An A380 site I made

Started by MattDell, July 07, 2010, 03:25:44 AM

MattDell

Hello AWS'ers,

I have been slaving away the past few weeks on a site dedicated to the Airbus A380 and the time has come to share the fruit of my labor.  It's an idea I've had for a few years, but have only recently had the time or skills to make it happen.  Basically, the concept is "Who flies the A380 and where do they fly them."  I also wanted to add a visual cue using a map, with admittedly some inspiration from this website.

Anyway, this is the first time I've showed it to anyone so please let me know if you like it, if you don't like it, or what could be improved!

Check it out: http://www.fly-a380s.com

Cheers,
-Matt

GDK

Nice. :)

Maybe you can add in who has ordered the 380 but haven't get it delivered.

RushmoreAir

I was on a Qantas A380 YSSY-KLAX when it was only three weeks old!  The captain let me up in the cockpit when we landed in LAX.  It was amazing.

swiftus27

Quote from: RushmoreAir on July 07, 2010, 06:33:20 PM
I was on a Qantas A380 YSSY-KLAX when it was only three weeks old!  The captain let me up in the cockpit when we landed in LAX.  It was amazing.

either you are a pilot, a sky marshal, or you have abilities I dont want to know about.

0zlw

Quote from: swiftus27 on July 07, 2010, 07:14:11 PM
either you are a pilot, a sky marshal, or you have abilities I dont want to know about.

Or he could be a cute kid that the pilot just couldn't refuse :P

swiftus27

Quote from: 0zlw on July 07, 2010, 07:16:29 PM

Very illegal in the USA. 

castelino009

Lovely site, well done mate, good job, there is site which tells all the future reg and movements of all A380 in TLS. cannot remember the site now and have lost all my bookmarks recently.

Will add here if I find it.

Good job, keep it up.

VJC

swiftus27

I find this plane to be fascinating but it appears from pages all over the internet that people believe that this is by far the best plane in the world.   Other than being the biggest, there are so many aspects about the A380 that make it far less attractive than many other A/C out there now.  I personally love the 777 and the A318 for various reasons.  I can't wait to see some of the E Jets and Sukhoi types over the next few years.  

As we know from this game, this plane is made for airports with tons of demand but few slots.... As it is in real life as well as it is less efficient than most jumbos on a per pax basis.  

Also, as a question, due to the amount of space required between an A380 and the next plane that takes off after it, does it only take up one slot in real life?  

RushmoreAir

Quote from: swiftus27 on July 07, 2010, 07:14:11 PM
Quote from: 0zlw on July 07, 2010, 07:16:29 PM

I was the latter . . .

I was chatting about Learjets with my FA, who was a learjet pilot himself.  He actually offered me a tour of the cockpit. I was only allowed 5 minutes, or else customs would get annoyed, but it was cool.

BTW Swiftus:  It was at LAX.

WesternU

Great site.  Well done. ;D

Nice touch with the route maps for each airline as well as each city.  I also like how you have individual summary pages for each airline with a list of planes, routes, and destinations.  One thing for the future would be to perhaps add the ability to filter the planes tab by airline, especially as the numbers grow.  This way we can look at just one airlines fleet without having to go to the individual summary.

Again, absolutely brilliant job.

MattDell

Cheers, guys!  It's great to hear positive feedback!   8)

In the next week or so I plan on adding airlines that have placed orders for the A380 (it's just a matter of finding the correct data), expanding the routes into more detail instead of just linking to FlightStats.com, and expanding the planes into more detail as well.

-Matt

Filippo

very very nice! :)

I think that a map of all the routes and airlines of all the A380s would be nice as well to show how they span the globe :)

MattDell

Quote from: Filippo on July 07, 2010, 09:32:10 PM
very very nice! :)

I think that a map of all the routes and airlines of all the A380s would be nice as well to show how they span the globe :)

Hah, that was actually my first approach.  It's a bit confusing in reality: http://www.fly-a380s.com/routes/

(this is currently not linked to the rest of the site)

-Matt

raptorva

Quote from: swiftus27 on July 07, 2010, 07:22:24 PM
I personally love the 777 and the A318 for various reasons.  I can't wait to see some of the E Jets and Sukhoi types over the next few years.  

I agree with you there, I love the look of that new Sukhoi jet and I also rather like the 787 mostly for how outlandish it appears compared to other current airliners

MattDell

Quote from: raptorva on July 08, 2010, 12:23:30 AM
I agree with you there, I love the look of that new Sukhoi jet and I also rather like the 787 mostly for how outlandish it appears compared to other current airliners

Shall I register some more domain names?  ;)

raptorva

well your A380 site is excellent and quite useful so I think one for the 787 would be useful as it is Boeings 'counter' to the A380.
Would be interesting to see the 787 too as there are plenty of happenings going on with it at the moment due to the certification process

samomuransky

swiftus27

Quote from: raptorva on July 08, 2010, 02:53:03 AM
well your A380 site is excellent and quite useful so I think one for the 787 would be useful as it is Boeings 'counter' to the A380.
Would be interesting to see the 787 too as there are plenty of happenings going on with it at the moment due to the certification process

Raptor, no way is the 787 even supposed to be a remote counter to the A380.  The 747-800 is supposed to do that.  Both are cattle cars best used in airports with few slots.

The 787 is solely there to be more efficient and offer airlines opportunities to use other airports that are not traditionally used for long haul.    Plus, it is a platform to test many new technologies and of course the unique wing that it has. 

raptorva

what I meant in counter was the way in which the company focused its attention and its market outlook. Airbus sees the future of more Hub-Spoke systems using Giant airliners such as the A380 on long haul and has focused on that.

Boeing took the different direction of seeing that more Point-to-point services bypassing major hubs is the way of the future.

The aircraft are entirely different but they were designed during the same time frame as counters in a way to the other despite the differing market outlooks for both companies.

swiftus27

Quote from: raptorva on July 09, 2010, 12:16:36 AM
what I meant in counter was the way in which the company focused its attention and its market outlook. Airbus sees the future of more Hub-Spoke systems using Giant airliners such as the A380 on long haul and has focused on that.

Boeing took the different direction of seeing that more Point-to-point services bypassing major hubs is the way of the future.

The aircraft are entirely different but they were designed during the same time frame as counters in a way to the other despite the differing market outlooks for both companies.

As of yet, we will see which plane wins...  Sadly, there are just so few airports that will pay to support the A380.   Personally, I feel the 787 will win in the end in terms of units sold.