, I started in an empty airport, but the busiest route out of it is already overpropulated by a couple of airlines. So I added a few of my flights to it, and made them half-price. But I have no idea if I'm jumping into a route where the other two fly at normal prices with less than full planes, or if I'm jumping into the middle of an already existing price war, where running half-price flights won't help. I'd like to see that, I suspect it might be a conscious gameplay choice.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 08:51:18 PM by sami »

ucfknightryan

• Former member
Re: Interface request - route planning & other stuff
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 06:21:11 AM »
One thing that doesn't seem to be available is to see how much other airlines are charging for a particular route. Don't know if I just haven't found it, or if it's a deliberate choice because of gameplay mechanics. But IRL, if I want to know what an airline charges for a route, I just ask them. In game, I can see scheduling, times, planes flying the route, everything but price. In the Jet Age, I started in an empty airport, but the busiest route out of it is already overpropulated by a couple of airlines. So I added a few of my flights to it, and made them half-price. But I have no idea if I'm jumping into a route where the other two fly at normal prices with less than full planes, or if I'm jumping into the middle of an already existing price war, where running half-price flights won't help. I'd like to see that, I suspect it might be a conscious gameplay choice.

Other player's pricing is not available, and your correct that that is a conscious choice on the part of the developers for gameplay reasons.

Welcome aboard  ;D

Sanabas

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 06:43:30 AM »
Other player's pricing is not available, and your correct that that is a conscious choice on the part of the developers for gameplay reasons.

Welcome aboard  ;D

Thanks.

Have noticed another thing with the interface I'd like, I can filter the used aircraft list by range. But the only filter options are >300, >600, etc. If I want to see the different sorts of small propeller planes, I'd set the filter to <600 or <1000, and get a list that doesn't include 4 pages of 707/727/737/747s. Would be good to have less than options in the list too, or even just the same as the route planning filter, with the ability to set a min & max for range.

ucfknightryan

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 06:47:45 AM »
Thanks.

Have noticed another thing with the interface I'd like, I can filter the used aircraft list by range. But the only filter options are >300, >600, etc. If I want to see the different sorts of small propeller planes, I'd set the filter to <600 or <1000, and get a list that doesn't include 4 pages of 707/727/737/747s. Would be good to have less than options in the list too, or even just the same as the route planning filter, with the ability to set a min & max for range.

yeah more options there would be nice, or the ability to filter by fleet group.  There's another thread around here somewhere about this, but I can't remember if Sami has said if there are changes coming to the used aircraft list in the next version or not.

Offline ArcherII

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 11:18:23 AM »
I have just joined the beginner's world, and also jumped into the Jet Age world. I'm still learning the interface, what info is available, etc. One thing I'm finding a little frustrating is that when route planning, I can type in a particular range, and get a list of airports sorted by airport size. But the list doesn't give me an approximate number of passengers per day for a particular route, to do that I need to manually open each route, and see what it says. The info is available in game, in fact I can check the projected demand for a route between any two airports in game by clicking on enough links. So I need to make myself plenty of notes.

What would be very helpful to my planning is to have that route demand able to be seen as a list. I type in a 0-750 range from my home in Barcelona, and the list starts with Heathrow, Paris, Frankfurt, Amsterdam. Madrid is 5th on the list, but has nearly 3 times the demand of the others. Majorca is 10th on the list, a domestic flight, but has less demand than a lot of smaller airports. I expect when I start planning longhaul routes, I'll have an even bigger list of airports to manually trawl through. Instead of needing to guess, try and remember geography about which flights are domestic, which cross time zones, and then open up each route to write down the numbers, I would really like to see the ability to see the numbers already on the planning list. Same deal for timezones. I would also like the ability to filter my route planning list by projected daily numbers, by timezone, say to look for a route of a certain distance with a daily demand of at least 300, or to look for a route of 1000-1500 distance to an airport 3 hours ahead of mine, to find something that lets me fly overnight while still landing before midnight/after 6 local time.

In the same vein, if I open up a route map for my airline, or for any other, I can click on a destination airport to open up a bubble, with a link to the info for that airport, and I can go from that page to open up route planning and see the demand, etc. It'd be great to be able to look at a route map, click on the destination, and also have a link to the route planning info.

Both of these are just convenience things, it's all info I can manually pull from the system myself, it's just unwieldly & time-consuming to do so.

Something else in the same category would be seeing a yearly cost for leasing a plane. I can look at a used plane, see the price to buy, to lease, for maintenance, and generate myself a rough comparison of how much 12 months' lease, 11 (or 12?) B Checks, 1 C check and ~40 A checks will cost. Again, would be good to see that as a column on the used aircraft page, right next to the sale price. I assume lease price is derived straight from sale price, haven't investigated properly.

The challenge of opening a route is to find one with unmet demand that other players haven't noticed. If you're a newcomer to the game (or even to the airport), with this option you're asking, there'll be no routes with useful demand because they are easy to find. You NEED to research the routes and you will most certainly find one and wish nobody else does! The current model favors new airlines in that regard, so better keep it that way  :).

Offline ArcherII

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 11:22:15 AM »
Thanks.

You can filter to <1000 and <110 pax (most props don't carry more than that).

Online Kazari

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 04:39:21 PM »
Sami has said in the past that given the 30-minute game days that it would be computationally impossible to give actual passenger counts on a per-route basis. It's no trivial matter to figure passenger demand between EACH of the airports in the world.

Offline mhardebeck

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 05:01:28 PM »
ArcherII, while I agree that there is some merit to not providing demand data out in the open; you have to agree that, currently, it is a very tedious process to discover that information.  Perhaps a solution could be a filter that will allow you to search for airports with a certain weekly or daily demand.  I think you would also agree that long-time players know which routes have high demand and so they don't have to do a lot of searching since I doubt that demand changes radically from one game to another.  I think this might be a good solution for the newbies or those less-experienced to allow them to find routes without all the work currently required.  Just a thought...

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 08:50:42 PM »
Route planning filtering/sorting/searching directly by demand figures will not be available with the current system.

Sanabas

• Former member
Re: [-] Interface request - route planning & other stuff
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 10:07:40 PM »
Sounds good. I disagree with me 10 months ago, now that I know more about how the system works.  :laugh:

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.