Check your name first.

Started by Maarten Otto, August 09, 2010, 07:45:29 AM

Maarten Otto

To stay out of trouble by violating game rules, one must be sure the name of his/her airline hasn't been used in reality as well.

There is an easy way to check if your name is valid for the game or not:

Just visit http://www.theairdb.com/sub/Airlines.html
Press Cmd+F or Ctrl+F and type the name of your airline in the search box.
Press search.
If nothing shows up, you are cleared to use the name you came up with.
If the name does show up, it means a real world airliner is already using that particular name, and you ate not allowed to use it in AWS.

Please note that eazyJets is not the same as easyJet... but as the name is to close to the real world airline, it is forbidden to use it.

Nonkan

Excellent homepage!

This post should be copy/pasted in the "start new airline"-page, even though I myself never had any problems understanding the game rules.

And btw, how hard can it be to come up with an own uniqe name?

GDK

Quote from: Nonkan on August 09, 2010, 09:15:15 AM
And btw, how hard can it be to come up with an own uniqe name?

Sometimes it is quiet hard. I was trying some before starting my airline in Jet Age but too bad all of them are not available. I wanted to base in Asia and want something with 'ASIA' in my company name. So I chosen 'Asiana'. Simple but nice name. But later on only I know that there is 1 Asiana based at South Korea in real.

raptorva

I usually just google names that I have for my airline to see if any airline (be it past, present or proposed) in real world uses it and if so, I ditch that idea and look for a new one.

Tiberius

Well good news if you can't think of one.  Ctrl+f Trans World Airlines, Pietmont, Western, and Braniff are all available! Just kidding!