Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Please rework the marketing model  (Read 869 times)

brasidas422

• Former member
Please rework the marketing model
« on: November 03, 2010, 02:36:07 PM »
I have done media buys in real life and the marketing model here really needs to be improved. A media buy is media buy is a media buy- the size of the company buying is of no consequence. AirwaysSim can take out an ad in the New York Times just as World of Warcraft can. The rate is the same.

So "Tiny Airlines" pays the same for a media buy in Chicago as United in real life. Period. United has the cash for more and on better venues, whereas a smaller company simply isn't going to sponsor a sports arena. I think the model would be better served with the following options that are fair to large and small airlines.

Keep the local, state, national, global options.

Instead of sepcific media to select- billboard, radio, TV, etc. have scaled marketing options in a media mix. Internet should always be the same.

High end: TV ads on all the major networks, top national papers, top FM radio, etc. All in prime time or with the best exposure.

Medium end: A mix of really cheap stations, papers etc. and the high end stations, but at off peak times/locations for the high end stuff.

Low end: A the cheapest of the cheap. Not glitzy by any means but still reaching people.

These levels could be simulated in the game with the advertising firm suggesting the amount the target audience they can reach. Then have random results against the promised rates that can be 10% over of under what is promised. This replicates the viral nature of some ads and the flop that is others.

Base the cost on the population of the area you are reaching and it's location. Have a couple of tiers for that as well. Top tier is like London, NYC, etc and down from there. This would be a multiplier that raises or lowers the cost of the medi mix packages. The High End package will not cost nearly as much in Ricmond Virginia as it will in Los Angles California.

So bottomline is a choice of scaled media packages multiplied by the cost of the market. Put a little randomness in so that at times your ad company has a great commercial like Soutwest has from time to time that goes viral and some times you get something lame that does not do as well. Don't punish regional small arilines by making everyone pay high end rates. Smaller markets have an advantage for advertising.

But the the model where you pay more becuase you are bigger really should go.

I think any more detail is overwhleming but I would ad that the ad quality is factored into the media level above. You want to be on primetime TV, the production costs are high. You want the cheapy stuff you don't need a high quality production. Those are factored into my "levels" suggested.

Fun game and I will play it with or without any marketing at all, but I thought I would bring this up. At work so I apologize if this is rushed or unclear. Happy to clarfy, so please pick away at this.

Also I would be happy to volunteer some time to improve this. I can't code, but I could certainly help build out the model.

Offline powi

• Members
Re: Please rework the marketing model
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 03:28:49 PM »
There is nothing wrong with your ideas. However the current system does great job at minimizing micromanagement needed for advertising. The current system principle is also sound: big company needs to spend more money than a small one for the same company image. I understand that you don't want to change this? The current names of marketing campaigns are there just for immersion, they don't server any functions in game calculations. Changing the names might improve immersion, but would not affect game play. Any change to make marketing more complex is not something I personally would welcome - there is already too much micromanagement in this game.

Jps

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 03:44:38 PM »
I agree with Powi, marketing is good as is.
The difference in costs comes from assumption that as the airline grows and flies to more and more destinations, it will have to market on a broader range; it's sufficient for a small aircraft to have ads in a few local newspapers, but a bigger company will need to market in numerous papers and tv channels around the world, thus increased costs.
The marketing items in game only reflect how much money you are spending on marketing (how big ads, how many papers, channels etc.) and don't actually mean that 'this option makes you tv ads and raises your CI by x%'.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 09:15:11 PM »
As you're an expert in that area feel free to write more details about realworld stuff and ideas for improvements here (for later use).. This is not my priority area now however so changes are not expected for some time.

Sigma

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 09:35:13 PM »
Ditching "TV, Radio, Billboard" in exchange for "High, Medium, Low" is just a matter of semantics.  All you're really doing in AWS is spending money with your choice, so choosing "TV" has exactly the same effect as choosing "High End".  It's not like you're actually making a commercial, you can just as well imagine that you're buying top-tier radio ad space or the back cover of Time or whatever.

Now what should matter is the size of the markets being served.  And that can very easily be done by having your Marketing costs scale not just by the number of routes you operate as it does today, but a function of the number of routes you operate and the size of those destinations.  We already have "airport size" as a variable for destinations, let's use it.  An airline flying a single route of 10,000/day shouldn't have 1/10th the marketing budget of an airline flying to 100 tiny destinations of 100/day.  Being in a Size 9 airport and flying to 10 size 9 airports should cost you much more than flying to ten size 5 airports and that should cost more than basing in a size 5 and flying to 10 other size 5s.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 09:38:38 PM by Sigma »

brasidas422

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 10:49:57 AM »
Sigma,

I see your point. One element is more fluff and the second more in terms of mechanics. What you key on is the what I think matters most and helps pare down my argument in a way that may help the posters above undersatnd what I am communicating. The worlds biggest airline still has cheaper media buys when it is headquartered and flying from Topeka Kansas. Advertising should be based on market size of the routes flown. The NY to Chicago route woud be absurdly expensive. The NY to Topeka route would be significanlty cheaper.
I think a small change lot that would make a significant difference in realism. But the logic that bigger means more cost suggested above simply makes little to no sense.)

That being said in the end this is not a marketing game, and is a great time regardless.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.