Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: AWS and Seaplanes/Flying Boats  (Read 731 times)

Offline raptorva

• Members
AWS and Seaplanes/Flying Boats
« on: October 24, 2010, 06:08:00 AM »
I was thinking the other day on what would make things more interesting for certain scenarios and I realized that no seaplanes of flying boats are in AWS. Granted their bases aren't modelled in AWS currently but could that be a future prospect? Some such as Rose Bay in Sydney are still operational. Would make things interesting as a contrast to the the landplane airlines.

Offline catspaw27

• Members
Re: AWS and Seaplanes/Flying Boats
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 04:59:59 PM »
Good idea, but limited potential.  I can see it in Alaska, Hawaii, maybe Florida in the states.  Where else in the world are Seaplanes a key air-travel option?

GEnx

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 05:07:15 PM »
I guess Australia and New Zealand.. Oh and the Greek islands like Corfu. And maybe Greenland as well?

minerva

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 06:13:53 PM »
Most of the air carriers in Canada are small float-plane outfits catering to anglers and hunters and other recreational travel, and servicing isolated communities.  I don't know how much fun running an airline with half a dozen 3-10 passenger aircraft would be, however....

Offline MRFREAK

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 10:14:25 PM »
The Caribbean islands :)

Offline Seattle

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 10:55:31 PM »
Washington State - Puget Sound, Seattle, Straight of Jaun de Fuca

British Columbia - Pretty much everywhere along the coast and even on lake inland

Alaska - Similar

and others have said Caribbean, Oz/Nz, etc.

Certainly quite a bit of potential
Founder of the Star Alliance!

Offline raptorva

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 04:41:41 AM »
Basically I was just thinking how to add another side to the game rather than the current generic airline model.
Granted still staff costs need to be sorted first to allow small airlines to work and then throw in cargo later on and you have at least 3 different types of airline you can choose to operate.
Plus with flying boats, it would make those early days scenarios quite interesting as those (such as the Boeing 314 Clipper) were the only aircraft of their day with enough range to fly long distance.

Frogiton

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 05:01:02 AM »
Limited to Seaplanes and planes like Caravans and Beechcraft 1900s. That would be pretty cool.

Offline catspaw27

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 11:59:15 PM »
To take it another step further...

You could have an option of enhancing your own base (like Anchorage) and expand to a Sea Plane base.  It would be similar to opening up another base with added expenses, but it would adjoin your existing airport.

If you are land-locked, you do not have the option.

GEnx

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 05:57:59 AM »
Would it be a real enhancement to a normal running airline with, say, 100 or so 150-pax aircraft? I think not, it'd rather be like an addition. Cargo divisions, on the other hand, are of much more value for airlines to enhance their operations.. So I think adding seaplanes as a real enhancement wouldn't work.

Offline raptorva

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 06:06:39 AM »
I'm not saying its for airlines flying 100-150 PAX jets but rather for those players who would like a different challenge. I find having a large jet airline gets boring really fast. A small commuter airline is more of a challenge, particularly in the current version.

ICEcoldair881

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 02:20:54 AM »
Most of the air carriers in Canada are small float-plane outfits catering to anglers and hunters and other recreational travel, and servicing isolated communities.  I don't know how much fun running an airline with half a dozen 3-10 passenger aircraft would be, however....

??? what ever happened to Jazz, WestJet, Buffalo Airways, Air Canada Express (Air Alliance), Porter, Air Lab etc. ??? None of them fly float planes that I know of. :P

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.