Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Is it still possible to join games halfway thru (and do well?)  (Read 1750 times)

Marksw76

• Former member
Hi all

Just wondered what peoples thoughts were if they think it is still possible to join a game 30% - 50% of the way through and still create a successful airline?

I'm thinking that maybe all the slots will be taken and all the profitable routes covered?

If so what would be the best game to join with a better chance? I would like to join Modern Times2 but think it maybe a waste of time now

:-\ :-\

DenisG

• Former member
Re: Is it still possible to join games halfway thru (and do well?)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
Hi Marksw76.

Yes, it is possible and can indeed be pretty funny and exciting to take on the incumbents as a newcomer...

Best regards,
Denis

ucfknightryan

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 10:22:12 PM »
Obviously I can't say how successful I will ultimately be, but I had to restart in ATB a game year or so ago, and I've got 80 aircraft and am profitable.  Just be very thorough in your search for an airport, and make sure you find one with enough slots.

Online schro

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 11:18:22 PM »
I joined MT1 halfway through and did pretty well for my first game world. I just joined atb at its 50 percent mark so we'll see. If you can pick a good airport you should do fine. It's at the point in the game where a lot of the dominant players get bored...

Curse

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 11:18:29 PM »
It's clever to wait until one of the big guys declare bankrupt and catch the now empty airport.

Problems are the slots at big airports, they are all gone. Long-haul to Heathrow, Amsterdam, Tokyo? Nearly impossible if you aren't hunting the slots.

forsberc

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 07:00:35 AM »
It's more than possible and I agree with all of you, loads of fun. I have actually never started at the beginning of a game world and I have done well in the various games I have played.

Online type45

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 09:07:38 AM »
In TMT2 there should be some airports still free, but don't think about those bigger airports

Obviously I can't say how successful I will ultimately be, but I had to restart in ATB a game year or so ago, and I've got 80 aircraft and am profitable.  Just be very thorough in your search for an airport, and make sure you find one with enough slots.

maybe you need to reduce your workload? ;)

MattDell

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 01:18:46 AM »
Yeah, it's definitely possibly.  You just can't be picky about where you start your airline.  If you're trying to start an airline where one person has 75% of the slots, you're going to be disappointed.  If you find a good-sized airport with no airlines based at it, it's very very easy to start up an airline.

I actually had fun after bankrupting in ATB.  My business was good, but I expanded too quickly.  After bankrupting at LCY, I opened up my airline again and two other airlines hopped in within a game week!  I was so mad, but I knew all the good routes so I was able to compete better than they could!  One of them was based at FRA and only had LCY as a base.  I was able to bankrupt him with my strategy, even though he had another base to fall back on!

I always have fun in this game, but that was probably the most fun I've had.  It's a great feeling to start up in the middle of a game, fight off two airlines, and be more successful than you were before!

Sorry for the long post!  Long story short, YES you can start up an airline mid-game.  Just be smart about it.

-Matt

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 04:52:09 AM »
Choosing a HQ is really important. You can choose to start at a smaller base and remain unknown until you store up a nice fleet and attack the bigger airports.

Offline bdnascar3

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 11:49:55 AM »
Is it possible?  Yes. However the problem is the slots and routes with good loads that are available. The ones that are still available are usually in the 100 pax or less per day range, which means you have to use smaller aircraft. While this is ok if you have larger routes to help subiside, its harder to make a profit with just smaller aircraft, as your personnel cost are the same as if you had larger aircraft.

Still this is a fun game, and I actually challenge some of the larger players who get all the slots at the beginning of a game to attempt to make an airline successful after the game is 40% completed.

kone_alta

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 05:56:14 PM »

perhaps you need to look into the root problem of why you need to restart?
(below is a link of MT2)
http://www.airwaysim.com/game/Routes/Planning/RJTT/RJBB
I am curious to know how many seats do you supply on this route?  ;)

MattDell

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 06:26:38 PM »
While this is ok if you have larger routes to help subiside, its harder to make a profit with just smaller aircraft, as your personnel cost are the same as if you had larger aircraft.

Erroneous!  I have built a 4-base airline strictly on Q400's and have quite a healthy profit.  In my experience, smaller planes are advantageous due to the frequency needed to fly them.

-Matt

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 06:39:54 PM »
Erroneous!  I have built a 4-base airline strictly on Q400's and have quite a healthy profit.  In my experience, smaller planes are advantageous due to the frequency needed to fly them.

-Matt

Long Haul Intl is still where the money is at.

Online type45

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 02:36:14 PM »
Long Haul Intl is still where the money is at.

well......that's may not correct if you lease a 767 to run it, my MD-80s can earn much more than it ;)

unsaid

• Former member
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 09:19:07 AM »
I joined ATB 5 years after started at LAX. One of the big airlines just went bankrupt there, I think it was curse's airline. So many slots, so much demand. I now have 210 planes, A300-600s, B753s and B773s, all big planes, and I am doing like 35 million profit every week. Just try to find a big airport with no competitors, and people go bankrupt all the time, believe me. In ATB, Fort Worth is quite interesting right now for example. 

Curse

• Former member
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 10:02:02 AM »
Yep, was mine. But for example if I hadn't left ATB, KLAX would not have been a possible start airport for smaller airlines.

In Jet Age (and all other game worlds it's the same and I posted it above already) were some good possibilities to start a new airline due to bankruptcy of big airlines, problems here are slots at your target airports may gone.

So: In ATB you have best chances with a late join because of the huge amount of slots and demand even between smaller cities.

Offline NorgeFly

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 02:24:36 PM »
It absolutely is possible, but the strategy you use is important. As some have already said, when you join late in the game it's probably easier to find a small to mid-size airport which is under-served and build a niche airline.

For example, I joined MT2 ten years in - my airline is now 2 years old and has over 30 ATR's and 10+ on order. I'm not making a fortune, but I am profitable and holding my own against a much larger competitor.

If I start late in the game I always try and stay away from the major hubs and the competition that comes with it, at least until I have some cash behind me and a better company image.

Offline Cardinal

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 10:03:52 PM »
I'm doing pretty well in JA2, despite all the useful airports already having 2,3,4 airlines based there.  Find a smaller airport that is empty, or a big airport with only one or two airlines based there, and be prepared to fly 50-seaters or smaller for a while.  And pay attention to who is going bankrupt... because it means slots are opened up there, so if you were shut out of flying there from your base, it might now be possible.

Zabuti

• Former member
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 07:28:12 PM »
Tip : look for good airports in Third World countries... it pays well because there is far less competition !

Sandager

• Former member
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 09:13:51 PM »
 AS flobacca says, go for the third world countries.

You will not create the biggest airliner in the gameworld. BUT it is more challenging and less competition. It is indeed possible

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.