Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] Consistent Airport Names  (Read 310 times)

Offline ekaneti

• Members
[-] Consistent Airport Names
« on: August 01, 2010, 03:39:05 PM »
Hello:

I have noticed when airports have names sometime the name appears first and sometimes the city appears first. Like this:

Rick Husband International-Amarillo
Greater Peoria Regional Airport-Peoria
Ronald Reagan National Airport-Washington

Other times the city comes first
Washington-Dulles
Montreal-Trudeau

I think it would be best if the city name ALWAYS appeared first, then the airport name

So then we would have:
Washington-Dulles
Washington-Ronald Reagan National
Peoria-Greater Peoria Regional

This makes it easier when searching for cities on the flight list page for an airport

« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 04:51:26 PM by sami »

Offline Sigma

• Members
Re: Consistent Airport Names
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 07:33:26 PM »
If the name of the city is included in the name of the airport, then there is no city "clarification" on there.

If the name of the airport includes no reference to the city, then the city is listed first for the sake of clarification.

The method already used seems reasonable and consistent to me -- the name of the airport only has the city its in appended to it if its' name gives no clue as to its whereabouts.   But I suppose if the city name was always included first, it'd be easier to know what you were dealing with; albeit often redundant.

Note that some of your examples are incorrect.  It doesn't say "Rick Husband International-Amarillo", it gives the proper name of the airport which is "Rick Husband Amarillo International".  And, since the city name is included in the name and it is searchable, it's not appended to the beginning.  The same goes for what you wrote as "Ronald Reagan National Airport-Washington" -- it's actually listed in AWS by its proper name: "Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport".  As its location is within its name, it doesn't get appended to the beginning.  "O'Hare", "Lambert", "Dulles", "Trudeau", these all require a city name to be put onto the front of them so you have some clue where you're flying to.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 07:40:19 PM by Sigma »

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 08:14:31 PM »
Airport names match pretty much what they are officially called (some "international" etc. suffixes may've been dropped), and that is intended to stay that way.

Offline Jona L.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 03:45:39 AM »
Airport names match pretty much what they are officially called (some "international" etc. suffixes may've been dropped), and that is intended to stay that way.

That is how I always experienced it :)  We don't need Los Angeles International, coz we all know that LAX is international ;) but if an Airport is named "Washington Dulles", I'd like the airport to be named like that in AWS too... not just for the "nicer lookout" being named "Dulles-Washington"...

Also: this gives some diversity ;)

Jona L.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.