Vote: Next game world

Started by Sami, September 24, 2010, 09:13:57 AM

Sami

Some of the current game worlds are coming to an end soon, and another world will be set up. Do note though that couple game worlds have still 1,5 months or more left to go and have many opportunities for new airlines, so don't be afraid to dive in.

Before another new world is started a quick poll about user preferences about the world theme/era has been now opened.

The next game world will be still of the current v.1.2 game engine. The coding of the next larger update has not started yet as all time has been devoted to refining the current features by adding new enhancements to them and fixing the occasional bugs. A lot of time has also been used in day-to-day management of AWS and also other web projects of admin (and of course his real work/life...). There are still a few remaining items in v.1.2 development tasks before the next version coding will start. The next 1.3 version would feature various smaller updates and changes and possible completely new features have not been yet "locked in".

Back to this poll however ... Please cast your vote on the preferred game world start decade. If you have any other comments please post them to this topic. Voting is open for about a week.

swiftus27

Sadly, I think I need to take a quick break from the sim.

I've been playing for 2 years straight.   

I'd say to wait until 1.3.  If commonality is fixed in it, I will be back right away.

peterhook

I'm dying to start a new game in the 80s... wanna have all those classic birds like DC-10, L-1011 and 747 in my fleet!! And why not be the launch customer for MD-11... hehehe

I'm hoping to see codesharing in future worlds, that'll be nice and will turn out to be very difficult for late start-ups ;)

filipebravo

Quote from: swiftus27 on September 24, 2010, 11:51:37 AM
I'd say to wait until 1.3.  If commonality is fixed in it, I will be back right away.

I agree with this. I'd rather wait for 1.3 and see commonality issue fixed before jumping into a new game world. And I would really welcome a new feature allowing us to follow up other game worlds without joining them. :)

Sypher85

In my opinion there are few worlds available, I'd rather have more choice and a maximum of 300 players to the world...

Alien

I would love to see a game starting in the 50ies..

JumboShrimp

I voted for 2000s.  The main reason are the slots.  They are more plentiful in this era.  Lack of slots can make earlier starting worlds very frustrating.  Also, ATB will be the first one to finish, and I guess players who prefer this era would prefer that to be the next game world to start

I hope some tweaks to the bases (the cost overhead calculation formula, hopefully removal of some of the limitations) will make it to the next game world.

Sami

Once more to clarify, all changes that affect the core systems will be only built to next version. As altering some core costs is not possible when there are game worlds running. (or well, it is possible but it would then mess the incomes/costs of airlines in the running worlds thus making no sense)

JumboShrimp

Quote from: sami on September 24, 2010, 02:03:10 PM
Once more to clarify, all changes that affect the core systems will be only built to next version. As altering some core costs is not possible when there are game worlds running. (or well, it is possible but it would then mess the incomes/costs of airlines in the running worlds thus making no sense)

I see.  All the code of game worlds on the same version is shared.  Makes sense that formulas for costs (hardcoded) would not be something that can be changed.

But maybe some things could be taken out of the code and placed in set-up tables, such as Top X airports excluded from additional bases, or aircraft limit in bases.  Just an idea.

Similarly, some constants affecting fleet commonality calculation.  That way, the constants could be set for existing worlds under 1.2 to mimick the current formula results, but offer flexibility of what the constants should be in the new game worlds.

rettir

Sami, it might be helpful to some voters if you estimated when version 1.3 will be ready.

DaWhigit

It would be nice if we could have more worlds up and running at the same time, and possibly have their start and end dates staggered so that they aren't all ending at once.

JonnyAngel

Quote from: JumboShrimp on September 24, 2010, 01:43:38 PM
I voted for 2000s.  The main reason are the slots.  They are more plentiful in this era.  Lack of slots can make earlier starting worlds very frustrating.  Also, ATB will be the first one to finish, and I guess players who prefer this era would prefer that to be the next game world to start

I hope some tweaks to the bases (the cost overhead calculation formula, hopefully removal of some of the limitations) will make it to the next game world.

I agree with Jumbo....voting for the 2000s. Barring that, the 1990s. Would rather not wait till v1.3 (give poor Sami a break, that would mean the man would have to go start coding now in order to have a game world ready to run when the others start to fizzle out). Just launch with version 1.2(SP1...lol) which has all the tweaks you've been making thus far. I, for one, am patient enough to wait a bit for version 1.3

RushmoreAir

I don't want to push Sami too hard, so I can wait awhile for V1.3.  But I really want to have another V1.2 game in the meantime.

I voted for the 2000s, but I'd also be OK with the 60s or 70s.  I think that we have had too many games dealing with 2nd and third generation jets.  I want to deal with either the 1st generation jets (hence the 60s or 70s) or the 4th generation jets.  People get too bored in current "modern" games like MT2 and ATB before they have the chance to experiment with 4th gen aircraft like C-series, 787, and A350.

JumboShrimp

Quote from: RushmoreAir on September 24, 2010, 03:48:32 PM
I don't want to push Sami too hard, so I can wait awhile for V1.3.  But I really want to have another V1.2 game in the meantime.

I voted for the 2000s, but I'd also be OK with the 60s or 70s.  I think that we have had too many games dealing with 2nd and third generation jets.  I want to deal with either the 1st generation jets (hence the 60s or 70s) or the 4th generation jets.  People get too bored in current "modern" games like MT2 and ATB before they have the chance to experiment with 4th gen aircraft like C-series, 787, and A350.

Maybe something like 2000 - 2024 would work for that.  It would give airlines enough time to make the fleet changes to C-series, 787 and A350 worthwhile.  In current ATB, not too many players attempted to do that because of 2020 end of game world, and not enough time to transition their fleets...

Miltra

I voted for 1960, but actually I'd rather prefer a start date of 1945!
And I'd like to have a game that runs for 50 years or so. This means you really would have to replace the whole fleet, and that would be quite a challenge.
Alternatively, I would opt for 2010 - 2050 or something like that.

Dave4468

I would love a 1945 - 2010 game, covering pretty much all of the history of commercial aviation and airlines as we have them in this game. Lots of big things to deal with, like someone has said fleets would need to be replaced three, maybe four times.

JumboShrimp

Quote from: Dave4468 on September 24, 2010, 04:53:41 PM
I would love a 1945 - 2010 game, covering pretty much all of the history of commercial aviation and airlines as we have them in this game. Lots of big things to deal with, like someone has said fleets would need to be replaced three, maybe four times.

That would be an interesting game, but I would wait for a long running game to start on version 1.3.

Sami

Yes, long running worlds suffer from the fact that I must do heavy updates for new features once in a while and at the moment I don't see it YET worthwile to make such a long scenario as I am not happy with long term playability. But dunno if I ever will be. :P

(and 1950 is the first possible start year btw.)

jest

Quote from: sami on September 24, 2010, 06:10:42 PM
Yes, long running worlds suffer from the fact that I must do heavy updates for new features once in a while and at the moment I don't see it YET worthwile to make such a long scenario as I am not happy with long term playability. But dunno if I ever will be. :P

(and 1950 is the first possible start year btw.)

Sami, whatever you do, please no more radical updates during games that will affect the strategy you pursued so far.

fjls

codesharing would be agreat idea!!! :D