Quick photoshop question!

Started by T8KE0FF, September 26, 2010, 05:33:48 PM

T8KE0FF

Bought the new Photoshop today, its all going good, but there is one thing I dunno how to do!

I want to have the grey box on the livery, not behind the plane or anything, just on the livery.

If you know, could you please tell me how to do this?

Screenshots would be great, but not essential..

Brockster

I'm sorry, not quite sure what you'd like to know. The grey box appears to be on the plane at the bottom. Do you mean that you'd like the box to stay within the borders of the livery and not spill out on the sides?

T8KE0FF

Quote from: Brockster on September 26, 2010, 11:41:14 PM
I'm sorry, not quite sure what you'd like to know. The grey box appears to be on the plane at the bottom. Do you mean that you'd like the box to stay within the borders of the livery and not spill out on the sides?

Yep!

Brockster

There are a few ways to do this, but the first that comes to mind is this:

1. Go to the "PAINT HERE" layer.
2. Select the "Magic Wand" tool and click on the outside of the fuselage. The whole outside of the fuselage should now hopefully be selected. If that doesn't work then you can change the tolerance to 1 or something small.
3. Now, click on the "Shape 1" layer (the one with the grey box).
4. Rasterize the "Shape 1" layer by going to Layer -> Rasterize -> Shape (or whatever option it gives you; you can also select layer).
5. Now that your Shape layer is rasterized, hit delete. If all goes well the grey outside of the fuselage should now be gone.

Hope that helps!

T8KE0FF

Quote from: Brockster on September 27, 2010, 07:50:24 AM
There are a few ways to do this, but the first that comes to mind is this:

2. Select the "Magic Wand" tool and click on the outside of the fuselage. The whole outside of the fuselage should now hopefully be selected. If that doesn't work then you can change the tolerance to 1 or something small.
3. Now, click on the "Shape 1" layer (the one with the grey box).
4. Rasterize the "Shape 1" layer by going to Layer -> Rasterize -> Shape (or whatever option it gives you; you can also select layer).
5. Now that your Shape layer is rasterized, hit delete. If all goes well the grey outside of the fuselage should now be gone.

Hope that helps!

It's all going good, until the Rasterize part. I've looked all over, but there is definitely no option for this?

Thanks!

Brockster

Can you take a screenshot of what options it gives you when you go to Layer?

EDIT: Basically you just need to flatten it. When you go to the top and go to Layer there should be a Rasterize option. I'm not too familiar with Photoshop Elements as I have CS5 but it should be there.

Dazwalsh

i would (with my very limited knowledge of photoshop...) flatten the image then select the white area around the outside of the plane, copy that and then unflatten the image again, then create a new layer and paste your selected white bit onto that new layer, now when you go back to put the box in it should remian within the lines of the aircraft :)

T8KE0FF

Quote from: Brockster on September 27, 2010, 06:56:36 PM
Can you take a screenshot of what options it gives you when you go to Layer?

EDIT: Basically you just need to flatten it. When you go to the top and go to Layer there should be a Rasterize option. I'm not too familiar with Photoshop Elements as I have CS5 but it should be there.

Sorry for late reply, here is the screenshot. Hope this helps? :)

Brockster

Okay, you can't rasterize something that is already flat. So make sure that you are on the "shape" layer with the grey box and it should give you an option. You basically just need to flatten that layer.

If it still doesn't work or you still can't figure it out then I can try to post some screenshots.

Brockster

Okay, I went ahead and posted some screenshots. This is as easy as I can think of to explain it.

2. Select the "Magic Wand" tool.
3. Click on the outside of the fuselage. The whole outside of the fuselage should now hopefully be selected. If that doesn't work then you can change the tolerance to 1 or something small.

4. Now, click on the "Shape 1" layer (the one with the grey box).
5. Rasterize the "Shape 1" layer by going to Layer -> Rasterize -> Shape (or whatever option it gives you; you can also select layer).

6. Now that your Shape layer is rasterized, hit delete and the part of the grey shape spilling out of the border of the fuselage should be gone.

T8KE0FF

Hmm, still no luck.. There is absolutely not rasterize button what-so-ever!

Oh well! Thanks anyway, I really do appreciate it :)

Terrence Klaverweide

Okay, let's try something else then. I can't post screenshots, cause I don't have Photoshop on the laptop I have at my disposal now.

1. In the layer palette, click on the Shape 1 layer, it should turn blue, or a different colour depending on your settings. Either way, it should be selected.

2. Now, on the bottom of your layer palette, there are a few icons, 7 in total. The most right one being the wastebin icon, the most left one being the chain icon. Click on the third from the left (the rectangle with a little circle in it). This is the mask icon.

3. You will see that your Shape 1 layer, has this particular icon next to it. You added a mask to the Shape 1.

4. HOLD SHIFT, and click on the PAINT HERE layer in the layer palette. You have now selected everything within the plane. On the Canvas this shows as a walking ant line.

5. Press Shift and hold, press CTRL and hold, and press I. You have now Inverted your selection, meaning your selection is now OUTSIDE the plane.

6. Remember that mask that we made in 2.? Click on it, again in the layer palette.

7. Press B (for Brush)

8. Press D (for Default Colours)

9. Press X multiple times, and see what happens, and where it happens. You will see the fore- and background colour change. The black colour should be on top of the white colour.

10. Press 0 (for 100% opacity)

11. Press Shift-0 just to be sure (won't explain why)

12. Press ]. You will see your brush size get bigger and bigger. When it is a suitable size (I don't have the PSD, so I don't know the dimensions), START brushing on the canvas. Don't worry about brushing inside the plane, in Step 5, we made sure only the outside of the plane is selected.

With the black brush, you are now MASKING everything outside of the plane, keep brushing until you are content.

That's it.

T8KE0FF

No, still no luck!
This is really starting to annoy me now :laugh:

ucfknightryan

Ok, I have no knowledge of photoshop, so maybe this is a stupid question, but why can't you just select the area outside of the plane by using the magic wand on the Paint Here layer, and then switch to the layer with the gray box and delete everything in the selection?  Is there something special/weird about that layer that prevents it?

Nemjee

Select the green colour by Apple buttom and left click on the mouse when holding the cursor over the layer. it should select the green colour!
then press on the grey box by the mouse :) and press delete!
get on teamviewer and i'll help :)

Brockster

Quote from: ucfknightryan on October 05, 2010, 06:05:14 PM
Ok, I have no knowledge of photoshop, so maybe this is a stupid question, but why can't you just select the area outside of the plane by using the magic wand on the Paint Here layer, and then switch to the layer with the gray box and delete everything in the selection?  Is there something special/weird about that layer that prevents it?

That's what has been suggested, but the grey box he supplies in the first picture cannot be modified until it has been flattened/rasterized.

I use Creative Suite 5, thus I am not familiar with Photoshop Elements. However, I am aware that Elements lacks some features that are programmed into the "regular" photoshop so rasterization may not be included.

ucfknightryan

Quote from: Brockster on October 05, 2010, 08:46:32 PM
That's what has been suggested, but the grey box he supplies in the first picture cannot be modified until it has been flattened/rasterized.

I use Creative Suite 5, thus I am not familiar with Photoshop Elements. However, I am aware that Elements lacks some features that are programmed into the "regular" photoshop so rasterization may not be included.

In that case, why not just make a new layer the size of the box, select the whole layer, fill with gray, and then do the above magic wand/delete process? 

And what is that layer then that you can't edit it?  Like I said, never used Photoshop in any of its incarnations, and I'm having trouble coming up with any equivalent from any program I have used that you couldn't just delete part of.

Brockster

Quote from: ucfknightryan on October 05, 2010, 10:24:31 PM
And what is that layer then that you can't edit it?  Like I said, never used Photoshop in any of its incarnations, and I'm having trouble coming up with any equivalent from any program I have used that you couldn't just delete part of.

It's a shape layer so until it is flattened it cannot be edited in that way directly. If you try to delete it before it has been flattened the whole thing will disappear.

Quote from: ucfknightryan on October 05, 2010, 10:24:31 PM
In that case, why not just make a new layer the size of the box, select the whole layer, fill with gray, and then do the above magic wand/delete process? 

I think what you are suggesting is to: go to the PAINT HERE layer, create a rectangular marquee with the Rectangular Marquee Tool over whatever portion of the fuselage you want, and fill it in with the Paint Bucket Tool. That would also work. :)

ucfknightryan

Quote from: Brockster on October 06, 2010, 02:41:37 AM
It's a shape layer so until it is flattened it cannot be edited in that way directly. If you try to delete it before it has been flattened the whole thing will disappear.

Is a shape layer a vector based object of some kind, and that's why you can't delete part of it without first transforming it into a raster based object?

Quote from: Brockster on October 06, 2010, 02:41:37 AM
I think what you are suggesting is to: go to the PAINT HERE layer, create a rectangular marquee with the Rectangular Marquee Tool over whatever portion of the fuselage you want, and fill it in with the Paint Bucket Tool. That would also work. :)

Heh, I'd actually forgotten the actual names for those tools.  :laugh:  I haven't given step by step directions on how to do this kind of stuff very often, and apparently am not very good at it yet.  :) That's kind of what I was suggesting, but wouldn't that wind up with gray outside the fuselage, since the fuselage isn't rectangular?  Let me try again with the proper tool names and a small simplification that just occurred to me when I read your post.  :)

Go to the PAINT HERE layer, and use the rectangular marquee tool to select the portion of the fuselage you want to paint.  Then use the magic wand tool to subtract the area outside the fuselage from the selection.  Finally use the paint bucket tool to fill the selection with the color you want (In this case gray).

Hopefully that provides another way that T8KE0FF can do what he is attempting since no one can figure out how to rasterize that layer in Photoshop elements

Ah, the joy of trying to figure out how to do things in the light version of software.  I'd bet the option is there somewhere, and Adobe in their infinate wisdom just moved and renamed it to make using elements for anything too sophisticated a pain.  I've had that problem once or twice with the LT version of AutoCad.

Brockster

Quote from: ucfknightryan on October 06, 2010, 06:13:52 AM
Is a shape layer a vector based object of some kind, and that's why you can't delete part of it without first transforming it into a raster based object?

Exactly! :) I probably wasn't explaining it very well, that's what I meant to say.

Quote from: ucfknightryan on October 06, 2010, 06:13:52 AM
Ah, the joy of trying to figure out how to do things in the light version of software.  I'd bet the option is there somewhere, and Adobe in their infinate wisdom just moved and renamed it to make using elements for anything too sophisticated a pain.  I've had that problem once or twice with the LT version of AutoCad.

I would have to think so to. From what I understand Photoshop Elements is supposed to be more photo modification oriented, so I guess the need to "create" isn't as necessary. Still puzzles me why they wouldn't include said feature though.  ???