Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Slot Hogging? Or Not?  (Read 3925 times)

Offline RushmoreAir

• Members
Slot Hogging? Or Not?
« on: October 11, 2010, 02:55:57 PM »
In MT3, I am based in Detroit (72 departures an hour).  I want to fly small planes to Chicago (69 departures an hour).   The demand between the two is approx 1100.  Can I fly small turboprops between the two, or would it be slot hogging?

Offline NorgeFly

• Members
Re: Slot Hogging? Or Not?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 03:09:19 PM »
That would be legitimate use of the slots.

Jps

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 03:19:32 PM »
I believe using a lot of slots is ok as long as you didn't intend on replacing the small planes with larger ones flying to (many) different destination when (or around the same time) you created the routes.

Offline RushmoreAir

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 03:21:45 PM »
I believe using a lot of slots is ok as long as you didn't intend on replacing the small planes with larger ones flying to (many) different destination when (or around the same time) you created the routes.

No.  I just want to run my competitor at DTW out of business.

Terrence Klaverweide

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 03:34:59 PM »
No.  I just want to run my competitor at DTW out of business.

That's the spirit!

Bolier Dweller

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 03:53:35 PM »
+1 for running people out of business.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 09:23:40 PM »
1100 pax / 60 seats means ~18 daily departures. So you'd end up using 18 slots only per airport, so that's not as bad as it first may sound.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 09:25:09 PM »
1100 pax / 60 seats means ~18 daily departures. So you'd end up using 18 slots only per airport, so that's not as bad as it first may sound.

bad assumption, Sami.  I bet he goes to 110-120% of demand.  That means you have a flight almost every hour to that destination.  How common is that?

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 09:37:24 PM »
Always, a good question to ask is what if everyone did that.  If everyone did that, it would ruin the game, since the slots would be used up at just about every airport, with nowhere to fly.  In real world, the airport authority would put an end to it.

Since we don't have it here, and it is a complete waste of Sami's time to look into individual cases, I think there should be slot rental charge, making such strategy less desirable (less profitable) - all without the need for administrative intervention.  Slot rental fee would be just part of doing business, and another variable to take into account.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 09:39:26 PM »
Slot rent fee is something that may be considered. But I'm still mentally strongly against it as that's not the reality.. :P   (but other part of mind says it would be smart for the game balance in some cases)

Jona L.

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 09:49:19 PM »
Slot rent fee is something that may be considered. But I'm still mentally strongly against it as that's not the reality.. :P   (but other part of mind says it would be smart for the game balance in some cases)

due to high slot prices I fly no plane less than 125 seats (except for one B736 with 113seats from LHR-LGA), and it makes the bill go green again in the end!
I pay >1.5M for one week of slots in LHR!!

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 09:49:23 PM »
Always, a good question to ask is what if everyone did that.  If everyone did that, it would ruin the game, since the slots would be used up at just about every airport, with nowhere to fly.  In real world, the airport authority would put an end to it.

Since we don't have it here, and it is a complete waste of Sami's time to look into individual cases, I think there should be slot rental charge, making such strategy less desirable (less profitable) - all without the need for administrative intervention.  Slot rental fee would be just part of doing business, and another variable to take into account.

Also why I have been BEGGING for there to be less of a frequency bonus.

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 10:00:10 PM »
US Air is flying 20x daily from LGA-PHL with regional jets in the real world.  Seems like slot hogging to me, but there's nothing the regulators can do about it....

ucfknightryan

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 10:02:41 PM »
bad assumption, Sami.  I bet he goes to 110-120% of demand.  That means you have a flight almost every hour to that destination.  How common is that?

I don't know how common it is but it does happen.  They've apparently cut back or sold out some flights, but last time I checked you could fly from MCO to EWR on Contenential at least once an hour between something like 0500 and 2100, and Delta flies 752s and 753s from MCO to ATL every hour between 0530 and 2030.

The problem is it's hard to define anything as slot hogging as long as its satisfying demand and making money so long as the game has the current large bias in favor of smaller aircraft.

Offline NorgeFly

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 10:03:45 PM »
Shuttle style services are not uncommon on busy routes between two business centres. Frequency and flexibility is very important on some routes.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 10:04:43 PM »
I am sorry. With how busy OHare is, there is just no way that they'd allow someone to fly tiny A/C to Detroit 20 times a day.  No way. 

jordanD

• Former member
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 10:28:18 PM »
Shuttle style services are not uncommon on busy routes between two business centres. Frequency and flexibility is very important on some routes.
Bingo. Look at the previously mentioned US Airways Shuttle (now disbanded) that operated between the big cities on the east coast in the US. Also there's a lot of hourly inter-island service in Hawaii.

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 10:38:22 PM »
I am sorry. With how busy OHare is, there is just no way that they'd allow someone to fly tiny A/C to Detroit 20 times a day.  No way. 

Since the 6th runway was built, ORD doesn't have slot restrictions anymore.  The only issue at ORD is gate space these days....

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 10:40:49 PM »

The game balance is something that should be considered.  Reading the posts, slot hogging (with airports running out of slots) and over-use of small aircraft to take advantage of frequency bonus are probably #1 and #2 complaints.

It could leave the role of frequency as is, but make it more costly,  in the long run, less advantageous.  In the long run, players will end up using the right sized aircraft for the routes.

Offline NorgeFly

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 11:05:51 PM »
I am sorry. With how busy OHare is, there is just no way that they'd allow someone to fly tiny A/C to Detroit 20 times a day.  No way.  

American Airlines fly LGA to ORD 15+ times per day with MD80s and 757's... so by your argument they shouldn't be allowed and should be forced to fly 767s or A300s 5 times per day instead? There are many commuter routes with frequent flights with aircraft of a size that balances capacity with frequency.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.