Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] Intelligent anti-monopoly system  (Read 387 times)

hjp766

• Former member
[-] Intelligent anti-monopoly system
« on: August 25, 2010, 08:17:53 PM »
Apologies if this has been discussed before, but it is arising as a direct result of what I am now finding in JA2 after donkeys years of running the same routes.

Firstly do not get me wrong, I agree entirely with the anti-trust principle but in its current from I find it far too crude.

Would it be possible to have the game be intelligent in its judgement of what is/ is not true market flooding.

In essence this is to say that one flight a day on the smallest available aircraft with seats that is operated by an airline would not, in reality, be viewed as monopoly, more as an appreciated vital link.

e.g. 1300 mile route, 25-30 daily demand. On a leased DC9 this will turn a decent profit and is beyond the range of turboprops. However, the game flags it as monopolising and asks for it to close down as it sees a 70-90 seat DC9 depending on config.

There is no way in reality that if an airline was willing to operate the route and be able to turn a profit and stay in business no government/airport in their right mind would make them close the link purely because the aircraft was too big. If its the only aircraft the operator willing to run the route has that can do the job it will be allowed to be used - regardless of the load factor.

In essence the first aircraft of an operator should not be viewed as monopolising the route as long as it is not ridiculous i.e. c.40% + load factor would be reasonable. I use this as that is the initial load factors we saw last summer when eJ took on AF when Lyon started as a base.

Cheers,

HJ
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 07:23:50 PM by sami »

Offline T8KE0FF

• Members
Re: Intelligent anti-monopoly system
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 08:40:18 PM »
Didn't read the whole thing, but I know what you mean.

I haven't had any warnings myself of it, however the system does seem to have its flaws.

+1

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 08:47:20 PM »
e.g. 1300 mile route, 25-30 daily demand. On a leased DC9 this will turn a decent profit and is beyond the range of turboprops. However, the game flags it as monopolising and asks for it to close down as it sees a 70-90 seat DC9 depending on config.

Well, shortly, that is already against the rules since while nobody else may fly it just now, your overcapacity will prevent others from even considering that route (since you have tripled the demand there).

There are lots of these long routes with small demand and I'd suggest to focus elsewhere until the connection feature could be brought in at some day. As those routes are money-losers when considering all the costs.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 08:53:48 PM »
Inherently, Sami, there should be NO way that this simulation should turn a profit for anyone if they are filling one out of three seats.

There is no way any airline in real life or not should even consider this without a heavy government subsidy.

hjp766

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 08:56:53 PM »
This is the catch then. if you reconfigure the DC9-15 with decent long range seats as befits a 6 odd hour flight, you bring the capacity down to 50 odd seats, the load factor goes to 90%, less ZFM (as less seats, and one less CC as seats are reduced to 50 or less and you only carry 1 cabin crew per 50 seats, hence why easy are experimenting with blocking 6 seats off in their 319s to get down to 150 seats and downsize on cabin crew) so less TOFuel so cheaper running costs. Just a pain in needing two distinct fleet elements.

HJ

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 09:00:08 PM »
Cabin crew is dictated by the number of exits, I thought...

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 09:02:54 PM »

That and seats too. I believe it would be possible operate A319 with 2 in cabin if there are less than 100 seats, since there are only 2 exit-pairs there. Nobody of course does this since it can seat ~120 .. but in theory. But then on the other hand A321 does require always 4 ca's due to door config. etc. So it's a bit complicated.

hjp766

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 09:12:23 PM »
That and seats too. I believe it would be possible operate A319 with 2 in cabin if there are less than 100 seats, since there are only 2 exit-pairs there. Nobody of course does this since it can seat ~120 .. but in theory. But then on the other hand A321 does require always 4 ca's due to door config. etc. So it's a bit complicated.

With 4 CC the 321 is down to 200 seats, min 5 crew for 220, the 4cc must be 1 per set of doors. you may only operate below 5 on a 220 seat 321 to get home and then seats must be reduced to 200.

Believe me the ops manual is a nightmare and the FOs job is to read the darn thing... It gets better as well in Antalya late at night which is my double whammy bonus ball at about 2am Turkish time tomorrow.

hjp766

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 09:14:41 PM »

Seats is determined by exits: you must be able to evacuate with 50% doors inop inside the prescribed time. 1 cabin crew must then be provided per 50 seats with the exception that 0-29ish is 1, 29-100=2 101-150=3 and so on.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
Oh yes, didn't think that some airlines cram more than 200pax to A321 ;)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.