How to make an airline livery?

Started by filipek, July 05, 2010, 04:43:35 PM

filipek

Hi All,

I've been kind of frustrated by the task of drawing my own airline livery. I downloaded the aircraft template that I wanted to use from Jetabout and opened it in GIMP. After that, I've tried a billion different ways to draw a the livery on top of that but I just can't figure it out.

Could someone with some livery-creating experience please help me figure out how to do this?

I've searched through the forum and all I could find was livery requests or displays. No how-to's...

Thanks in advance for your help!

L1011fan

raptorva

The way I do it is I load the Jetabout template in GIMP and then change its colour mode to RGB.
Then I go to the layer toolbar and create a new white layer beneath the template layer (template layer will be named background but is on top).
Then I switch back to the layer on top with template and set 'colour to alpha' in the colour tab to make all the white on the template magically disappear!

From there its simple to just edit the bottom (white only, no template) layer and this will leave all the detail such as windows and the like on top of whatever you do to the layer underneath.

GDK

Wow... Expert was here. ;D

I don't know how to utilize the software to design what I wanted on the layer.... :'(

raptorva

well I do art of dragons as well as aircraft and ship designs usually on paper and in GIMP so I've gotten to learn (by teaching myself) how to do things. I'm not great at making livery myself but I'm getting there. I even made a paint scheme for the FSX CRJ-700 that works

Sami

The couple liveries available at AWS site are also readily layered for easy painting.

Pilk

Where can these be found on AWS site?