New Features: information overload

Started by Saul Goodman, August 24, 2010, 02:15:07 PM

Saul Goodman

I appreciate this game being continually refined.
However, there are 2 new features that just got added that bug me which are Company brand and Airline Credit rating.  :-\

This is information should remain private in my view.  Making this public will make a weak airline more vulnerable to attack from the major carriers that have a better reputation and credit rating.  When I go after an airline, theres most of time an element of doubt which keeps me on my guard because I am not sure of their reputation or creidt rating.  I would only guess from the information I have such as value etc...
Now theres no guessing, its all out in the open, what else is left to be learned in the game?  Its a bit like exposing all the tricks of all the poker players at a game, so whats the point of playing. 

Instead I would appreciate more feature that will complement the actual such as adding ABCBA routes to the actual base system, split the US in geographical areas when searcing for an airport (ie. Florida, Hawaii, Central States, Eastern States etc..., searching among 456 airports can be teadious.  :P )

[ATA] Sunbao

I totally agree those new figures everyone now can see are not something people shall see.
Now the big carrieres can sit down and study wich opponents they shall attack now because they are weakest.

Kontio

Attacking a weaker airline is against the rules but if someone wanted to do that before it wasn't that difficult. I think credit ratings are public information but company image maybe shouldn't be.

Curse

flydreamer

Brockster

Quote from: Kontio on August 24, 2010, 03:32:01 PM
Attacking a weaker airline is against the rules but if someone wanted to do that before it wasn't that difficult. I think credit ratings are public information but company image maybe shouldn't be.

+1

Talentz

Interesting info...

Now I wait to get the anti-competition complaint that reads: "Airline xyz has a lower CI then me... how come Im losing money?!!"

I would rather see operating profit margin (weekly and monthly). I think that stat serves the public better then showing CI.

Quote from: Kontio on August 24, 2010, 03:32:01 PM

What... I would never...

Talentz

Sami

Credit rating is a public piece of information. Company image is mainly included since it will be part of the scoring system too but otherwise it's not that necessary as that's not a "realistic" value in that sense since no corporation brand can be measured with a single number.. But I cannot see it being used in a wrong way.

Saul Goodman

all right then
just wanted to share what I thought but I see most of you likes the idea.  Thats fine.  :)

Curse

Quote from: sami on August 24, 2010, 05:42:39 PM
But I cannot see it being used in a wrong way.

For example: If I see my competitor has CI 88 and I have 85, I know I must spend more money to get to CI 90 to get more market share.

Minto Typhoon

Company image reports are readily available through market research, and airlines buy these types of reports all the time.

I think this data, alongside punctuality, etc is excellent. 

Curse

In real life airlines can react to such marketing things in many different ways. In AWS not. Also marketing research is always no accurate thing. In AWS it is a very accurate number that makes people decide which airline they prefer.

JonesyUK

I'd rather that these stats weren't public personally

Kazari

samomuransky

Quote from: Curse on August 24, 2010, 09:14:18 PM
For example: If I see my competitor has CI 88 and I have 85, I know I must spend more money to get to CI 90 to get more market share.

And what's wrong about it?

Curse

Makes the game even easier as it already is.

samomuransky

Quote from: Curse on August 25, 2010, 08:55:51 AM
Makes the game even easier as it already is.

If it's too easy for you, then just don't look there ;)

mtnlion

I like these new features!
I don't see any problems on other airlines being able to see my CI. I always aim to 90+ CI and I really couldn't care less if someone is satisfied to CI of 60. Besides we have already been able to see other airlines' avg. LFs and other stats which indicate the overall skills of other players/airline managers.

JonesyUK

Quote from: mtnlion on August 25, 2010, 02:06:45 PM
I like these new features!
I don't see any problems on other airlines being able to see my CI. I always aim to 90+ CI and I really couldn't care less if someone is satisfied to CI of 60. Besides we have already been able to see other airlines' avg. LFs and other stats which indicate the overall skills of other players/airline managers.

The problem is, CI has the largest effect on passengers other than flight time and frequency. It takes some of the skill out of the game to know what your competitors settings are  :-\

minerva

Quote from: JonesyUK on August 25, 2010, 04:51:52 PM
The problem is, CI has the largest effect on passengers other than flight time and frequency. It takes some of the skill out of the game to know what your competitors settings are  :-\

I can see the point and think that there is the potential for abuse, but I don't agree that potential is reason to hide CI.  Yes, now there is no guessing about your competitors' CI, but that doesn't diminish the skill necessary to do well in the game.  You still have to somehow get your own CI high enough to compete.  That hasn't changed at all.  I've always assumed my competitors were aiming for the highest CI they could get, as quickly as possible, and so did I.  I'm not going to stop doing that now because I know one of my competitors has a lower (or higher) CI than I presumed they did.  Unless your goal is deliberately and systematically targeting weaker airlines than yourself (which we know is against the rules), this new feature shouldn't change your game strategies at all.  I like it.