Alliance Challenge - information and subscription

Started by Sami, August 02, 2010, 02:26:55 PM

d2031k

As I understood the original premise, the idea of this world was ensure direct competition between the largest airlines.  This would suggest that 2 continents would be better.  Despite EC and NAC being in v1.11, they both had around 150 players and so 2 continents would allow players to have their hubs as well as it being competitive.

Saying this and with the world being 'aggressive,' the tactics probably employed could lead to very few active airlines being in the world very quickly.  Perhaps Asia could be opened up later in to allow almost a second round for players that get knocked out or bored etc.  This could even be extended to the other continents in the latest stages?

Sami

After reading comments I am in favor of the original setup, EU & NA.

For the rules. Standard rules will apply. For the 'attack' chapter, this still means that an alliance is not allowed to coordinate together to force some airline out of the routes or airports - even if this is dubbed alliance challenge. If you think for it a while I believe it's easy to understand.

T8KE0FF

Sounds good to me...

When will the alliance forums be opened up? Do you mean 2000hrs today? :)

LostInBKK

Quote from: sami on August 15, 2010, 05:54:36 PM
After reading comments I am in favor of the original setup, EU & NA.

For the rules. Standard rules will apply. For the 'attack' chapter, this still means that an alliance is not allowed to coordinate together to force some airline out of the routes or airports - even if this is dubbed alliance challenge. If you think for it a while I believe it's easy to understand.

Can I have an example of what you mean Sami?

Cheers
Lost

[ATA] Sunbao

Quote from: NorgeFly on August 15, 2010, 12:48:33 PM
Perhaps the inclusion of Asia would be a good idea as it would allow airlines to fly both east and west from their hub, rather than being totally concentrated on trans-Atlantic routes. But, maybe airports in Asia could only be available as destinations and not as hubs, forcing everyone to base in Europe and North America as originally planned.

The problem with only including Europe and North America is that airports on the west coast of the US for example  will only be able to fly routes eastbound and airlines in Europe will be forced fly west bound. Including Asia would allow airlines in the game to have a more balanced network that isn't focused too heavily on trans-Atlantic which will likely become a blood bath.

Souds like a very good idea.

Curse

Some people told me it would be unfair to set up an all prop airline out of Heathrow.

But now I'm very sad... everybody does  :'(

However, I think two continents will make the game too easy and imbalanced... but most people like it easy, so it must be ok for me.  :-\

LostInBKK

Quote from: Curse on August 15, 2010, 06:28:53 PM
Some people told me it would be unfair to set up an all prop airline out of Heathrow.

But now I'm very sad... everybody does  :'(

However, I think two continents will make the game too easy and imbalanced... but most people like it easy, so it must be ok for me.  :-\

Do what you have to win.

Cheers

Lost

Sami

Alliance Challenge forums are now open.

* All members who have signed up have been assigned into their alliance membergroups for this starting game world.

* The private forums for the alliances have been opened. Use these forums to pre-plan your base airports and such things.

* Game world will open on Thursday 19th Aug, at approx. 10.00 UTC. A standard 24h turn will be held (remember also that you don't have to be online at that starting hour as the first turn is 24hrs and used a/c market is refreshed on regular intervals...).

(* Please check that you have been assigned into the correct alliance and you actually see the forum. If you do not see the forum now, you will not be able to see the game world either so make sure you report any problems!)

Curse

What starting and ending date the scenario will have?

Sorry if this is posted somewhere, haven't found it right now.

PS: In the starting post is "planned" 1996-2010. Is this fix?

powi

Proposal for the scoring system

My idea is to give non-weighted points for each easily collectable and reliable statistic available. Scoring could be 8-6-5-4-3-2-1. Examples are total airline value, available psk and transported pax.

Additional scores or penalties would be of things that need to be hand collected. Alliances could report these by themselves and other alliances could check their validity. Examples are -1 for each airline NOT holding biggest market share at the HQ, -1 for each airline not flying at least 20 aicraft with positive cash or company value at the end of the game.

Winner is the alliance with the most points.

I've no access to a game at the moment so I'm not sure which statistics are readily available. This was just to introduce the principle.

LostInBKK

Quote from: Powi on August 16, 2010, 05:45:53 AM
Proposal for the scoring system

My idea is to give non-weighted points for each easily collectable and reliable statistic available. Scoring could be 8-6-5-4-3-2-1. Examples are total airline value, available psk and transported pax.

Additional scores or penalties would be of things that need to be hand collected. Alliances could report these by themselves and other alliances could check their validity. Examples are -1 for each airline NOT holding biggest market share at the HQ, -1 for each airline not flying at least 20 aicraft with positive cash or company value at the end of the game.

Winner is the alliance with the most points.

I've no access to a game at the moment so I'm not sure which statistics are readily available. This was just to introduce the principle.

As this the first game why cant we have something very simple like number of passengers flown. I have no access to the game at all so I have no clue what stats are available. But it would be nice to have something simple that we can all track. Giving out -1 for the base airport I think is rather negative.

Just my thoughts.

Lost

Curse

Because pax flown is not the best choice. A long-haul airline will ever transport less pax than a domestic airline, but the first one could be more profitable.

LostInBKK

Quote from: Curse on August 16, 2010, 09:05:20 AM
Because pax flown is not the best choice. A long-haul airline will ever transport less pax than a domestic airline, but the first one could be more profitable.

Just trying to make sure the scoring system is so simple that I can understand it  :-[

Thanks
Lost

d2031k

After some thoughts about the scoring system, I was wondering if it should just relate to bankruptcies.  A system employing a complex formula would see players attempting to exploit certain areas like fleet numbers or routes served etc.  It shouldn't matter who is the most valuble airline because the world is supposed to be about the success of the alliance as a whole.

Something that also addresses the alliances that have less than 25 members could go as follows:

- Each alliance could start on 25 points. 
- Every bankruptcy would knock a point off the alliance's total score. 
- For an alliance of say 20 members, they would start on 25 too but only lose 0.8 points per bankuptcy as their size is 0.8 that of a full alliance. 
- The alliance with the most points at the end wins.

jetxpress

No limits on start-up airports, or which airports you can open a secondary base.
Limiting JFK, LHR, ATL etc. from being secondary hubs could be a disadvantage to players playing outside of those airports mid game.

Talentz

How many times does a player have to BK before being kicked out of the game?  4?

Why not make it based of on the number of bankruptcies per alliance?

Each player has a tally and starts at 1. For every BK the player goes through, that counts as -1.

For alliance's with less then 25 members, a handicap can be factored in. (exp: 20 members = +5)

So every Alliance starts at 25 points. Most points (less BKs) wins.

Talentz

Edit:
Quote from: Daveos on August 16, 2010, 07:38:23 PM

Sorry Daveos, I wasn't paying attention when I typed this out. We basically agree with the general system to use.

d2031k

Quote from: Talentz on August 16, 2010, 08:44:16 PM
Sorry Daveos, I wasn't paying attention when I typed this out. We basically agree with the general system to use.

No worries :)  I think that method definitely seems the most straight forward

LostInBKK

The system for winning has to be decided ASAP as people are picking base airports and we have no clue how to win the game.

COME ON  SAMI pick a system even if its not perfect we need to know days before the game starts

Cheers
Lost

Curse

Maybe it would help if you post here in which player which HQ and which bases wants to use, so we could better think about some scoring system....  :-[

LostInBKK

Quote from: Curse on August 16, 2010, 11:28:03 PM
Maybe it would help if you post here in which player which HQ and which bases wants to use, so we could better think about some scoring system....  :-[

WTF that information should be in your own Alliance thread.

But if an airline wants to be in Cardiff as example how can we say no sorry you need to pick a larger airport If we have no clue how the game can be won.

Cheers
Lost

PS: had a few beers, so time for sleep  8)