Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: What's the technology behind this site?  (Read 1274 times)

MattDell

• Former member
What's the technology behind this site?
« on: August 03, 2010, 01:13:22 AM »
Sami, I'm not sure if you'd be interested in telling us or not, but it would be interesting to know what you're using to develop this site.  As a fellow web developer at the junior/mid level, it would be interesting to know what choices you've made.

Specifically, I'm wondering...
It appears to be MVC-based.  Are you using Ruby on Rails?  CakePHP?  Other?
What kind of hardware (servers, etc.) do you need to run a site like this?  Is it outsourced or do you manage it yourself?

And anything else you're willing to share would be nice.  8)

Cheers,
-Matt

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: What's the technology behind this site?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 11:02:32 AM »
The interface, as well as this forum, runs on php/mysql solution.

The site core engine that shows all the layouts and pages is a fully custom-built system that is used also on other sites that I manage or have produced (about 10 of them). It's sort of lightweight CMS that only has the features that these sites really need. It is also fully integrated into SMF forum software as you see with the streamlined login and profile management etc. Game layouts and stuff also go via this website-core naturally.. (and then there are various automated background processes to do the magic and calculations for AWS..)

Hardware - we have 3 own dedicated servers, own/owned hardware that is hosted by a major server hotel/hosting company in Helsinki. AWS utilizes one server alone while the other two are used for other projects/sites, backups, emails etc. The servers are prettymuch standard PC hardware packed in rack cases, as I haven't seen it possible/necessary to invest in "real" servers made by HP or similar (getting the same performance with selfbuilt system, nearly at least, but with a lower price tag). Latest machine upgrade was made this spring, can't remember the specs right now, i7 I quess.. All use Linux opr.systems.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 11:07:45 AM by sami »

Offline meiru

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 08:24:37 PM »
and the calculated data of the daily flights are calculated with those background processes? ... java? ... and mysql? ... just guessing...  ;)

Frogiton

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 01:29:24 PM »
How often do you update stuff on the server/computer (like the RAM and processor)?

WesternU

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 12:06:12 AM »
If AWS is in a hosted environment, any thought on the use of VM partitions located on your providers big iron?  Maybe have a DAP in a remote location (US) to facilitate better connectivity overseas.

Online JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 07:55:44 AM »
If AWS is in a hosted environment, any thought on the use of VM partitions located on your providers big iron?  Maybe have a DAP in a remote location (US) to facilitate better connectivity overseas.

It seems like too much new complexity for limited gain...

There would likely have to be mirror copies of databases in remote locations to offer any kind of improved latency for overseas customers...

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 10:18:41 AM »
That has been thought and it's not easy since like Jumbo said the database would need to be replicated too and that makes it nearly impossible as players can make "live" changes to it (buy planes for example).

jest

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 12:23:48 PM »
That has been thought and it's not easy since like Jumbo said the database would need to be replicated too and that makes it nearly impossible as players can make "live" changes to it (buy planes for example).

As far as access from Europe is concerned, stellar is the word to use. And i will have the opportunity to test it from North America in a few weeks so i'll post about the differences.

WesternU

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 02:51:33 PM »
I wouldn't say the gains would be limited, since latency can and has been an issue.  Just this morning, the delay was quite long, unfortunately, I wasn't capturing my session, so I couldn't give you the packet stats, but performance issues consistently pop up (which are probably not application related, but network focused).

Now, without knowing the architecture of the application, everything I say is just a guest (and I could be waaaaay off), but if the engines are modular in nature and can run on separate partitions, there may not be a need to mirror the database.  You could have the db "server" run on its own VM partition/server, which would allow you to tailor the sizing to accommodate the needed load and then run application/DAP "servers" in remote locations to facilitate local processing and data collection/access.  Also, this would work out best if your ISP had data centers worldwide that are already solidly linked together and would allow for centralized management (and billing).  You could even throw in a mirrored db server later for fail-over purposes.

Anyway, I strayed away from Matt's original question, so maybe this is something for the future when AWS gets it's 1,000,000,000th customer.  ;D

Also, don't get me wrong, you guys are doing an amazing job and I commend you for what you have done.  I am just thinking out loud about how to improve what is already a good user experience.  Thanks for listening.

Online JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 04:03:05 PM »
What other big online companies (like Travian) do is they have servers located in different countries, and run games just (or mainly) for those countries.  So travian.us would be mainly for US the and rest of North America nearby, .cn for China, a bunch of European domains etc. 
That way, people playing in their own area will have a better latency.  Another way of saying this is that even a huge company like Travian runs their games from single database server, not replicating changes across multiple database servers.

So if AWS does indeed reach its 1,000,000th customer, and wants to improve latency for US customers, easiest way to do this would be to do, as you suggest, rent some equipment in the US server room, but run entire game from there, targetting mainly US and Canadian players.

MattDell

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 11:46:43 PM »
Or, you could just use a service like Akamai.

But AWS is definitely not at that point.  I live literally on the other side of the world from Helsinki and I haven't ever had a problem with AWS being slow.  Pinging the server takes 234ms from Honolulu.

-Matt

jest

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 01:19:52 AM »
Or, you could just use a service like Akamai.

But AWS is definitely not at that point.  I live literally on the other side of the world from Helsinki and I haven't ever had a problem with AWS being slow.  Pinging the server takes 234ms from Honolulu.

-Matt

It has to do with your provider also. I get 79 ms from Lisbon and 17 hops. This is from home but at the office i have another provider. I will test it tomorrow and post.

WesternU

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 08:10:42 PM »
Nice call Matt!

Yeah, I would also say my provider is Norway-challenged. :)

I ran some tests this morning (had some free time and AWS-related tasks were done) and for some reason, my ISP gets lower marks going to Norway than other places in Europe

Norway: Delay: 222ms to 470ms, Jitter: 8ms to 15ms, no packet loss, MOS scores of 4.04 to 4.15 and download speeds of 4.56 to 4.64 Mbps.
Rest of Europe (London, Paris, Lisbon, Frankfurt): Delay: 212ms to 366ms, Jitter: 2ms, no packet loss, MOS scores of 4.1 to 4.33 and dl speeds of 6 to 6.7 Mbps (except for Lis @ 2.68(?))

I guess it is time to find a more AWS-friendly ISP.  ;D :laugh:

Of course locally I am spoiled, hence why I am rooting for a local DAP someday. :laugh:
LA/SF: Delay: 22ms to 48ms, Jitter: 2ms to 4ms, no packet loss, MOS scores of 4.38+ and dl speeds of 14.2 to 30.73 Mbps ( :o)
NY: Delay: 98ms to 107ms, Jitter: 4ms to 6ms, no packet loss, MOS scores of 4.35+ and dl speeds of 13.02Mbps+

Enjoy the day and now back to work.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.