Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] Bases - this really sucks  (Read 422 times)

flygresor

• Former member
[-] Bases - this really sucks
« on: August 29, 2010, 12:40:34 PM »
I used to play in the old Air Travel Boom game some months ago. I noticed that some players entered the game quite late and managed to build up quite big airlines. So when the new Air Travel Boom game was launched some months ago I waited the game to reach about 50% and joined. I opened my base in a medium sized US city. The biggest difference from the old game is that it's not possible to have W-routes, instead you can open several bases. I thought that this will be about the same but after some "months" of playing I noticed thats it's impossible to build up a big airline from a "small" city.

After about 8-10 months all routes to and from my medium sized city was scheduled. And I couldn't create W routes, and I couldn't open a new base, the airline must be 18 months. So I just had to wait.

After 18 months I finally tried to open a new base and get a message that I'm not allowed to open a base in one of the 20 biggest cites in north America. WTF? So I decided to grow in medium sized cities. I opened a new base, bought planes, scheduled almost all possible routes and tried to open another medium sized base. NO! You have to wait 12 months again! WTF? So here I'm sitting with unscheduled planes and cannot grow. I cannot open W routes, I cannot launch new bases.

And if I wait 12 months I can open another base in a medium sized city, but newer in a big city. That makes routes like ORD-LAX, JFK-MSP, LAS-DTW, JFK-LAX, and so on totally impossible for me to fly.

This couldn't be meant to be. Why should an airline that open it's first base in BOS, never ever be aloud to fly JFK-LAX?

One thing that must be changed is that instead of forbidding opening second base in top 20 cities, it should be that your only aloud to have ONE or TWO bases in top 20 cities. Some changes has also to be made in how long you have to wait before starting a new base. When you are not allowed to open in top 20, the smaller cities are just to small to wait 12 months.

Right now I cannot play the game, not because of planes, competitors or money. I cannot play it because of stupid game rules. Or is this game just for players starting in top 20 cities?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 09:47:30 AM by sami »

Offline ekaneti

• Members
Re: Bases - this really sucks
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 01:53:03 PM »
the game would be harder to play if you could open bases in the top 20 largest airports. Most of he top 20 airports run out of slots anyway making opening up a base there kid of pointless

flygresor

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 02:12:44 PM »
Most of he top 20 airports run out of slots anyway making opening up a base there kid of pointless

That's not an argument and actually there are top20 cities with lots of slots available.

Read my post again, this is not a discussion about slots, if you start the game outside top 20, you will never ever during the whole game have access to the big cities. Actually there are routes from top20 cities with both slots and demand and I can't fly them, no matter how hard I work during 30 years. Thats absolutely not realistic, and thats absolutely not fair.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 02:16:32 PM by flygresor »

samomuransky

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 02:29:03 PM »
Sami previously told that W routes will be later allowed but only within your country or economy area (European Union), so maybe that would be solution for you.

Online schro

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
That's not an argument and actually there are top20 cities with lots of slots available.

Read my post again, this is not a discussion about slots, if you start the game outside top 20, you will never ever during the whole game have access to the big cities. Actually there are routes from top20 cities with both slots and demand and I can't fly them, no matter how hard I work during 30 years. Thats absolutely not realistic, and thats absolutely not fair.

I started about halfway through ATB in a big city (ORD).  I've found its actually easier for me because I'm protected against people opening bases to compete with me - the only competition I have are other airlines that are HQ'ed there (and of course, ones that fly there from their base). 

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 03:56:07 PM »
You are far from the first person to complain about the "fortressing" that this stupid rule creates.  Sami has said that both the "W" routes and the ability to base in the Top 20 airports will likely return in the future.  This was just the first pass at making the changes.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 07:17:37 AM »

One thing that must be changed is that instead of forbidding opening second base in top 20 cities, it should be that your only aloud to have ONE or TWO bases in top 20 cities. Some changes has also to be made in how long you have to wait before starting a new base. When you are not allowed to open in top 20, the smaller cities are just to small to wait 12 months.

Right now I cannot play the game, not because of planes, competitors or money. I cannot play it because of stupid game rules. Or is this game just for players starting in top 20 cities?

As is, ability to open 2nd base in top 20 city (after opeining 1st in a smaller city) would not help you at all, since you would only be able to fly 70 aircraft from there, as it is your 2nd hub.  Well, it is better than nothing, but the benefits you would be able to reap are small - unless the limits are removed alltogether or adjusted.

v 1.2 is the first version with multiple bases.  I am sure a lot of work went into making it happen.  It is fine from the user interface point of view, but from the playability point of view, some tweaks are definitely needed.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.